Your cows are out!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2j6vmg8b said:
These were the dreaded words I heard early this morning when I was awakened by the phone. I asked the caller what they looked like. Didn't know. Asked where they were out. On the highway. Asked what color they were. Didn't know. Asked if they were sure they were mine because my neighbor 2 miles down the road only has two fences to hold in his earth and eco friendly montarage of animals. Throw my clothes on and drive out to check to be sure they aren't my cows. I pass a herd of goats in the highway then a few geese, see a donkey in the nuts drive but don't see any cows ahh but there they are in other fellas garden eating greens. Probably only green they've had since the last time I got this call. Get to my place and everybody is where it ought to be. This is beginning to get old. Biggest problem I have with this is the first time I blow this off they will be my cows. So I'm DIYDADIYD

Always glad to find out they're not mine. Nothing quite equal to the sound that a sheriff's deputy's flashlight tapping on a steel door in the middle of the night makes. Sends a chill right through me, just thinking about it.

Larry

larryshoat":3pt8c0x0 said:
Always glad to find out they're not mine. Nothing quite equal to the sound that a sheriff's deputy's flashlight tapping on a steel door in the middle of the night makes. Sends a chill right through me, just thinking about it.

Larry

I agree completely. Steer got hit in the road by our property recently. The driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt and got ejected 30 ft. He landed on soft ground and had just a fracture. That stretch is some of our best, newest fence so we don't worry too much about it. But when we got that knock on the door it was really nice to say, "nope we have red cattle not black baldies."

It is always much better to find out that the cattle are not mine. Because my places are stretched out over 4 miles of state highway and almost 4 miles of county road, there are alot of times that cattle in the road gets a call to us first. A few examples of what has happened is: 1. The neighbors and sheriff put 80 head of fresh weaned crazy calves in my 20 acre calf pasture with my calves to get them off the road. Two days later, the guy came looking for his calves and it was a mess trying to get them out as crazy as they were. 2. At 3am, get a call from the sheriff, 30 or 40 black cows are in the road. Where they were, all I have is red angus, so they weren't mine. However, the sheriff has run them with his siren on and they are running through fences into everyone's pastures. There were 8 cows and 4 calves, but they sure tore out alot of fence. No, the sheriff's office didn't offer to help put back the fence where they ran them through. 3. The most recent was I got a call from some new owners of property joining me. They said my cows were in their yard. They don't live there, but bought the place for deer hunting. I went and got them and they pointed to the direction they came from. They were nice and told me to just drive up the 4 wheeler trail they had cut a couple days earlier to look for the spot. I did, and lo and behold, in making the trail close to the fence, they had cut down about a dozen trees across the fence and the fence was on the ground and they had not bothered to move the trees. So, the cows were not totally to blame.
I am sure everyone has stories better than these, but these were just a sample.

stocky":2t308hmg said:
It is always much better to find out that the cattle are not mine. Because my places are stretched out over 4 miles of state highway and almost 4 miles of county road, there are alot of times that cattle in the road gets a call to us first. A few examples of what has happened is: 1. The neighbors and sheriff put 80 head of fresh weaned crazy calves in my 20 acre calf pasture with my calves to get them off the road. Two days later, the guy came looking for his calves and it was a mess trying to get them out as crazy as they were. 2. At 3am, get a call from the sheriff, 30 or 40 black cows are in the road. Where they were, all I have is red angus, so they weren't mine. However, the sheriff has run them with his siren on and they are running through fences into everyone's pastures. There were 8 cows and 4 calves, but they sure tore out alot of fence. No, the sheriff's office didn't offer to help put back the fence where they ran them through. 3. The most recent was I got a call from some new owners of property joining me. They said my cows were in their yard. They don't live there, but bought the place for deer hunting. I went and got them and they pointed to the direction they came from. They were nice and told me to just drive up the 4 wheeler trail they had cut a couple days earlier to look for the spot. I did, and lo and behold, in making the trail close to the fence, they had cut down about a dozen trees across the fence and the fence was on the ground and they had not bothered to move the trees. So, the cows were not totally to blame.
I am sure everyone has stories better than these, but these were just a sample.

Did they end up fixing your fence?

I delivered a hlf dozen 5wt steers to a guy last year who bought them to try to get a greenbelt on some property he'd just purchased. I get there and go through the gate and he just turns them loose in an overgrown field (about eighty acres).

I drive out and he and I sat and visited another forty minutes or so. When I left the propert, I turned out onto the hard road and there on the center line are four of the steers I had just delivered. I dropped my boy off to flag traffic and I drove back into the property to tel the guy and he says, "Yeah I didn't get a chance to fix that fence yet, but I didn't think they'd find the holes with all this grass right here to eat."

My boys roped the four steers and we wrassled 'em back into the trailer, after much sweat and chasing them through folk's yards. Went back in andspent the rest of the day helping him fix fence. He tipped the boys a hundred bucks each for the extra effort and I let him off with a handshake and a cold beer.

Last I heard, he never has found the other two steers we didn't recover for him.

Some folks just ain'tgot a clue...

I lost my very first cow for a couple months because dhe jumped the fence. Since then I've been paranoid about my fences. I can't imagine having known holes or weak spots and worry about losing everything thru those holes

hooknline":3b34m0lk said:
I lost my very first cow for a couple months because dhe jumped the fence. Since then I've been paranoid about my fences. I can't imagine having known holes or weak spots and worry about losing everything thru those holes
Known holes-------haha...well I finally had to attempt to patch up a watergap that has been washed out over 13 years. Never was much of a problem as long as water was in the creek. It's been dry for over a year and other than another neighbors cows getting into the neighbors and walking up the creek onto me it hasn't been a problem...till now. :mad:

I had a lease of 40 acres about 20 miles from the home place. I ran longhorns on it for the summer, well the fence was old but holding my cattle until the jerk next door bulldozed the fence and let my cattle lose into 100 acres of woods leading in to a housing lot with milliopn dollar homes. took over a month to catch and trap 30 head. mr. jerk said he'd get around to fixing the fence in a week or two. a month later and still was not fixed. sheriff said I could sue the jerk for any damage they did to yards.

Latest posts