Your cows are out!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
These were the dreaded words I heard early this morning when I was awakened by the phone. I asked the caller what they looked like. Didn't know. Asked where they were out. On the highway. Asked what color they were. Didn't know. Asked if they were sure they were mine because my neighbor 2 miles down the road only has two fences to hold in his earth and eco friendly montarage of animals. Throw my clothes on and drive out to check to be sure they aren't my cows. I pass a herd of goats in the highway then a few geese, see a donkey in the nuts drive but don't see any cows ahh but there they are in other fellas garden eating greens. Probably only green they've had since the last time I got this call. Get to my place and everybody is where it ought to be. This is beginning to get old. Biggest problem I have with this is the first time I blow this off they will be my cows. So I'm DIYDADIYD

Jogeephus":27gg1p8z said:
These were the dreaded words I heard early this morning when I was awakened by the phone. I asked the caller what they looked like. Didn't know. Asked where they were out. On the highway. Asked what color they were. Didn't know. Asked if they were sure they were mine because my neighbor 2 miles down the road only has two fences to hold in his earth and eco friendly montarage of animals. Throw my clothes on and drive out to check to be sure they aren't my cows. I pass a herd of goats in the highway then a few geese, see a donkey in the nuts drive but don't see any cows ahh but there they are in other fellas garden eating greens. Probably only green they've had since the last time I got this call. Get to my place and everybody is where it ought to be. This is beginning to get old. Biggest problem I have with this is the first time I blow this off they will be my cows. So I'm DIYDADIYD

I hate those late night calls.

Neighbor called a couple days ago said I had some in their pasture..dumaz calves. :frowns: Went down and fixed holes that wouldn't be holes if water would be in the gulleys like it is supposed to.. ' :frowns: Finally had to "fix" the watergap in the creek that washed out 13 years ago too. :frowns: All this trouble cause it doesn't rain! :mad: I guess the best thing about the situation is I didn't have to fight any mud to fix what wouldn't have needed fixing had it been muddy. :?

Always good to have folks looking out for you Jogee....even if they don't know what they are looking at --- or for... :lol:

Look at this away Jo, you got a good early start on the day. Didn't you feel alot better after you found out you didn't have to fix fence.

look at it this way...if and when your cows do get out, at least your neighbors will call you instead of trying to fence your cows in their place and claim em as theirs...just a thought

I'm to the point where I take my neighbors into consideration when I select AI bulls. I never used to worry about disposition much but for the last few years every time I get "the call" it's handled before I get there by someone over the age of seventy. The gentle ones seem to be everyones favorites so that's where I'm headed.
Last year I came to a screaching halt in front of the corrals to find every neighbor I have on foot and various types of farm equipment trying to push twelve head of mexican steers through my front gate... They still don't believe me when I tell them that those things didn't belong to me and I still don't have any idea where they came from. :?

Maybe next time tell the caller to go look and see what color they are.

had a neighbor that couldn't read a brand and put a different neighbors heifers in with ours. :roll:

cow pollinater":2opowu9z said:
Last year I came to a screaching halt in front of the corrals to find every neighbor I have on foot and various types of farm equipment trying to push twelve head of mexican steers through my front gate... They still don't believe me when I tell them that those things didn't belong to me and I still don't have any idea where they came from. :?

Thats some good neighbors. I hope they sold well for you. I just hope some good samaritans don't try to herd the neighbor's geese, goats and donkeys onto my place cause ammunition has just gotten ridiculously high. :lol2:

Just got back from another call. This time it was someone I know and they described seeing a red baldie calf out in the freshly plowed field next to the pasture the mommas are in so I strike out yet again and find footprints right where they said they would be and tracked the calf down. This same calf was in the squeeze chute the other day. Was in the pond field the other week. The hay pen the week before and was being chased frantically by his mother a few weeks ago. I lasso him and toss him in the back of the truck and carry him back to his mother who is beside herself. She tries to chase him down and he hits the fence and comes back to me. I lasso him again and we repeat the ritual. Then it dawns on me. I think the calf is blind. It would explain a lot. Plan on giving him a shot of Vitamin A tomorrow and see if this might be the problem other than that I don't know what to do.

This is the first time in 5 years I've answered this call and its actually had something to do with my cattle.

Jogeephus":10sgg15m said:
You know what K mag yo yo means?

I luv herfrds":f2sp3ece said:
Maybe next time tell the caller to go look and see what color they are.

had a neighbor that couldn't read a brand and put a different neighbors heifers in with ours. :roll:

I've had to put locks on the road gate for that very reason. To many people put the nieghbor's cows in with mine.

Boy, I can sure sympathize with you Jo. My neighbor across the road keeps reporting my cattle are out to the high sheriff. He calls me and says I've got cattle out on the road and says they are white face. I inform him that I don't have any white faced cattle but he wants me to come down to help him push the cattle on to my property!!!!

Last time this happened I penned the cattle (three head), put an ad in the local newspaper and waited for two weeks. When no one called to collect their cattle I sold them with the blessing of the sheriff. Sure didn't get much for the little starved darlin's but it paid for their feed and part of my trouble.

Happens all the time down the road from us. It's a busy road with a lot of curves and one of these days someone's gonna hit one of their roach-backed cows and kill themselves. I think that the 911 people are getting a little tired of it, as well. I don't even call anymore because I figure seven other people have already. He has a house he's been working on, but doesn't live there. The fence has abundant holes.

Dad told me a story several times about having a blind dairy calf growing up in the depression. Said they put a bell on the mama and he learned to follow her around.

Not that you'd want to do that, but it's a good story.

I talked to the vet today and my idea of using Vitamin A was no good. (it figures)

Anyhow, pretty soon I'll be able to start a new debate over which is better; grassfed beef, grainfed beef or teet fed beef cause I have two sides hanging in the cooler. Thus far I've learned that a Sawz-All is much faster than a hand saw when splitting a half and it does a respectable job. Not sure yet but it appears that teet fed t-bones might be a little on the petite side but I'm know for sure in a few days.

Jogeephus":3aou47lf said:
I talked to the vet today and my idea of using Vitamin A was no good. (it figures)

Anyhow, pretty soon I'll be able to start a new debate over which is better; grassfed beef, grainfed beef or teet fed beef cause I have two sides hanging in the cooler. Thus far I've learned that a Sawz-All is much faster than a hand saw when splitting a half and it does a respectable job. Not sure yet but it appears that teet fed t-bones might be a little on the petite side but I'm know for sure in a few days.

Make sure if thats a corded sawzall the ground is good. Got lit-up once while quartering a deer. I guess the beer made it seem like a good idea.

Latest posts