Young Simbra Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckBenham

Reaction score
Our young Simbra looks like a Panda bear.
461_1024.ts1125624128782.jpg

Be kind now Guru. No I didn't lose the knife. I've learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. LOL. No he's not great, but I got what I wanted, I stirred up conversation. LOL. We've got him with about 17 cows now and we'll see what the calves look like this next winter and spring. They may be great, or they may not be so great.
Thanks for the response,
Buck

I think a lot of the concern is that given those colors his calves "MAY" look Holstein influenced. IF people think they see ear and Holstein in the same crossbred calf the docks at some sale barns could be the stuff of legend.

Yes, I agree the color is kind of strange. Supposed to be half semital and half brahman, anyway I'm not sure. When you look at him in life he doesn't look like a milk cow. The color isn't what I'd have liked it to be. LOL. We got 10 cows and the bull in trade for dozer work, LOL. Was a good deal for us. That was before diesel got so expensive. Anyway we'll see what the calves look like. I'll try to keep in touch and show them when they start to come along. Enjoy the responses and advise. Keep in touch,
Buck

BuckBenham":2e42mmxe said:
Be kind now Guru.
Being 'kind' is for babysitters and kindergarten teachers. Doesn't always suit me. Junky cattle go into the beef supply, too. The negative impact that junk has on demand doesn't leave me in the mood to be kind.

As far as the discounts go, if you don't care about quality any more than that, you deserve 'em. I just hope they're deep enough to get your attention. I know that's not very kind, but it's a rough old world. I would tell you better luck next time. But if you've got that little cutting bull running with cows now, you're a long way off from having any better luck. At least worm him and give him something a little extra to eat. Hard to grow a bull on mesquite beans.

That damn runt shoulda been cut the day he was born. IMO anyone using him on a herd of cows should not have any cows. A few like him will bring a calf crop's quality way down, no matter how sorry the mamas are.

BuckBenham":2bxwcpil said:
We got 10 cows and the bull in trade for dozer work, LOL. Was a good deal for us.
It's been pretty well summed up already, but that bull wouldn't have been a good deal to use if you had taken him in off the side of the road for free. The difference in his calves against a decent commercial bull and what he would bring for slaughter would have paid for the new bull. Quickly.

BuckBenham":1bnxh7f3 said:
Was a good deal for us.
The only way he been a good deal is if he was delivered to the slaughter house and you'd have him ground up.

BuckBenham":1w6l8bas said:
I've learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Buck

While beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, quality is very apparent. That is one sorry specimen of a bull!

I think you should eat him now. Don't subject your self to any more riticule.

Scotty

Ya'll are making a decisionand you don't even know his epd's? What if they are off the charts. He could be a +150 for ww and a -7 for bw.

ollie'":25t2lscv said:
Ya'll are making a decisionand you don't even know his epd's? What if they are off the charts. He could be a +150 for ww and a -7 for bw.

Go for it, Ollie. I believe I will pass! ;-)

la4angus":3d88fnzm said:
A few like him will bring a calf crop's quality way down, no matter how sorry the mamas are.
:lol: spank!

I have this reoccuring dream where I walk out one morning and find "Panda" in a set of syncronized heifers. I wake up screaming and my wife has to comfort me and fix me a warm glass of milk so I can go back to sleep.