Young Longhorn bull picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a 17 month old bull that we've just put with a couple of heifers. Not a great picture but what da ya'll think?

100_0011.jpg

I'm sorry R9, but I don't think much of those longhorns. I'm sure you enjoy them and certainly not trying to deny you your efforts, but they are just downright ugly. No muscle, no nothing, but horns and head.
I look at cattle as food. Again, hopefully I'm not being too candid.
P.S. Can they pull a wagon or a plow? Trying to find a reason to justify their existence. :oops:
Just a difference of opinion. ;-)

Sorry that you don't like them-I don't like alot of other breeds either. Guess that's why I don't raise them. They actually have some very good traits to bring to the table. Cross very well with other breeds, virtually no calving difficulties. Less time pulling calves and more time to do other things, a live calf to market rather than a dead one. Heart healthy beef, less fat and waste than other fatty breeds. Longevity-cows and bulls breed up into their late teens as a rule, most other breeds live and produce how long. I hear people talk about having to sell their old eight and nine year olds. Their heads and horns can be marketed after they are gone. I never see a polled head up on the wall plus you have the many different variations in colors as opposed to the whole herd all looking alike-guess I tend to get bored easily. Hides sell well too. Oh yeah, they can be trained to ride and I'm sure they would plow good too. :D

MikeC":3r0ch607 said:
I'm sorry R9, but I don't think much of those longhorns. I'm sure you enjoy them and certainly not trying to deny you your efforts, but they are just downright ugly. No muscle, no nothing, but horns and head.
I look at cattle as food. Again, hopefully I'm not being too candid.
P.S. Can they pull a wagon or a plow? Trying to find a reason to justify their existence. :oops:
Just a difference of opinion. ;-)

How about this one?

S-DMRG.jpg

Or this one.
DSC00141.jpg

They belong to Ryan.

The top one is SD Mr G? I know he's a mature bull. How old is the younger bottom bull? Good bodied animal-I like a little more horn but it also depends on how old he is. I'm trying to combine the two-horn and body. Doesn't always work out though.

Quite an improvement! Starting to like 'em now. The only one's I have seen around here are scrawney little things. Like the one in the first picture. Now you're showing me something I haven't seen!
Like night and day. Thanks!

I'm not a horn man myself. I figure it is like giving Mike Tyson a sword. He may never decide to use it but if he did you're stuck. But if I did decide to get a Longhorn I would go to Ryan. Best Longhorns I've ever seen.

Tod Dague":227f6cs5 said:
How about this one?

Or this one.
DSC00141.jpg

They belong to Ryan.

Thanks for the help Tod. The above bull is SD HORIZON. He was the 2005 World Reserve Senior Champion Bull. On June 6th he weighed exactly 1800lbs at 27month old. He's out with a group of females now that he's off the show circuit.

Ryan

I guess the first bull picture that I posted doesn't do him justice-he's actually a really good looking bull calf if you like Longhorns, really even if you don't he's still a very nice calf. I'll try to get a better picture of him and post it sometime next week. I see other breeds on here that I don't particularly care for but I will admit if they are nice animals. I will definitely get a better picture and see what ya'll think. His head is actually in proportion with his body. I got tired of trying to get a picture of him-he wouldn't be still for me to get a good shot.

Tod, that second cow in your post, the mostly red one would be some kind of calf raiser if put with a charlois bull. When I see long horn cows for sale, that is the type I look for to take the horns off of and breed charlois and keep for a long time. I dont intend to offend you about the horns because I am sure you have a different situation than I do and you want her just like she is. I am just complimenting on what a fine animal she is

How do you judge a longhorn cow or calf or bull? In angus Simmental ect. you look for volume, muscle ect. Longhorns really don't have alot of thickness and rib shape. Do there horns take a major toll in judging. I am not a fan of the whole longhorn thing either but would like to know how to judge them.

stocky":3py8eczi said:
Tod, that second cow in your post, the mostly red one would be some kind of calf raiser if put with a charlois bull. When I see long horn cows for sale, that is the type I look for to take the horns off of and breed charlois and keep for a long time. I dont intend to offend you about the horns because I am sure you have a different situation than I do and you want her just like she is. I am just complimenting on what a fine animal she is
Those are not my cows, I raise Red Angus. They belong to Ryan. I was just very impressed with Ryans Longhorns a while back and felt they deserve to be seen again.

SCfarms":12ig15er said:
How do you judge a longhorn cow or calf or bull? In angus Simmental ect. you look for volume, muscle ect. Longhorns really don't have alot of thickness and rib shape. Do there horns take a major toll in judging. I am not a fan of the whole longhorn thing either but would like to know how to judge them.

Same way. Judging longhorns is, or should be, just like judging any other breed of cattle. Muscle, correctness, sound feet and legs, volumn, capacity, femininity/masculinity, etc... NO emphasis should be placed on the horns or color when they are being judged in the show ring, out in the pasture horns are just a personal preferance.

Ryan

stocky":24ubr2gn said:

She is definantly a calf raiser. She has had 3 calves to date and they have all been at the top of the calf crop.

Ryan

Ryan":1w00i8af said:
SCfarms":1w00i8af said:

Same way. Judging longhorns is, or should be, just like judging any other breed of cattle. Muscle, correctness, sound feet and legs, volumn, capacity, femininity/masculinity, etc... NO emphasis should be placed on the horns or color when they are being judged in the show ring, out in the pasture horns are just a personal preferance.

Ryan

There are different Associations for Longhorns and different show rings among the different associations. Some shows emphasize horns + body; others don't. All one has to do is to look at the various sale catalogs and auction catalogs (some with scores of lots) and see that horns are not in any way neglected from the sales. There is the "Horn Showcase" shows that verifies this.

We should keep a balanced perspective about the type of Longhorns that are selling for high $$, winning at shows, etc. I'm half-way sure the same applies to other breeds as well.

Latest posts