Young LH Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Haven't been on here much, just poke my head in the door every once in a while.
I'm back at the longhorn ranch full-time now. Enjoyed the feed company in Oklahoma, but it wasn't Texas and sitting behind a desk just wasn't for me.

Anyways, here are a couple of our young bulls I'm really proud of. As always, questions, comments, criticisms, etc are welcome.

Escalade (I think I posted a picture of him here before)
D.O.B. 3/27/2011
Picture taken 10/16/12
SanddollarEscalade-001.jpg

Boomstick
D.O.B. 11/1/11
Picture taken back around September 1
SanddollarBoomstick-001.jpg

Ryan

I'm always so impressed by the amount of muscle your cattle exhibit - real beef cattle- unlike most of the LH's I've seen.

Really? I have no idea that these bulls are that impressive for being beefy. I hasn't been around longhorn bulls enough beside the steers and the cows since most ranchers I knew used a bull of different breed to cover the longhorn cows.

Like the look of the bulls , but I hate the color. If the bulls were used in a commercial setting the calfs would get killed at the sale barn. I think the Longhorn breed has a lot to offer, but you need to get more solid color patterns in the bulls.

Taurus":1kup0qye said:
is that a typical thing for them being have small horns as yearlings?

Who was it that said there is no such thing as a dumb question? He obviously hasn't stopped by here lately!

Gelbvieh 5":jg5arqjl said:
Taurus":jg5arqjl said:

Who was it that said there is no such thing as a dumb question? He obviously hasn't stopped by here lately!
Well their horns looks awfully smaller for a yearling longhorn.

insurman":1tnek4wj said:
Serious question...so what does one do with longhorn cattle/bulls? Is is just for the horns?

Heart doctors are telling their clients they can eat all the beef they want, provided it is LH. Got an old freezer beef customer asking me to provide him with a LH every year and I cannot do it.

Ryan those are some fine looking LH's.

houstoncutter":ucx6cfex said:
Like the look of the bulls , but I hate the color. If the bulls were used in a commercial setting the calfs would get killed at the sale barn. I think the Longhorn breed has a lot to offer, but you need to get more solid color patterns in the bulls.

We've been doing real good at the sale barn with our culls lately compared to what we used to get, and actually the dock isnt nearly as bad as it used to be comparing to solid colored, polled animals. Then again, Decatur does a good job marketing the longhorns since there are so many in their area.

Taurus":ucx6cfex said:
Gelbvieh 5":ucx6cfex said:
Taurus":ucx6cfex said:

Well their horns looks awfully smaller for a yearling longhorn.

They do have smaller horns for their age compared to most animals being advertised. But, we place very little emphasis on horn since you cannot eat them and they have zero influence on production. We are trying to improve the CATTLE, not raise exotics. With all the variations within the breed, I say to each their own.

Insurman,
We are a cow/calf operation and raise our cattle for seedstock purposes and for show cattle.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Ryan

I went to a LH show a couple weeks ago at the Winnie Rice Festival. Some nice animals, and I didn't see them all, but the majority of them didn't look near as good as the ones pictured here in this thread--especially the top pic. Even being from Texas, I have to admit I know nothing about the breed as it is today.
Do you nose ring all your bulls?

Greybeard,
Yes. Well, all bulls we plan to show. The association requires a nose ring in all bulls being shown, and the permanent ones are easier and more effective than the temporary ones.

Thanks for the compliments on the bulls. The top bull has been pretty successful in the show ring. Hoping he continues his winning this weekend in Dallas.

Ryan

Ryan, its good to see you here again! AND showing off those handsome LH's of yours. Very nice, very beefy compared to any of the LH's I see in my area.

Personally, I like all the color.

Katherine

Taurus":14iyqyfq said:

Only if you breed for "beef" and not for total package. Our Longhorns usually have 30" at 12 to 18 months old. Our bulls have horns ranging between 75 and 96" as 5 to 8 year olds. One of our 20 month old heifers had 53" total horns at the TLBAA Horn Showcase this month.

If one of our animals doesn't have horns 24" by 12 months old...they are possible candidates for cross-breeding service and/or the Sale Barn.

By the way, we also have some great bodied Longhorns with nice horns too. However, we have only kept one "beef type" Longhorn for special breeding uses (e.g., cross-breeding or freezer beef).

Check out our website for our photos. runningarrowlonghorns dot com

No offense Ryan or similar breeders. You do have some great looking beefy animals!

Running Arrow Bill":3u7hihvx said:
Taurus":3u7hihvx said:

Only if you breed for "beef" and not for total package. Our Longhorns usually have 30" at 12 to 18 months old. Our bulls have horns ranging between 75 and 96" as 5 to 8 year olds. One of our 20 month old heifers had 53" total horns at the TLBAA Horn Showcase this month.

If one of our animals doesn't have horns 24" by 12 months old...they are possible candidates for cross-breeding service and/or the Sale Barn.

By the way, we also have some great bodied Longhorns with nice horns too. However, we have only kept one "beef type" Longhorn for special breeding uses (e.g., cross-breeding or freezer beef).

Check out our website for our photos. runningarrowlonghorns dot com

No offense Ryan or similar breeders. You do have some great looking beefy animals!
Soon we're gonna name them shorthorns. It's funny that we're try to change their looks into something that we want them to be.... Just like Black Herefords :hide:

Taurus":1k535dc4 said:
. It's funny that we're try to change their looks into something that we want them to be....

Isn't That the name of the breeding game? To find a breed you like and improve it the best way you know how? I don't believe I have changed the type of cattle Longhorns are, But have added more to them and gotten them to that weight quicker. Although these bulls for their age do not have a lot of horn, I do believe looking through my herd that all of my animals have more than adequate horn for their body size. Especially when compared to the true history of the breed and not the huge horns of recent years.

Ryan

Ryan":7yw8g0f2 said:
Taurus":7yw8g0f2 said:
. It's funny that we're try to change their looks into something that we want them to be....

Isn't That the name of the breeding game? To find a breed you like and improve it the best way you know how? I don't believe I have changed the type of cattle Longhorns are, But have added more to them and gotten them to that weight quicker. Although these bulls for their age do not have a lot of horn, I do believe looking through my herd that all of my animals have more than adequate horn for their body size. Especially when compared to the true history of the breed and not the huge horns of recent years.

Ryan

Ryan, don't pay too much attention to Taurus. He doesn't seem to know much about breeding cattle....

Certainly some of the beefier LH bull calves I've seen. Well done! :tiphat:

Latest posts