Young Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Thought I would share a couple of photos. This is a young polled bull (just turned two) bred by Bill Hathcock and sold to Josh and Jerry Simpson in North Carolina. He is a blend of Neil Trask and Victor Domino bloodlines.

Hathcock171son2.jpg

Hathcock171son1.jpg

His eyes will be pre-disposed to cancer eye. Too much white sclera and the iris appears to be too small for the size of the eyeball.

MarkM":flk3q4ry said:
Be specific on the eye comments for those of us that are complete noobs and trying to learn.
I'm guessing the eye comments are tongue in cheek from an old thread(s) somewhere..kinda like the "fallin apart' is.
Link?

greybeard":2mkk99hi said:
MarkM":2mkk99hi said:
Be specific on the eye comments for those of us that are complete noobs and trying to learn.
I'm guessing the eye comments are tongue in cheek from an old thread(s) somewhere..kinda like the "fallin apart' is.
Link?
nope,, he means it :cowboy:

Mr Hambly that looks like my kind of bull! Sure would like to know his frame score.

As far as the eyes, from Knersie's earlier posts, he often stresses eyeset that is more recessed when viewed from the front so the eyes are not poking directly into his very difficult grazing conditions.

I think it comes back to a point my vet made to me during a herd working visit - "There is no such thing as a perfect bull". He was too polite to add "especially in [my] price range"!.

My vet stressed deciding which were the most important traits to me, in my system, climate, location, market, etc. Prioritize them most important to least important. Then look for a bull that meets the highest priority wants/needs. There will probably not be a bull that meets all wants.

Then you realize that the bull is half of the calf and use the cow to correct the lower priority wants not met by the bull... but you have most of what you need. I have seen this concept work well in my small operation.

I like the bull pictured - reminds me of my Huth U070 in many ways. Thanks for the pictures.

Jim

Pigmentation around the eyes and eye set would not make him appealing here in Australia because of the warmer climate. Eye cancer had been a major problem in Herefords and Poll Herefords but seldom is it even mentioned now because of the work of breeders paying a lot of attention to having a nice red eye and having eyes recessed so that they not bulging or "pop eyed" as we might say. Body wise he is an ok bull.

Latest posts