Young Gelbvieh Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is my first gelbvieh bull. He is an aggresive breeder yet very docile. Fire Away.
IMG813_zpsf22b2aaa.jpg~c200

muhlenberg man":24i70zz2 said:
This is my first gelbvieh bull. He is an aggresive breeder yet very docile. Fire Away.
IMG813_zpsf22b2aaa.jpg~c200

How old, how many cows is he on, how was he finished. What's his breeding.

Don't quote me on this because I can't find his registration number to look him up. He is around 19 months old. I bought him at 14 months and the breeder said he was on very little grain. He has had only hay and grass on my place. He is on 25 commercial Angus cross cows. I think he was out of Carolina Fortune, but I could be wrong. I looked at 20 bulls that day.

Not a great picture but his lack of feed shows some and that's a lot of cows for a 19month old. I would give him a bit more set to his hind legs and a couple of hundred pounds.

Be sure you feed him good this winter. That sophomore year is hard on young bull. BTW Fortune is some good blood. Lots of carcass there.

Lotta potential there. 3 way is spot on. Incorporate some high quality feed into his diet or he will never reach his full potential.

19 month old bull on 25 cows....could be trouble ahead? or at least a very spread out calving interval.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but....
I thought the rule of thumb was 1 cow per month of age.

It's pushing the boundaries on what is safe, but it should not really be a problem. I sold a yearling bull 8 years ago that the buyer used on 72 cows and he settled 69 of them. A lot depends on the pasture and amount of grass as well as the size and topography of the land.

KNERSIE":1gvt6gl1 said:
It's pushing the boundaries on what is safe, but it should not really be a problem. I sold a yearling bull 8 years ago that the buyer used on 72 cows and he settled 69 of them. A lot depends on the pasture and amount of grass as well as the size and topography of the land.

What benefit would you expect with two - -rather than one - - yearling bulls on a herd this size?

Stocker Steve":2bz1qn55 said:
KNERSIE":2bz1qn55 said:

What benefit would you expect with two - -rather than one - - yearling bulls on a herd this size?

25 cows?

Not much benefit, just a whole lot more fighting. The key to multiple sire matings is having an established pecking order, preferably bulls of different ages always on odd numbers.

KNERSIE":2olg1k9a said:
25 cows? Not much benefit, just a whole lot more fighting. The key to multiple sire matings is having an established pecking order, preferably bulls of different ages always on odd numbers.

Right now I have 2 herds of about 35 each and 4 bulls... First thought was :
One 2 yr old + one yearling
Two yearlings
I don't know that I would want to put a yearling on 35 head, but I do have a polled one that is extra horny...

I have put a yearling GV bull in with 35 head before , but they were still in a small area and being fed hay rather than a big open pasture. He serviced them all and that group was done in 35 days .

It depends a lot on the bull and the area he has to cover to get his fill of groceries while grazing and breeding .Also it was still cool out and he didn't mind breeding 2-3 head a day sometimes.

A lot of the angus breeders around here push their bulls hard, then question how many cows your gonna put him with..I think a lot of it is they are afraid he's gonna melt like a snow ball, then your on the phone asking what happened..or their afraid it well hurt their rep. my new bull is a traveling Jessie, never had work as hard as he has, impressive..

Latest posts