Young Bull Development

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I've read that bull calves should be placed on high energy growth rations when they are being developed as herd sires. But high energy equates to very high corn content which may be bad for the liver and long term health. What do you use as feed guide lines when preparing a young herd sire.

I dont feed our replacement bulls any differant than i feed my cows. I feed the the best ration that I can to all the animals. I think that I raise good bulls that gives nice calves.

dcara":zsupo3gs said:
I've read that bull calves should be placed on high energy growth rations when they are being developed as herd sires. But high energy equates to very high corn content which may be bad for the liver and long term health. What do you use as feed guide lines when preparing a young herd sire.
I always buy young bulls and the one I bought this last year was 13 mos when I got him. I always start them with a small herd that I have. I put him with 14 cows and 5 heifers and he did a good job. The grass there is good and I feed them about 3 pounds per head of corn gluten and soy pellets every 5 days as they rotate through the lot. I always watch them and if they start slipping I feed them more. This one did good until about august or september and it was getting dry. I starting hand feeding him alone at the rate of 2 gallons a day. He has really grown on it but is not fat. I like to feed young bulls a little this way too because it gets them where I can get them up or move them anywhere I want to. They think of good things when they see you.

I guess I should have told you my feed ration, 50lbs of corn silage per head, 4 lbs of our own feed mix (soybean meal- dry distillers -minerals- ear corn), per head and free choice hay. Hay consists of dry hay and alalfa baleage.

High energy feeds burn out their livers and contribute to the ruining of bulls by storing fat in places that you don't want or need it. High protein, moderate fat feeds are what you want, say 80% rolled oats with 20% rolled corn. Best bulls you can buy are fed moderate protein feeds their first year, pastured over the summer and then fed hay and a little corn silage their 2nd year before being used as a 2 year old.

I don't believe in yearling bulls. They get pushed way too hard on the feed and then get pushed to breed a fair number of cows, by us, come summer. If I had a choice between buying a $1600 yearling and a $2500-3000 2 year old, I'll buy the 2 year old every time...as long as I know he has been grown out properly. :cowboy:

High energy feeds burn out their livers and contribute to the ruining of bulls by storing fat in places that you don't want or need it. High protein, moderate fat feeds are what you want

I agree with this. High energy content is for finishing, ie packing on fat, unfortunately that also means in the neck of the scrotum. Why put extra weight and strain on the developing structure of the immature bull?

In my opinion the best way to grow young bulls out for own use is to give them free choice alfalfa hay or on pasture supplemented with a little alfalfa hay if needed. On the straight alfalfa they grow equally well, are in very good condition without getting obese.

This bull was 17 months in this photo and he was grown out on just straight alfalfa hay.

HVR0712.jpg

Aaron":21v4a4hm said:
I don't believe in yearling bulls. They get pushed way too hard on the feed and then get pushed to breed a fair number of cows, by us, come summer. If I had a choice between buying a $1600 yearling and a $2500-3000 2 year old, I'll buy the 2 year old every time...as long as I know he has been grown out properly. :cowboy:

I guess as long as you know the breeder real well, then you know he has been grown out properly... otherwise its a crap shoot.

Aaron":2si3nnwk said:
High energy feeds burn out their livers and contribute to the ruining of bulls by storing fat in places that you don't want or need it. High protein, moderate fat feeds are what you want, say 80% rolled oats with 20% rolled corn. Best bulls you can buy are fed moderate protein feeds their first year, pastured over the summer and then fed hay and a little corn silage their 2nd year before being used as a 2 year old.

I am with you. I feed my bulls after weaning a ration consisting of dry distillers grain and cracked corn, and the premix. Only about 7-8 pounds of the ration a day, along with free choice grass hay and 5 lbs of alfalfa a day. Mine then get sent to the association's "test" in early summer, and are sold as 19-20 month old bulls in the fall. The test really isn't a test to see who can gain the most. They get fed a very high forage ration.

In my area, a lot of guys have smaller pastures, (myself included) with maybe only 15-25 pairs. Sticking a yearling bull in with more than 15 cows to service can lead to not so good things, where a 20 -24 month old bull would handle them just fine.

I start our calves out on a 16% protien 2% fat diet, it consists of corn, soybean meal, oats, DD, and some sort of protein pellet.

Once they get to 1000lbs or so I cut back the protein to 13%, and go to a 4% feed. They are free fed hay, and run on a small paddock that doesn't really produce any grass but keeps them out of the mud.

Last year I had some bulls gain upwards of 6.5lbs per day, but most gain around 4.5lbs per day. Our cattle this year gained an average of 2.2lbs per day on momma and grass. One did really well and gained 3.1lbs per day.

Latest posts