Bull and replacement heifer ration

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a grinder/mixer on what I think is a good price. Anybody care to share their ration on what they're feeding their replacements? Trying to pencil out if I'll save money doing this

Here is a 12.5% protein ration from one of Kirby's nutritionists.

1250 lbs corn
266 lbs roasted beans
400 lbs oats or barley
84 lbs Kirby beef finisher

If you don't have scales on you grinder mixer, you can weigh a component once, then go by volume.
I think you can substitute soybean meal for roasted beans. Slightly more protein with meal.
I use oats or barley because I have it, and I can raise barley cheaper than corn.

I have quite a bit of WCS. Had a guy that used to run a feed mill tell me to put 3 parts ground corn to 1 part WCS. That sound right?

True Grit Farms":vol2vks2 said:
https://site.extension.uga.edu/lowndesecholsag/2018/06/is-cottonseed-going-to-make-my-bulls-infertile/
There's been a lot of studies and test done on WCS and it's effects at different ag schools throughout the country.
Great article. I will steal it for my newsletter. Good to see updated info. I was always told the old story (of course I AM old, so been hearing the old info for many years.)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2j8h92lu said:
True Grit Farms":2j8h92lu said:
https://site.extension.uga.edu/lowndesecholsag/2018/06/is-cottonseed-going-to-make-my-bulls-infertile/
There's been a lot of studies and test done on WCS and it's effects at different ag schools throughout the country.
Great article. I will steal it for my newsletter. Good to see updated info. I was always told the old story (of course I AM old, so been hearing the old info for many years.)
Jeanne with my luck my bull would be the only bull in the county to go sterile and right before breeding season. Fact remains WCS can and will cause temporary sterility in bull if overfed. Weigh your seed if you feed it and do not go by volume and no need to "max" them out either.

WCS and corn as mentioned above is a good supplement for growing/fattening terminal cattle. I will not not feed WCS to any cattle used for replacements due to reproductive issues (Testicular degeneration, motility, morphology etc.) confirmed in a BSE. I discovered this the hard way and paid the price. However, given time the animal can sometimes recover, but your losses are permanent. I was feeding inside the "recommended" allowance of 6 lbs per head per day as mentioned in the article posted above as well, never again. Its not worth the risk.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23k2sb54 said:
True Grit Farms":23k2sb54 said:
Farmgirl":23k2sb54 said:
5S,

Be careful feeding WCS to bulls.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

With all due respect what are y'all basing your warnings on.. something you've read or experience.
Today's cotton has practically none of the chemical that causes problems with breeding bulls. My uncle breeds and sells registered Angus bulls. They get wcs and hay. Weaning until sale. All pass BSE. ....
I read here the other day Bigfoot was loose in Kentucky.

callmefence":3q77eh33 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3q77eh33 said:
True Grit Farms":3q77eh33 said:
Farmgirl":3q77eh33 said:
5S,

Be careful feeding WCS to bulls.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

With all due respect what are y'all basing your warnings on.. something you've read or experience.
Today's cotton has practically none of the chemical that causes problems with breeding bulls. My uncle breeds and sells registered Angus bulls. They get wcs and hay. Weaning until sale. All pass BSE. ....
I read here the other day Bigfoot was loose in Kentucky.

No, he has a home. Raises cattle I hear.

5S Cattle":eerc311l said:
I have the opportunity to buy a grinder/mixer on what I think is a good price. Anybody care to share their ration on what they're feeding their replacements? Trying to pencil out if I'll save money doing this

If the one you buy is like mine, a New Holland, don't expect it to mix very good. The walls are not steep enough for the corn to keep falling down and mixing good. Maybe if the corn is powder dry and ground coarse it will work okay.

I usually add as I grind a little at a time, which can be a pain.

Finely ground feed "can" be a problem for their digestive system - acidosis I believe. Course is best - like WHOLE shell corn. You do loose a little efficiency, but the savings in cost & health compensates.

jltrent":3inpnhjp said:
5S Cattle":3inpnhjp said:

If the one you buy is like mine, a New Holland, don't expect it to mix very good. The walls are not steep enough for the corn to keep falling down and mixing good. Maybe if the corn is powder dry and ground coarse it will work okay.

I usually add as I grind a little at a time, which can be a pain.
Looking at a new holland 354. What do you use in yours?