bull vs steer for freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
We sell some calves every year for freezer beef. In the past they've all been steers. I had a lady request a bull calf this year. If the calves are processed when they're 800 pounds or so ( which is what our customer want due to freezer capacity, etc) will there be any issues with flavor or tenderness at the weight? I don't ever remember there being any when we've personally eaten bull calves in the past but was curious about other's experience.

I told the lady I would be happy to accomodate her request.....so I'm just curious to know others' opinions.

The beef that we are using on now is from a bull that was 16 months at slaughter and probably weighed over 1400 lbs. The meat is very tender and has a really good flavor. I wondered about a difference before we had the calf processed, and now afterwards I would say that there is very little if any difference between the meat of a young bull or steer.

Doubt there's any real difference at that age. But I'm curious as to her reasoning for wanting a bull vs a steer?

Probably an acquired taste.
I've heard several people, (and I agree) say they preferred young bull beef over steer beef with the explanation that it has a more pronounced and 'sweeter' taste. I've had one, and I liked it better than the steer beef I've had.

I have an 800 lb. bull in the freezer right now. Grass feed and about as good as I have ever had.

Doubt it will affect the tenderness but it very well may have better flavor

I believe you will find, all things being equal, steers will deposit more fat and marbling than bulls, especially if taken to full finish. 800 lb. live weight is probably a wash on one vs. the other. 800 lb.hanging weight would be a bigger difference. I wouldn't cut a bull over 600 lbs or 10 months if you're going to kill early though. Not worth the backwards slide.