butchering a young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

dansangus

Reaction score
I noticed one of steers I kept back for butchering this fall is not quite a steer. When bindering calves last spring,I must have missed one nut.This animal is 11 months old. To late for the vet to cut him? I usually send the steers in to be processed mid Oct. So my question is-butcher now or have the vet out? Thanks Dan

As a newer poster I wish you received more opinions .... And a bump. At 11 months he should not have reached maturity and if he was mine I would cut him and treat him just as I would a young steer.

I did the exact same thing last year. I some how missed one.............I had the vet out and he knife cut him. Your not going to even notice a difference by the time he is two years old or so. I could not notice a difference in the carcass but we put him in our freezer just in case and he was exceptional beef. For the cost of the vet you could invest in the Callicrate bander as mentioned above and then you would have one for next time it happens. I have banded yearlings lots of times

dansangus":21shqo1m said:
I noticed one of steers I kept back for butchering this fall is not quite a steer. When bindering calves last spring,I must have missed one nut.This animal is 11 months old. To late for the vet to cut him? I usually send the steers in to be processed mid Oct. So my question is-butcher now or have the vet out? Thanks Dan

Butcher you will be surprised at how good the meat will be from that age calf.

I'd suggest having the vet out to cut him and be there to watch and learn.
It will give you the confidence to properly do it yourself, once you see it done and how easy it is to do.