You saved a life today... thanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Thanks to all, If I named names I would forget many. As you can see I have been here since 2004. I just want to say thank you very much for giving me tips and and advice throughout the years. This afternoon I had my last cow of the season, a first time heifer, calve. I first noticed her water bag and preceeded to keep an eye her. By about 4:30pm I could see the feet were presented upside down. I caught her up with the help of my wife. I lubed up my arm with a lube and iodine mix and went in to see where the calf was. I followed the legs up and could only feel tail and butt. This was the first calf I experienced coming out backwards. Thanks to you guys and gals, I knew to pull easy and with a downward pull. It really wasn't too hard of a pull, but it was backwards. I'm pretty tried and all I want to say is thanks to all the people on the boards. It saved a heifers life today. Thanks to all who gave advice willingly throughout the years. See below:

Alan

IMG_0491.jpg

Thanks to all who gave advice willingly throughout the years

I will second this remark.... Im close to finishing with my 2nd calving season, the knowledge and advise that is shared on here has without a doubt saved a couple of my mommas as well.

Alan, your new baby looks a little shell-shocked. I guess that's understandable, considering the circumstances of her birth though. :lol: She's a cutie!

Would ya' just look at that beautiful baby...and happy, relieved momma!

Good job!

Alice

Way to go Alan. The first time is always the worse but don't count on all of them being that easy. HOPEFULLY you will never have to do it again though.

I bet you smile everytime you think about the birthing. It is SUCH a great feeling to save a life.
Congratulations.
There are many who read the posts, but still don't "get it". You did great!!
By the way, it feels just as good after 30 years :heart:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2pf3wzua said:
I bet you smile everytime you think about the birthing. It is SUCH a great feeling to save a life.
Congratulations.
There are many who read the posts, but still don't "get it". You did great!!
By the way, it feels just as good after 30 years :heart:

Jeanne, when it doesn't put a smile on your face to see every calf born alive and healthy, it's time to get out of the business. I get excited about all aspects of the business. My wife is always telling me ENOUGH with the cow talk :))) but she is the first one to ask are we going to this sale or that upcoming sale.

One of my mentors is a real oldtimer who is at least a third generation hereford breeder and to see how excited he still gets about the results of a well planned mating really puts a smile on my face.

The cattle, business with all its hardships, is still probably the most fulfilling adventure anyone can ever experience.

From seeing the pic does nt it make it all worth while

job well done the pair look great so cute

Alan :)

Your never to old to learn something new.

Alan,

No, thank you. Thank you for taking the time to learn what to do to bring one of God's creatures into this world in a time of emergency.
Both your girls look great and I'm sure with your continued care and concern they will be just fine.
SL

Latest posts