You ever have one vanish??????

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":21tkt31z said:
Bigfoot":21tkt31z said:
Seems like I do every year. Sometimes 2. No sign, no nothing. You always wonder what happened. Then you gotta sell the cow. That's a big loss to. Was it a dog, a coyote, Mexican buzzards-------------frustrating.

Haven't lost one yet. I thought I had a few times, but it always turned up alive sooner or later.

Just curious, why do you have to sell the cow?

As a general rule, I sell everything that doesn't have a calf. I would have to winter her twice, for the next calf. Be no profit left in her, that's assuming she weaned one the next time.

herofan":1jm23qlg said:
Bigfoot":1jm23qlg said:
Seems like I do every year. Sometimes 2. No sign, no nothing. You always wonder what happened. Then you gotta sell the cow. That's a big loss to. Was it a dog, a coyote, Mexican buzzards-------------frustrating.

Haven't lost one yet. I thought I had a few times, but it always turned up alive sooner or later.

Cow that doesn't raise a calf has to take its place on the trailer here.
I would have 1100 dollars in the cow in two years with no return.

js1234":3ufhye0g said:
Mid-May of 2010 when we gathered that ranch to wean the calves, for the second year, mixed in with the pairs, were 12 of the steers that had gone MIA 2 years earlier. These now 3 year old, long tailed steers were averaging not quite 1,300lbs and trailing in those cows and calves.

These National Forest steers could be a gold mine! :cowboy:
Did you consider selling them as grass fed?

Bigfoot":38512otb said:
herofan":38512otb said:
Bigfoot":38512otb said:

As a general rule, I sell everything that doesn't have a calf. I would have to winter her twice, for the next calf. Be no profit left in her, that's assuming she weaned one the next time.

Do you replace the cow by keeping a heifer?

herofan":2ucc2dm3 said:
Bigfoot":2ucc2dm3 said:
herofan":2ucc2dm3 said:

Do you replace the cow by keeping a heifer?

Yes. I know logic in our area dictates that the heifer will be just as long selling a calf as this cow, so might as well keep the cow. I used to do Some of that myself.

I guess my train of thought is sell her-------generate some income to feed the machine.

If I look at my farm as a factory, and the output is live animals, then I have to make decisions that leads to the maximum number of calves per year.

Hard to explain the thought process, but I'll try:
1. Say you had 100 cows

2. You likely may have a 3% death loss

3. That leaves you with 97 calves

4. Your going to keep the 15 best heifers no matter what

5. Consistently cull slow breeders, cows that wean small calves, etc and so on

6. You going to sell 82 calves every year, and every cow that gives a reason

7. By the time you sell your 82 calves, plus a few bred cows plus a few open, the gross sales are more than they would be on letting a few hang out for free. The age of herd is held a little lower that way, and the productivity continues to rise.

With all of that said, I could still agree, that the heifer cost as much to keep as cow though.

js1234":2tk3c2k6 said:
Have cattle disappear every year. Sometimes, we get some back years later. Odd deal, have a little piece of deeded ground about 5 miles above our headquarters ranch here in California. We bought it back in 2003 because it was close to us and a deal was there to be made. Anyhow, the first 4-5 years we owned the ranch we would buy 650-700 6 weight steers late October/early November, run them over and sell them off the grass in late May. The upper end of the country borders the National Park and is extremely rough. We always were out an unacceptable amount of cattle. The final year we ran yearlings, 672 head of cattle were turned out. We had 4 steers die. When we gathered to ship in May, the cowboys brought 626 head to the pens. We were out 42 head (over confirmed deathloss) or a little over 6%. The guys rode and rode, and I hired a helicopter one morning to clean out some pretty nasty canyons etc., that yielded 14 of our missing steers. Eventually, we wrote off the other 28 in our books as MIA and went on with life. The next year (2008 as I recall) we bought about 175 bred cows to go on that ranch and integrated it in to our Fall calving program. They calved, we branded them etc., and the switch to cows fixed our disappearing cattle issue on that ranch other than a cow here or there that fell within the acceptable deathloss. Mid-May of 2010 when we gathered that ranch to wean the calves, for the second year, mixed in with the pairs, were 12 of the steers that had gone MIA 2 years earlier. These now 3 year old, long tailed steers were averaging not quite 1,300lbs and trailing in those cows and calves. Where they had been the 24 months, including gathering the entire ranch to brand twice and ship once prior, is a mystery.
My place in CA was similar country. The previous owner was convinced someone had been stealing cattle from him. I hired a crew and gathered the place for him at the time of sale as he was elderly. We wound up with twenty head more than what he thought he had on that gather. I probably hauled another forty head off of that place over the next four years including slicks that were six or seven years old. I shot a few that fought my dogs and tried to take a horse out from under me ans had a few die loading them and one that stepped off the trailer in Visalia and died. :lol:
As for my own cattle, I was missing one set of five that lived on a spring way down in a nasty canyon that I had not seen for quite some time. I finally ran out of time and quit looking. I was long gone and settled into my new life in OK when I got a check in the mail from VLM for my cattle. I called the brand inspector and they were running clear up by the park with a couple of fencelines in between them and home.

cow pollinater":37fcr95g said:
js1234":37fcr95g said:
Have cattle disappear every year. Sometimes, we get some back years later. Odd deal, have a little piece of deeded ground about 5 miles above our headquarters ranch here in California. We bought it back in 2003 because it was close to us and a deal was there to be made. Anyhow, the first 4-5 years we owned the ranch we would buy 650-700 6 weight steers late October/early November, run them over and sell them off the grass in late May. The upper end of the country borders the National Park and is extremely rough. We always were out an unacceptable amount of cattle. The final year we ran yearlings, 672 head of cattle were turned out. We had 4 steers die. When we gathered to ship in May, the cowboys brought 626 head to the pens. We were out 42 head (over confirmed deathloss) or a little over 6%. The guys rode and rode, and I hired a helicopter one morning to clean out some pretty nasty canyons etc., that yielded 14 of our missing steers. Eventually, we wrote off the other 28 in our books as MIA and went on with life. The next year (2008 as I recall) we bought about 175 bred cows to go on that ranch and integrated it in to our Fall calving program. They calved, we branded them etc., and the switch to cows fixed our disappearing cattle issue on that ranch other than a cow here or there that fell within the acceptable deathloss. Mid-May of 2010 when we gathered that ranch to wean the calves, for the second year, mixed in with the pairs, were 12 of the steers that had gone MIA 2 years earlier. These now 3 year old, long tailed steers were averaging not quite 1,300lbs and trailing in those cows and calves. Where they had been the 24 months, including gathering the entire ranch to brand twice and ship once prior, is a mystery.
My place in CA was similar country. The previous owner was convinced someone had been stealing cattle from him. I hired a crew and gathered the place for him at the time of sale as he was elderly. We wound up with twenty head more than what he thought he had on that gather. I probably hauled another forty head off of that place over the next four years including slicks that were six or seven years old. I shot a few that fought my dogs and tried to take a horse out from under me ans had a few die loading them and one that stepped off the trailer in Visalia and died. :lol:
As for my own cattle, I was missing one set of five that lived on a spring way down in a nasty canyon that I had not seen for quite some time. I finally ran out of time and quit looking. I was long gone and settled into my new life in OK when I got a check in the mail from VLM for my cattle. I called the brand inspector and they were running clear up by the park with a couple of fencelines in between them and home.
Funny deal, I've gotten a couple surprise checks from VLM too. We send some yearlings to a grass deal up in that country in Exeter and Orosi. Seems like once a year, a check winds up in our office for a big heifer or a couple steers or something that wound up on one of the neighbors and made its way to Randy up there at the barn. Buy some feeder cattle out of there most Spring runs too. Have gone to a few of their special cow sales as well. At their July special in 2006 or 2007 we bought a whole bunch of cows. Went there a couple other times to a special and got many less than I'd planned bought. It's not really my auction of choice but I would tell anyone that those guys up at VLM can sell the wheels off bred stock.

Bigfoot":3nmcve3k said:
One in early fall , 2015. I saw it nursing, maybe 2 days old and looked plenty healthy. Never saw it again and being a fairly small place, I check all mine at least every other day. No hair, no bones, no hide--no nothin. I want to think someone got it, but how they could run down one of those fleet footed chars is a puzzle.

Two years ago a healthy two month old calf disappeared without a trace. The pasture they were in is way back in a corner. Not visible or accessible from any road but there are miles of forest land behind that. I figured a cougar got him and hauled him back up into the timber.

annual-Roswell-cow-abduction-day.jpg

Had a full term still born lat night. counting the MIA, thats 2, out of 52 or 53 born so far. My death loss is going to be a little high this year.

I grafted 2 Holstein bull calves on the cow with a still born. They both sucked while she ate sweet feed this afternoon. Didn't have to tie her thankfully. Hopefully, they all 3 fall in line, and do what they're supposed to. I'll pull one of them at 3 months, and the other at 7. I was just glad to hopefully not have to sell her.

A few winters ago, we caught a pair in the state forest that had been on the lam for a while. A steer and a heifer that looked to be 2ish and weighed 8 or so. The guy that we tracked down as the suspected owner (before we caught them) didn't lay any claim to them. I think he was more worried about the liability of them getting hit in the road than he was about doing the right thing, but one way or the other, they disappeared from somewhere.

greybeard":2n0shnaq said:
Bigfoot":2n0shnaq said:
One in early fall , 2015. I saw it nursing, maybe 2 days old and looked plenty healthy. Never saw it again and being a fairly small place, I check all mine at least every other day. No hair, no bones, no hide--no nothin. I want to think someone got it, but how they could run down one of those fleet footed chars is a puzzle.

Greybeard it couldn't have been cowgirl8's cat could it? :hide:

I was quizzing Dad one day about different things. One of them was if they had ever had any trouble with coyotes getting small calves. He said no, but had one disappear on them a number of years ago that they couldn't explain. Never seen hide nor hair of him.

Had coyotes get a gimpy calf a couple summers back. Found the bones and chewed up tag inside the treeline. He was knuckled over, but getting around alright - didnt think the coyotes would try him mid summer.

We had a few day old calf come up missing for eight days. I thought it might still be around as the cow never called for it and then about 4-5 days into it missing I seen some calf poop on her ear...so I knew she just had it hid. Eight days later it reappeared and all was fine...

Latest posts