Yeild Grade 0 ??

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef":25r849my said:
That doesn't sound like you're making and effort to give us factual and hard evidence that there are papers or sites or books or whatever that YG 0 exists.

I'm still waiting....as is a bunch of other folks....

It has been a lot of years; but (and I am going purely off memory here) a really lean carcass (like .15 Backfat) that has very heavily muscling relative too carcass weight CAN final yield grade at less than one mathematically. Our Meat animal composition and Growth class (ADS 260) evaluated a purebred Charolais heifer that was double muscled. Because of the low BF and off the wall REA (I think it was something bizarre like 16.5 inches on a ~1250 live animal with .12" BF and 1.5% KPH fat). The YG calculated out to something like 0.8. I think we were told that you would still call that a Yield Grade One. There is no YG Zero and there is no YG SIX even though theoretically you could find an occasional animal that extreme. And of course in the heifer's example, most graders would DNQ her because of the double muscling.

[/quote]
you are too busy in the weeds --- these cattle like Limmis they are always low on YG 0 > 0.9 > 1 all equals a dock in price--
that is the point--- now that being said (yall need to learn to think outside the box---) how do we improve that carcass since there are some ppl that think these cattle have something to offer the industry -- which they do-- but not straight Limmi... gotta cross this breed or you lose---- lets use Angus lol[/quote]

That's funny. There are a lot of people that would argue that point.