Grade Red Angus Color

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I see some grade calves that have a deep dark red while others are a lighter shades of red - - some going to almost an orange tan look.

How much do purebreds vary in color?

Stocker Steve":27m0chif said:
I see some grade calves that have a deep dark red while others are a lighter shades of red - - some going to almost an orange tan look.

How much do purebreds vary in color?

A lot. Have one that is a very light red and one that is almost black looking she's so dark red.

Don't know about red angus, but the gelbvieh breed can have a red coat that appears blond, all the way to a very dark red. You don't see many blond looking red gelbvieh anymore, as most are a darker shade of red.

bandit80":286boah2 said:
Don't know about red angus, but the gelbvieh breed can have a red coat that appears blond, all the way to a very dark red. You don't see many blond looking red gelbvieh anymore, as most are a darker shade of red.

The orignal Gelbvieh carried a diluter gene, thus the name Gelbvieh (yellow cow)

dun":173igz6j said:
bandit80":173igz6j said:

The orignal Gelbvieh carried a diluter gene, thus the name Gelbvieh (yellow cow)

Learn something every day. Our first purebred Gelbvieh were the blond color. Ma thought they were "pretty". I think it was just because she is a blond. Almost all of mine are black now. Still like the red cattle, however.

Latest posts