Yearlings???

Help Support CattleToday:

baseballno13

Reaction score
I've been reading these boards for a while now and have learned alot. But I have a question....where would someone who is relatively new to the cattle business find some yearling feeder steers to invest in??? Thanks for the help.

baseballno13":42drkrzh said:
where would someone who is relatively new to the cattle business find some yearling feeder steers to invest in??? Thanks for the help.

How many head of yrlg. feeder steers would you be interested in investing in.
What are you thinking of for quality, condition and weight.

la4angus":2uhv0gfs said:
How many head of yrlg. feeder steers would you be interested in investing in.
What are you thinking of for quality, condition and weight.

I'm not really sure. One of my dad's friends said he was getting yearlings for around $200 a head, and I was wondering if that was the norm or just an exception. I think I'm not looking for a huge investment, as far as numbers, maybe 15-20 head. And I dont really know anything about the quality, condition and weight, sorry. I guess I'm just looking for some rather general advice as far as investing would go.

baseballno13:

I don't mean to be a smarta$s, but your member name really caused me to do a double take (deja vu all over again as Yogi would say) --- and then after reading your 2 posts I would humbly suggest that if you really believe that nonsense about $200 for yearling feeder steers my "general advise" to you would be to take your $$ and buy a C.D., and continue to learn more about the cattle business for a while before investing any $$ in calves.

might be a difference in terms here, but to me a yearling calf is a weaned calf...

the only thing around here you can get for $200 is a baby calf or a very poor, sickly, thin calf.

dont know about dairy calves and what they bring.

jt

Arnold Ziffle":23tztg55 said:
baseballno13:

I don't mean to be a smarta$s, but your member name really caused me to do a double take (deja vu all over again as Yogi would say) --- and then after reading your 2 posts I would humbly suggest that if you really believe that nonsense about $200 for yearling feeder steers my "general advise" to you would be to take your $$ and buy a C.D., and continue to learn more about the cattle business for a while before investing any $$ in calves.

I don't know what my member name has to do with it, but yes I do believe that nonsense, and my question was whether or not this "was the norm, or an exception." I take it from your response that it was an exception. I am just trying to get some answers so I can learn, and the only way to learn is to ask questions.

As far as I know the cattle were in decent shape. So how much would a truckload of feeder steers, maybe crossbread normally cost? Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about.

baseballno13":1rzwtrlj said:
Arnold Ziffle":1rzwtrlj said:
baseballno13:

I don't know what my member name has to do with it, but yes I do believe that nonsense, and my question was whether or not this "was the norm, or an exception." I take it from your response that it was an exception. I am just trying to get some answers so I can learn, and the only way to learn is to ask questions.

As far as I know the cattle were in decent shape. So how much would a truckload of feeder steers, maybe crossbread normally cost? Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about.

40 to 50 Thousand $ for a truckload of good ones. I can have the truck loaded by 6 A.M. if you like.

MikeC":1ts9jiho said:
baseballno13":1ts9jiho said:
Arnold Ziffle":1ts9jiho said:
baseballno13:

40 to 50 Thousand $ for a truckload of good ones. I can have the truck loaded by 6 A.M. if you like.

Mike you just caused a short between the keyboard and the floor.

ROTFLMAO> :lol:

MikeC":2clqxsqx said:
baseballno13":2clqxsqx said:
Arnold Ziffle":2clqxsqx said:
baseballno13:

Yea if you don't mind.

baseballno13":uhjxhrue said:
One of my dad's friends said he was getting yearlings for around $200 a head, and I was wondering if that was the norm or just an exception.
I don't think any of us know your dad's friend well enough to know the answer to that. Hopefully, it's just an exception and he's not like that all the time.

Try about four times that amount, plus some, for a true yearling.

Perhaps he is buying extremely light wts and plans to sell them as yearlings.

If you are going to buy a truck load of yearlings you better have a plan as to what you are going to do with them.

Latest posts