3rd trimester or yearlings

Help Support CattleToday:

Ga_Hillbilly

Reaction score
Hey how yall doing

I've been thinking.. Is it better to start with 2nd and 3rd trimester cows around $800-$900... Or to buy yearlings around 400.

Thanks in advance

If there good solid cows, go with the 2nd & 3rds. If there bred cows not bred hfrs they should know there job.
Were you looking at open hfrs at the sale barns? Most guys that retain hfrs for replacements pick the best ones out before they sell their calves.
Between feed costs and feeder prices I figure I have $1,900 invested in a hfr by the time her first calf hits the ground.
If you can buy a middle aged cow that will calve in a few months and get you a pay check four months later. That makes pretty good sense to me.

What SBMF said is all true. Unless you are looking at wanting to raise up purebreds, which you shouldn't be able to buy for 400 each, there is no sense in buying a heifer that you have to feed up, then get b red then deal with first calf heifer problems.
If the 2nd and 3rd trimester animals are 2nd calf at least, they should know what they are doing, the first calf dealings are done, they hopefully will be able to have a decent sized calf, and you can get a paycheck back in 5-8 months rather than in 18 months. No brainer really. If you have no experience calving out cows then you don't want to start with bred heifers.

farmerjan said:
What SBMF said is all true. Unless you are looking at wanting to raise up purebreds, which you shouldn't be able to buy for 400 each, there is no sense in buying a heifer that you have to feed up, then get b red then deal with first calf heifer problems.
If the 2nd and 3rd trimester animals are 2nd calf at least, they should know what they are doing, the first calf dealings are done, they hopefully will be able to have a decent sized calf, and you can get a paycheck back in 5-8 months rather than in 18 months. No brainer really. If you have no experience calving out cows then you don't want to start with bred heifers.

good advice
I support your opinion

Yearlings around 400? Do you mean 400 pounds or $400. 400 pounds is way too light for a yearling and $400 is too cheap for anything of quality. What is the plan? Buying 400 pound calves to sell as yearlings can work. The right calves for the right price and an inexpensive feed program. Buying $400 or 400 pound heifers with the plan to raise up and breed is going to be a losing situation.
Awfully late in the year for 2nd trimester cows. Unless you enjoy summer calves. Here an $800 -$900 cow 7 or 8 months bred will be broken mouth. Buying older (not old old) cows can work real well but only pay a couple cents over kill price.

Latest posts