Buying yearlings for Nov sell

Help Support CattleToday:

ylekyote

Reaction score
I want to ease into the cattle business because I have 23 acres of irrigated pasture in western Colorado, meat Glenwood Springs, CO. Is this a good idea? If so what kind of cows would work best ya think?

I want to buy something in April, feed it live grass and mountain spring water for 6 months from May through October, and then sell it for at least double my original investment. I want to start out at 3 to 4 animals and test or for a year or two.

Thx!

ylekyote":3nek1jdi said:
I want to ease into the cattle business because I have 23 acres of irrigated pasture in western Colorado, meat Glenwood Springs, CO. Is this a good idea? If so what kind of cows would work best ya think?

I want to buy something in April, feed it live grass and mountain spring water for 6 months from May through October, and then sell it for at least double my original investment. I want to start out at 3 to 4 animals and test or for a year or two.

Thx!

Good luck trying to double your investment on grass yearlings in this market. If your ahead $200/head, you will be doing well.

You may be better off just leasing/renting the pasture to someone to graze their stock.

Aaron":26jmsh8h said:
ylekyote":26jmsh8h said:

Thx!

Good luck trying to double your investment on grass yearlings in this market. If your ahead $200/head, you will be doing well.
Aaron, don't forget factor in that mountain spring water. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Let me preface this by say I know nothing of your grass or what summer gains are like in your area
Just irrigated mountain pasture should grow good grass

April 1 - sept 1
150 days at 2# of a gain per day = 300#
Buy at 500# in April
Sell at 800# sept 1 (Labor Day)

With the market it's a gamble whether you make any money or not
Today's market 500# calf will cost 900-1000
800# around 1100-1200
Come fall and prices drop as expected it won't be good
Sickness, poor gain, meds, death loss could be a wreck.
In a more stable market with good calves and good grass it'd work I think

poorfarmer":75on5p3g said:
Cattle is the wrong industry if you are looking for double your investment. More likely you will lose money than double it.

I don't know of any industry where you can double your money in a few months. Not legal ones, anyway.

don't you boys know that the rest of the world watches westerns and have the notion that all you cattle barons are millionaires...

I am working on my second million.....

gave up on the first million years ago....
:deadhorse: