Yearling

Help Support CattleToday:

wtexasfam":3fnflqg0 said:
Would a yearling be too old to be cut?

What is your purpose for cutting him? If you are just butchering him it would be safer at this point to leave him intact, cutting him now might kill him. I have eaten many good yearling bulls. They might not marble as well but you will get plenty of good lean meat (yearling should be tender still also).

wtexasfam":1h27w61p said:
Would a yearling be too old to be cut?

No, but the risk of him bleeding to death is increased. You might want to consider banding him with a callicrate(sp?) bander, but you would need to vaccinate with a tetanus antitoxin.

We cut yearling bulls by the hundreds, and cut many bulls from 1-2 yrs old, no proble at all. And I would cut them at that age. If you don't know how then get some help.

Seems to me it depends on how long you plan to feed him. If you want him on feed for 100 days, would be beneficial to cut. I have cut yearlings. I tie a string tight, up as high on the sack as possible. Cut him and leave the turniquit on for a few days. It works. I recommend you have someone with positive experience do the job. On the other hand, those young bulls fed properly are very good eating.