How Masculine Should a Yearling Bull Be

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":3upw3ldw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3upw3ldw said:
There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!
He would not be shiney & in good BCS.
LOL Some of you are soooo against showing, you make non-sense statements.

You got that right.
I was taught animals were food and tools. Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better? I think it's probably like a shiny apple, just wasting time before the grand prize.

True Grit Farms":ry11e6og said:
Bright Raven":ry11e6og said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":ry11e6og said:
There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!

You got that right.
Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better?

Does gun shows make guns shoot better?
Does knife shows make knives cut better?

Of course not. Jeanne is correct. The anti-show crowd don't always make sense.

Bright Raven":31v31m5h said:
True Grit Farms":31v31m5h said:
Bright Raven":31v31m5h said:
You got that right.

Of course a clean gun shoots better, and a sharp knife cuts better. And a TRIMMED cow doesn't taste better. You can't understand that? Some folks just like fluff, even if it taste like crap.

True Grit Farms":1mxwald2 said:
Bright Raven":1mxwald2 said:
True Grit Farms":1mxwald2 said:

Of course a clean gun shoots better, and a sharp knife cuts better. And a TRIMMED cow doesn't taste better. You can't understand that? Some folks just like fluff, even if it taste like crap.

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, provides entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

Many comments I see on the forum that are anti-show make no sense. I am simply agreeing with Jeanne.

Edited to add. I am not directing this comment at Allenw, I mean it as a general comment.

Bright Raven":3a6w5udd said:
True Grit Farms":3a6w5udd said:
Bright Raven":3a6w5udd said:

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, providers entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

Many comments I see on the forum that are anti-show make no sense. I am simply agreeing with Jeanne.
I agree with all that and I'm not against showing cattle.

True Grit Farms":17wgy2fn said:
Bright Raven":17wgy2fn said:
True Grit Farms":17wgy2fn said:

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, providers entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

I have to say, I enjoy it. More entertaining to me than watching football.

Bright Raven":2zsati8p said:
True Grit Farms":2zsati8p said:
Bright Raven":2zsati8p said:

I can't keep a secret, we have 2 heifers being shown in Madison by a couple of FFA kids. I was going to take some pictures when I see them again. I've paid for 2 tons of feed so far so they should be fat.

Holy crap. Grit, how many months worth of feed? I generally feed about 6#/hd/day on weaned calves. Post the pictures - looking forward to seeing them. I love to sponsor the kids. Not very many I will do it with, but there have been some over the years. Cattle generally stay here, and they have to come here & work with them minimum 4 times a week.

Bright Raven":2qzv7q1r said:
True Grit Farms":2qzv7q1r said:
Bright Raven":2qzv7q1r said:

Over 101,000,000 people tuned in to watch the Super Bowl a couple of weeks ago. Doubt you'd get that kind of attention for a cattle show.

TennesseeTuxedo":1aa3bgzj said:
Bright Raven":1aa3bgzj said:
True Grit Farms":1aa3bgzj said:

Over 101,000,000 people tuned in to watch the Super Bowl a couple of weeks ago. Doubt you'd get that kind of attention for a cattle show.

It's not a contest of attendance. It's quality not quantity.

TennesseeTuxedo":5ja9io7j said:
Bright Raven":5ja9io7j said:
True Grit Farms":5ja9io7j said:

TT, the fairgrounds was full of people showing cattle. There's a lot of interest in showing around here.

Bright Raven":3a9vw9c8 said:
True Grit Farms":3a9vw9c8 said:
Bright Raven":3a9vw9c8 said:

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, provides entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

Edited to add. I am not directing this comment at Allenw, I mean it as a general comment.
The youth would be better off learning economics and proper management of livestock rather than fluff and puff on high dollar no-fits for the farm or ranch. That is the problem - the show ring is not reality and does not help them to learn that.

Ebenezer":hrpyiw0s said:
Bright Raven":hrpyiw0s said:
True Grit Farms":hrpyiw0s said:

The youth would be better off learning economics and proper management of livestock rather than fluff and puff on high dollar no-fits for the farm or ranch. That is the problem - the show ring is not reality and does not help them to learn that.

Well said.

True Grit Farms":dfr7qmlv said:
Since the end of October Jeanne.
Hopefully you just purchased your 2nd ton??? that's a lot of feed for 2 heifers. Figuring 4 months that's over 15# each per day, but if you just purchased 1 ton, then it's more like 7#. I'm assuming they are old enough to be bred? I rarely feed over 6#/hd/day - calves & yearlings.
But, like I said, others do it a lot different that I do. I have easy keeping kind of cattle I guess. And, not to brag, but I am far from the bottom - generally win Supreme over all Breeds at the small shows & Grand Ch at NY State Fair.

Ebenezer":vqgzi318 said:
Bright Raven":vqgzi318 said:
True Grit Farms":vqgzi318 said:

Ebenezer - you are sooooo wrong. The youth do learn economics and proper management. They have to keep tract of all their expenses, they learn the more they put into training & working with their animal, the better they do in the show ring. All our juniors MUST compete in showmanship. Showmanship is a class where the kids are judged on their ability to show their animal, how well their animal behaves, cleanliness, and proper hair management. I would take a group of 4-H beef kids over any kids involved in sports. No, that is not a true statement. Kids showing their cattle have to learn "sportsmanship" just like the kids involved in sports. Sports are also good for kids.

Ebenezer":3c6xn7hh said:
Bright Raven":3c6xn7hh said:

There is a place for both. Economics, animal husbandry, and other agricultural disciplines are extremely important. That is vital to fostering an educated and capable force of future cattle producers.

That does not preclude a role for show cattle and the pageantry that goes with it. In fact, the show ring is as real as car racing, tractor pulling contests, or any other endeavor that displays a product in a "fluff and puff" fashion. At the end of the day, there is enough importance placed on it by a sufficient number of participants to keep it going.

Edited to add: What Jeanne said above. :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2wrjpo3w said:

I never intended for my comment about the bull calf in the picture to be combined with my other comments in the post, next time I'll make two posts.

Ebenezer":c41pnr77 said:
Bright Raven":c41pnr77 said:
True Grit Farms":c41pnr77 said:

I think that is the typical generalised statement that the anti show lobby likes to spruke "not reality" is like those key words "natural product" that gets thrown in with a lot of arguments with nothing backing it. Just about everyone on here will pass judgement of a photo of an animal and have their own ideas of what is right or wrong with it, I see the show ring as an attempt to represent what can be the most ideal phenotype of an animal, it is not to say that is correct but it represents what is the most ideal form and you need to have that end of the spectrum as a reference point for your goals, just where your cattle sit is entirely up to you but everyone will judge cattle at some time of the year whether buying a bull or some steers to background. I think showing is an important part of the equation.

Ken

wbvs58":bq5ggneu said:
Ebenezer":bq5ggneu said:
Bright Raven":bq5ggneu said:

I think that is the typical generalised statement that the anti show lobby likes to spruke "not reality" is like those key words "natural product" that gets thrown in with a lot of arguments with nothing backing it. Just about everyone on here will pass judgement of a photo of an animal and have their own ideas of what is right or wrong with it, I see the show ring as an attempt to represent what can be the most ideal phenotype of an animal, it is not to say that is correct but it represents what is the most ideal form and you need to have that end of the spectrum as a reference point for your goals, just where your cattle sit is entirely up to you but everyone will judge cattle at some time of the year whether buying a bull or some steers to background. I think showing is an important part of the equation.

Ken

Ken, I think the following excerpt from your response is at the heart of this discussion. Actually, it is brilliant!

I think that is the typical generalised statement that the anti show lobby likes to spruke "not reality" is like those key words "natural product" that gets thrown in with a lot of arguments with nothing backing it.

Latest posts