How Masculine Should a Yearling Bull Be

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts":uc6a26m3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":uc6a26m3 said:
greatgerts":uc6a26m3 said:

12 month old Gert bull.

I like him.

Thank you. I really like this young bull myself. He has not been pushed at all. I'm actually hoping to get him broke soon. The donkey may have her work cut out.

Nice bull. I too would like to see the video. Are you sure the bull will not break the donkey?

I am halter breaking 14 calves. I started at 6 weeks old. Thus far, all are leading but 2. I dismissed them from class. Lol

Bright Raven":256nfidf said:
greatgerts":256nfidf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":256nfidf said:
I like him.

Thank you. I really like this young bull myself. He has not been pushed at all. I'm actually hoping to get him broke soon. The donkey may have her work cut out.

Nice bull. I too would like to see the video. Are you sure the bull will not break the donkey?

I am halter breaking 14 calves. I started at 6 weeks old. Thus far, all are leading but 2. I dismissed them from class. Lol

LOL. I think the donkey will do ok. She has had some pretty rank ones she has dealt with. I would love to start mine as early as you do, but that just hasn't worked out that I can yet. My fall calves will get broke much younger though. Normally, the spring calves would have been started by now, but we had a bunch more that went to sales, and those took precedence over the ones left.
I can normally tell within a couple of weeks who will or won't break. Sometimes though, I am just too hard-headed about one and keep trying past that.

greatgerts":j67kp5ob said:
Bright Raven":j67kp5ob said:
greatgerts":j67kp5ob said:

LOL. I think the donkey will do ok. She has had some pretty rank ones she has dealt with. I would love to start mine as early as you do, but that just hasn't worked out that I can yet. My fall calves will get broke much younger though. Normally, the spring calves would have been started by now, but we had a bunch more that went to sales, and those took precedence over the ones left.
I can normally tell within a couple of weeks who will or won't break. Sometimes though, I am just too hard-headed about one and keep trying past that.

I have one that is very docile but when you go to lead her, she goes nuts. Then I have one bull that is just nasty. I decided 12 out of 14 is good enough.

I'd like to halter break one for all the farm days we do. The kids are always wanting to touch and pet the cow or calf we bring. I just can't convince myself it's something that you should do with a cow. I know I'd never halter train a bull, their definitely to unpredictable and to much liability involved for us.

True Grit Farms":24llwkyp said:
I'd like to halter break one for all the farm days we do. The kids are always wanting to touch and pet the cow or calf we bring. I just can't convince myself it's something that you should do with a cow. I know I'd never halter train a bull, their definitely to unpredictable and to much liability involved for us.

Vince, I sell a couple bulls a year at Farm Fest in Springfield MO. They have to be halter broke to market in those venues.

Bright Raven":3il6lrkf said:
True Grit Farms":3il6lrkf said:

Vince, I sell a couple bulls a year at Farm Fest in Springfield MO. They have to be halter broke to market in those venues.
We lose a farmer a year to his pet bull around here it seems. When you sell a bull do you have the customer sign a release of liability contract? I've never bought or sold a halter trained bull, but I would think if he was on a rope and got excited and hurt or killed someone the seller would be responsible myself.

True Grit Farms":3lzr9wx4 said:
Bright Raven":3lzr9wx4 said:
True Grit Farms":3lzr9wx4 said:

We lose a farmer a year to his pet bull around here it seems. When you sell a bull do you have the customer sign a release of liability contract? I've never bought or sold a halter trained bull, but I would think if he was on a rope and got excited and hurt or killed someone the seller would be responsible myself.

I would say you are correct. As you know, these venues display bulls for public viewing. I don't think anyone would sign a release.

Bright Raven":pommdjuo said:
True Grit Farms":pommdjuo said:
Bright Raven":pommdjuo said:

I would say you are correct. As you know, these venues display bulls for public viewing. I don't think anyone would sign a release.
Just a thought, we had a registered heifer get out at the fair grounds last year trying to load. She was calm till all the cowboy's started chasing her. She almost got on the interstate twice, finally a vet got a dart into her about 2 miles away in downtown Perry. No one got hurt including the heifer, but our steaks were cold at the GCA ball.

Halter broke bulls are no more dangerous than a non-halter broke one. You cannot trust ANY bull.
Actually, bulls are probably the easiest to halter break. All bulls over 6 months of age must have a nose ring to show. It is a real good attitude adjustment control.

Bright Raven":3chqirdv said:
greatgerts":3chqirdv said:
Bright Raven":3chqirdv said:

I have one that is very docile but when you go to lead her, she goes nuts. Then I have one bull that is just nasty. I decided 12 out of 14 is good enough.

Ron, that heifer is the kind that a donkey works great for! They learn in a heck of a hurry that the donkey makes the decisions, not them. We have only had one get hurt by the donk, and she deserved it! When the swelling in her face went back down, she was ready to show.

Here is a 7 mth old SAV Renown calf I will be selling in August as a yearling bull. At the moment he is still on his mother and only had grass, I think most of my bull calves are fairly masculine looking.

Ken

Good looking calf Ken.

The big problem with the catalog pictures is a lot of the bulls have been to the spa and beauty parlor before the shots were taken. A picture taken with out any prep looks more right with the hair laying as it does naturally.

Allenw":1cpxnw59 said:
Good looking calf Ken.

The big problem with the catalog pictures is a lot of the bulls have been to the spa and beauty parlor before the shots were taken. A picture taken with out any prep looks more right with the hair laying as it does naturally.

I wish I could consistently get good photos, usually average 1 in 10 that I nail. Last year I did not do myself any favours with the photos I took for the catalogue.

Ken

wbvs58":rd87bsff said:
Allenw":rd87bsff said:
Good looking calf Ken.

I wish I could consistently get good photos, usually average 1 in 10 that I nail. Last year I did not do myself any favours with the photos I took for the catalogue.

Ken
So, Allenw, you think someone should advertise their cattle without prep work? this bull is shaved bald or has totally shed out. What can be better than that?? It allows you to see everything. Besides, if you are putting cattle in a sale, you want to represent the best picture possible and a hairy, dirty animal is NOT the way to do it.
If I see an animal advertised that is NOT clipped and/or clean, then I feel the owner does a shabby job of management on their farm. Presentation is everything.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3gr0sjmi said:
wbvs58":3gr0sjmi said:
Allenw":3gr0sjmi said:
Good looking calf Ken.

Ken
So, Allenw, you think someone should advertise their cattle without prep work? this bull is shaved bald or has totally shed out. What can be better than that?? It allows you to see everything. Besides, if you are putting cattle in a sale, you want to represent the best picture possible and a hairy, dirty animal is NOT the way to do it.
If I see an animal advertised that is NOT clipped and/or clean, then I feel the owner does a shabby job of management on their farm. Presentation is everything.
Clipping and cleaning doesn't help the taste or tenderness of meat. It just seems wrong to have bulls all trimmed looking like poodles. Kinda reminds me of a dog and pony show, playing with your food should be a crime.

He is not selling meat. He is not trimmed like a poodle. He is BALD. Ken is selling a breeding bull, and as a buyer, "most" want to SEE what is being offered. Loaded up with piles of sh$t on their legs & bellie, or having winter coats with hair sticking out & going everywhere is NOT very appealing to MOST buyers.
You may be an exception - of course we know that you are!!! LOL
It is rare that a bull (yearling & on up) has enough hair to make them "look" different than what they really are. Yes, show steers are dressed up like poodles, rarely a bull grows any hair for "fitting".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1wajyg4i said:
wbvs58":1wajyg4i said:
Allenw":1wajyg4i said:
Good looking calf Ken.

Ken

An animals hair coat is an indicator of their condition and how they've been taken care of. I would rather look at an animal in working condition then fitted and trimmed.

There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!
He would not be shiney & in good BCS.
LOL Some of you are soooo against showing, you make non-sense statements.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ahj8bz85 said:
There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!

You got that right.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hpofjo32 said:
I don't know who that's directed at? But you can definitely tell a lot about an animal by look at it hair. I trim up every animal I sell and EVERY includes steers. Hairy ears, chin, brisket and belly can make a good animal look crappy.
Jeanne, your right on the showing cattle, I've never been to a cow show in 60 years. And as a matter of fact I've never been to an animal show besides the circus.

Latest posts