Yearling weight.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I just weighed one of my heifers at 1 year old. She weighed 724 lbs. Registered Angus, fed on hay, loose minerals and range cubes. Does that sound about right? Thanks, Bob

I don't know for Angus but we just weighed some Red Polls fed about the same and they were 916#, 870#, and 805#.

bobrammer":1s5q42bm said:
I just weighed one of my heifers at 1 year old. She weighed 724 lbs. Registered Angus, fed on hay, loose minerals and range cubes. Does that sound about right? Thanks, Bob

There are a lot of different genetics in the Angus breed, but that sounds light to me. According to the Sire Summary, the average 365-day adjusted weight for Angus heifers in '04 was 856 lbs. I'd be concerned about her being big enough to breed at 14-15 months.

Sounds a little light to me too. I'd expect that more at a 205 day weight give or take a bit in either direction. Did she come from a first calf heifer, some of them take a little longer to grow. What was her weight at 205?

I don't know her weight at weaning. The guy that sold her to me never sent that info into the AAA. Her dam is registration number 14367500. Dam was born 02 November 2002. I'm beginning to think my scale might be off. We kinda had to
put it up in a hurry to get her weighed and to get the weaning
weight on my two bull calves. The scale is on two 2 x 6's and I'm not sure if it is good and level. She's a nice solid looking heifer.

I had a chance to weigh a yearling Simmental heifer this month, she was 1086. I'm going to guess most of my heifers run between 900 and 1100 at yearlings. But I also feed my heifers.

Latest posts