Weight gain or loss after weaning?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Any one ever checked to see how calves did on the weight loss or gain after weaning? I have always wondered what they do after weaning and if they do lose weight how long it takes to recover it. I got a group now that was weaned a week or so ago that I may try to check and see how they have done.

First and last time we weighed, calves lost an average of 50 lbs in the first week. This, in a fairly small corral with free-choice hay in front of them 24/7 and at least 5#/hd/day DDG.
Don't recall how long it took to get back to initial weight.

Just more ammo making me disinclined to do the whole weaning/respiratory vaccination deal, unless I'm getting a premium for those calves...yeah, I know it's best for the calf and the next person down the line, but I'm pretty sure it was always a money-loser for me, here.

I fence line wean my calves. Calves are put in a field that they have been in numerous times with dam throughout the summer. Yes, they bawl for maybe 3 days, but not a lot (Mom & right next to them). I do not see any weight loss. No, I don't weigh them because I don't want to stress them. I have a fairly good eye. They stay good and full. They have pasture, great 2nd cut dry hay, and a water supply they are used to drinking out of. I give all their vaccines in June and again in July - so I do not have to run them thru the chute until they are very content at being weaned. If your calves are that stressed that they lose 50#, they should gain it back quickly. It would just be tissue shrink.

The superior rep was here this afternoon videoing. I weaned 2 weeks ago, and have some I bought to roll in with mine. I'd conservatively say mine have lost 35 pounds. I "think" keeping them 90 days, and gaining hopefully 2 pounds a day will make up for it. It may not. I've often felt the same way Lucky feels......but, I do it this way every year. Doesn't make it the right way.

I weaned earlier this year and sold at 45 days - also earlier than "normal" for me. The bulk of my steers averaged 735 and heifers were 606. All calves already on cubes, so "bunk broke", plus brome, 30% protein tubs & mineral with CTC. They were definitely smaller than previous years.

I weaned earlier this year and sold at 45 days - also earlier than "normal" for me. The bulk of my steers averaged 735 and heifers were 606. All calves already on cubes, so "bunk broke", plus brome, 30% protein tubs & mineral with CTC. They were definitely smaller than previous years.
Those are really good weaning weights, congratulations. What would be their average days of age?

I've always weaned straight on to the truck. Cows bawl for 2-3 days and then it's over. Seems like it would take at least 30 and probably closer to 45 days weaned to get back to square one so therefore I don't do it. I don't vaccinate my sale calves either. I vaccinate what I keep either the day of weaning or the day after for the first round. The day may come where the market demands long weaned vaccinated calves, but they aren't paying for it yet so I'm not supplying.

Last edited:
I'm trying the fence line weaning myself, sorted them Friday evening, they bawled quite a bit yesterday but hardly any today. They were eating hay good as soon as sorted, started them on grain yesterday evening at about 2lbs each and they cleaned it up. Gut fill looks good on them so far so I'm hoping little to no weight loss. I put the cows and calves in area where I'd wean a few weeks ago and put hay where the cows would be and where the calves would be so they'd be adjusted to being in there. I'll probably move the cows away from them to the pasture I want to feed hay in next weekend.

Those are really good weaning weights, congratulations. What would be their average days of age?

I've always weaned straight on to the truck. Cows bawl for 2-3 days and then it's over. Seems like it would take at least 30 and probably closer to 45 days weaned to get back to square one so therefore I don't do it. I don't vaccinate my sale calves either. I vaccinate what I keep either the day of weaning or the day after for the first round. The day may come where the market demands long weaned vaccinated calves, but they aren't paying for it yet so I'm not supplying.
Thanks. Weaned average 6 months, a couple were 5 months. So, sold at 6.5 -7.5 months.

Recent years getting spanked with pneumonia (in spite of 3 rounds of respiratory) has me questioning total backgrounding. But I do get a premium for my calves; same buyer (buyer for Creekstone). Dollar wise, it may even out (maaaaay). But look at all the fun and hard work I go through prior to the sale.;)

Little Joe is doing what I prefer. Fenceline wean where the calves have free choice hay and some starter type feed. Get them up up about 1% in the first week and move them on to pasture if you have some. Continue with the feed three or four days a week depending on your forage. They will gain back what they lose in about two to 2 1/2 weeks then start gaining about 1.25 lb/day.

At 45 days they will be gaining 1.5 lbs/day. From 45 days onward they really will stack on the weight if you want. My wean calves put on about 60 lbs in 45 days doing this. Some way better, some hardly gain anything. My cost is about .75 lb per added pound not including labor. I am not trying to put on a bunch of weight, I am just getting them straightened out so they won't lose much weight getting sold. I also try not to get them to full. Thats a real money waster.

Scales are very educational. Unweaned calves going directly to the sale will lose 10% of their weight very easily but you have to look at your facilities, your time, and your market to determine if it is worth it.

I'll say I was SHOCKED. I couldn't look at those calves and tell you they'd lost a pound, but the scales don't lie.
I've seen calves walk and bawl constantly for days, and would believe that sort of weight loss, but these calves did minimal walking/bawling.

It wasn't an exact test but these calves were taken off the cow on 11/27 and decided to sell them today. Weighed on my scales at home at weaning, didn't weigh them again here. In the past I have weighed calves at home and then straight to the sale barn and they are always close. These gained a average of 25# in that time frame. The larger calves did the best while one was just barely above it's original weight. These had some of my best hay and were fed well, 1.5-2% of their weight.

Any time calves come in the night before the sale I try to buy those in my weight size as the weight loss is pretty much. That's not just guessing, I have weighed a lot of them the evening before and seen the loss.
I can get them filled back up pretty easily and I haven't lost the initial weight. It was lost before I got them.
Also I will pay 4-5 cents more for weaned and castrated calves.

This year we had 49 feeders between ours and our neighbor that we pooled together. We set up our platform scales before our chute so we could weigh them individually each time we ran thru the chute. They got their second round of boosted vaccine the day they were separated to wean. They go together in a large corral on the neighbors farm with free choice second cutting hay, baleage and dry hay. They also get 2lbs/hd/day of 14% protein grain mix.

We weighed them individually the morning before they get loaded on a truck to go to our buyer, 28 days from wean to trucking. They averaged 31 lbs of gain with average age of 190 days. Some gained a few pounds, some gained up to 60 lbs. Only two lost weight, 1lb and 10 lbs. The neighbors cows are near the corral, not quite fenceline but within eyesight. There was no difference in weight gain between the home calves and the ones brought in from our farm away from their mammas.

Some gained a few pounds, some gained up to 60 lbs. Only two lost weight, 1lb and 10 lbs.
Not saying this is an issue in the above posters case, just reminded me of my experience. I have noticed over the years that there will sometimes be an animal that just seems to be a poor doer. Does not look sick, looks healthy. Just not performing well. Could be genetics, maybe the wrong color :). just not as good compared to the others. I have sometimes then checked their temperature and find that it is 102 to 103. After treating them (sometimes twice), they turn around and start performing. Again, no drooped ears or head, no nose or eye discharge. Look happy. Sometimes their manure may be just a little loose. Generally, no reason that you would check their temperature. Thoughts and comments?

Latest posts