Yearling bull price

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll find out soon I've got a 16 month old virgin beefmaster bull I'm fixing to ship to either the sale or slaughter house sucker had me looking like a bullfighter in the PBR yesterday evening honestly didn't think I was gonna get away from him probably wouldn't have if my heeler wouldn't of got between us

Whatever he is worth now he is going to be worth less before long unless things change.

jltrent said:
Whatever he is worth now he is going to be worth less before long unless things change.

I agree with jl. Things are not looking very good for this fall. We are looking to ship some steers in the next 2 weeks, and have a guy looking at about 10 heifers. Late Nov, Dec born calves. Not going to hold anything as replacements except maybe 2 or 3 out of very best cows. We have pasture, rains have been good this year, but it isn't looking like a paying situation to hold anything over for very long. Hayfields have alot of weeds this year, so quality isn't great and 2nd cutting is looking like it is still going to have weeds even with spraying. So not alot of sq bales to sell. Best prices I have seen here are 1.60 for 5 & 6 weights of really nice calves in groups of 10 to 35. Most are in the 1.40's for pretty decent steer calves. Not going to barely pay for the cost of keeping the cows. Heifers are in the 1.10 to 1.25 range.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Silver said:
I don't have a problem with a cow that has a uterine prolapse as long as she breeds back in time. Has zero to do with genetics.
You are correct! I missed the "uterine" part in the previous post. Vaginal prolapse IS a heritable trait, however. The fact is, I won't keep or use anything that has had either issue. There are just too many really good doing ones out there for me to bother with something that has what I consider an increased risk.... :2cents:

It was her 16th calf...
You probably would have kept any of the previous 15, and you probably wouldn't cull those now just because she prolapsed on the 16th.. and yes, uterine prolapse is NOT hereditary

I had a cow that was prone to vaginal prolapse have a uterine prolapse this spring.. only her 2nd calf, I think that trait came from the bull, not one of her maternal relatives have ever had any problem whatsoever.. anyhow, she'll be on a truck this fall

Nesikep said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Silver said:
I don't have a problem with a cow that has a uterine prolapse as long as she breeds back in time. Has zero to do with genetics.
You are correct! I missed the "uterine" part in the previous post. Vaginal prolapse IS a heritable trait, however. The fact is, I won't keep or use anything that has had either issue. There are just too many really good doing ones out there for me to bother with something that has what I consider an increased risk.... :2cents:

It was her 16th calf...
You probably would have kept any of the previous 15, and you probably wouldn't cull those now just because she prolapsed on the 16th.. and yes, uterine prolapse is NOT hereditary

I had a cow that was prone to vaginal prolapse have a uterine prolapse this spring.. only her 2nd calf, I think that trait came from the bull, not one of her maternal relatives have ever had any problem whatsoever.. anyhow, she'll be on a truck this fall

No, I wouldn't keep her after a prolapse on calve 16, no matter if it is uterine or vaginal. And at that point, all of her offspring would come under scrutiny. If a person has only 10 cows, it may prolong the culling process, but in a larger herd, I would move her and her genetics rather rapidly. AGAIN, there are tons of really easy doing cattle out there, I'm not wasting any time with something I consider an increased risk!

I wouldn't keep her either after that, but unless I've seen a pattern in the family (unlikely in the uterine case), there's be no reason to put her previous calves under scrutiny.

In my case, out of 30ish animals kept from that particular maternal line, only that one has ever had an issue, and it's a different bull (and he has given problems before, though on maternal lines where they did have vaginal prolapse issues, so I figured it was from the maternal side).. That bull doesn't have many daughters left, the ones that looked good didn't produce or had other issues, the ones that do produce look like a can of smashed arseholes by the end of the season.

If a dam has any significant issues, I do put all her offspring under scrutiny. We have gone through hundreds of head of commercial and purebred stock in the past 15 years (bought pot loads of western bred and raised commercial cows a few different times). I expect a cow to raise a calf without issues, and I consider prolapse an issue. It is part of my selection/ culling criteria. I have maternal lines that are several generation deep with no prolapse issue, why would I risk using a line that has that?

Boot Jack Bulls said:
If a dam has any significant issues, I do put all her offspring under scrutiny. We have gone through hundreds of head of commercial and purebred stock in the past 15 years (bought pot loads of western bred and raised commercial cows a few different times). I expect a cow to raise a calf without issues, and I consider prolapse an issue. It is part of my selection/ culling criteria. I have maternal lines that are several generation deep with no prolapse issue, why would I risk using a line that has that?
I have 6 generations from this maternal line with no issues.. That one is on the truck, end of story.. The line is proven on that trait, and unless i have good reason to suspect otherwise, if something comes up again I'll look at the bull's line more closely
I certainly consider prolapse an issue as well, and it's DANG hard to "breed out"

If an old cow didn't have a prolapse till she was in her mid teens I sure wouldn't cull her daughters or that cow line. I worked for a vet in my youth. There are many factors that enter into what causes one. Type is also a consideration.

Again, I simply stated my view on the matter. I can assure you a few comments from random people on a public forum will not change my perspective in this regards, much as I would not expect my opinion to have any major impact on another's. I may be young and not a vet, but I will stick by my own experiences with cattle in regards to this matter.

Again she was 17 and had been a great cow for a very long time. I don't know many cows that can raise a good calf every year for that long. She never got up after the birth and was put down. I like the longevity she brings to this calf. If she were a young cow and prolapsed that would be a different story. She brings good fertility as she did breed back every year. My biggest reason for turning loose if this bull is that he is black. I'm going to all red cattle. I'm not looking to breed for the salebarn.

Latest posts