Yearling bull price

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
I've decided to sell my bull. What do you think would be a fair asking price? He is a yearling (17 months). 70 pound birthweight. Sire was a registered ultrablack, dam was 17 year old red Angus. Bull was raised on a Jersey and nursed 7 months. He is halter broke and really docile but not a pet. He has huge testicles and is very fertile. He has bred my herd (14). I've taken some to the vet and checked. They were pregnant. We decided to go red Angus so that's why I'm selling him. Nothing wrong with him. He is just on grass and a round bale. Not been pushed. I cant get a picture to load. Just looking for a ballpark price.

A 17 month old crossed breed, no idea if he weighs 700 or 1700, no idea of his color or how he is made. He has bred cows but no BSE. Even if he is made very good in many places he is worth slaughter price.

Have to agree with Kenny. Not near enough information and where you are is important in the scheme of things. Have seen purebred bull prices down a bit so a crossbred is only going to be worth slaughter price in many areas.

He is in Oklahoma. He is black. Double polled. 1000 pounds not on grain, pasture not much but round bale of grass hay. No bse but will do if interested buyer. I've taken some cows to preg check at the vet and they are pregnant.

darcelina4 said:
He is in Oklahoma. He is black. Double polled. 1000 pounds not on grain, pasture not much but round bale of grass hay. No bse but will do if interested buyer. I've taken some cows to preg check at the vet and they are pregnant.

Bulls are selling $0.65-0.90 a pound here

$75 for bse... he has confirmed pregnancies, 94% certainty he'll pass a bse just fine.
17 month old crossbred, but only 1,000 lbs.
My guess/hope is you're eye balling his weight a few hundred pounds light.

I don't know Oklahoma market for a late season or fall calving clean up bull.
I'm thinking a low demand tough sale with a lot of 1 and done 18+ month bulls going to slaughter.
IF you want to move him...
Weigh him so you know exactly what you've got and grab the 1st offer = to $1 lb or better.

Son of Butch said:
$75 for bse... he has confirmed pregnancies, 94% certainty he'll pass a bse just fine.
17 month old crossbred, but only 1,000 lbs.
My guess/hope is you're eye balling his weight a few hundred pounds light.

I don't know Oklahoma market for a late season or fall calving clean up bull.
I'm thinking a low demand tough sale with a lot of 1 and done 18+ month bulls going to slaughter.
IF you want to move him...
Weigh him so you know exactly what you've got and grab the 1st offer = to $1 lb or better.

Good advice here.

I dont need rid of him bad enough to take slaughter price. He is good to be around and I like him. I'm hoping the calves I get are not all black. I like red cattle better. Thank you all for your comments. I agree with some and not with others but I asked for opinions because I wanted opinions not because I only wanted to hear my own view.

I understand the color genetics but I want 100% red and no black so that is why I'm going red Angus. I also have 4 registered heifers so I'd like to breed to registered from here on out. We have been building a herd and deciding what we wanted through trial and error. We have many breeds but have decided the direction we want to go. This bull isn't bad in any way, just not the direction we want to go.

darcelina4 said:
I understand the color genetics but I want 100% red and no black so that is why I'm going red Angus. I also have 4 registered heifers so I'd like to breed to registered from here on out. We have been building a herd and deciding what we wanted through trial and error. We have many breeds but have decided the direction we want to go. This bull isn't bad in any way, just not the direction we want to go.

You must understand color genetics different than I do. Black is dominant for what is worth.

In Missouri, he would need a trich since he is not a virgin bull. That is another $50.
Selling bulls is a tough market right now. Inbetween breeding seasons, and unless someone has an injured bull they need a quick replacement, bulls are just not moving.
Why was he not raised by his dam? That would be a concern of my bull buyers, and most want to see the dam's of the bulls they are thinking of purchasing.

His dam was 17. She pushed her uterus out after she had him. She was an awesome cow for many years for the farmer. I raised him on a Jersey cow in the pasture along with her heifer. .....True Grit- sire was black, dam was a red Angus so this bull is heterozygous black so bred to my homozygous red heifers, 50% will be heterogeneous black so will be black. 50% will be homozygous red so they will be red. I have a couple of simangus heifers that are black with motley face and white underlines. Their dams were black with blaze faces. I assume they will have black calves with motley faces. The red and white short horn could have either a red or black calf with some white. I have a red roan shorthorn plus that I'm hoping for a blue roan calf. Another shorthorn plus that is red and white with black stripes could have an interesting colored calf but more likely it will come out mostly black. I have a blond Jersey registered that I ai'd last may. I thought she took as her crazy behavior stopped. In January realized she was open. Put this bull out there and on may 8th vet said she was 80 days bred. A spotted Jersey will calve first. That isn't too long to wait and see. He is a fertile boy who likes to work so he has some positives going for him. I'm not in a hurry to move him. The end of October his first calves will be born. He impregnated 3 cows at 10 months. One was the cow that raised him.

Just a personal preference, but I will not keep stock or buy lines that are known to prolaplse. We culled all lines that had uterine prolapse years ago, and haven't had an issue since. I know there are other factors, but genetics is one I can control, so I do... :2cents:

I dont have a problem with a cow that prolapsed on her 16th calf. I dont think too many cows are producing at her age. I'm pretty happy with the longevity and fertility this girl had to offer. Now if the cow was a 4 year old and prolapsed on her third pregnancy, it would be a different story.

I don't have a problem with a cow that has a uterine prolapse as long as she breeds back in time. Has zero to do with genetics.

Silver said:
I don't have a problem with a cow that has a uterine prolapse as long as she breeds back in time. Has zero to do with genetics.
You are correct! I missed the "uterine" part in the previous post. Vaginal prolapse IS a heritable trait, however. The fact is, I won't keep or use anything that has had either issue. There are just too many really good doing ones out there for me to bother with something that has what I consider an increased risk.... :2cents:

Latest posts