year for twins

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a set of heifer twins also and things went really well. It is funny to watch them try to steal milk from every cow in the herd. It seems they succeeded most of the time and grew really well.

We had two sets of healthy twins in first time heifers. A set of twin heifers and then had a bull twin to a heifer.

polledbull":2b40cx1a said:
we have had 7 sets of twins so far this year , what is the deal , im am sick of twins,

It's hereditary...
Dairy guys do much better with twins - - but most beef guys can not keep their cows tied up in a stall. :nod:
I had a cow with live twins last year (she would only let one nurse), and dead twins this year, so she goes on the trailer.

We had about a set of twins a year for the last couple years except this year (22 cows in the herd).. about 8 years ago we had 3 sets, 1 set dead, the other set the mother died, and the 3rd, the mother only wanted one. The set last year only one was born alive (a pair of 110 lb bulls), the year before the mother only wanted one of them, and the year before that it was a heifer/bull set and the mother took and raised both to about 600 lbs.

We had one cow have dead twins 3 times in row, but each time she saved her skin by adopting a needy calf... Wasn't going to have her stick around for a 4th try, and we didn't need her the next year either!

I pray that I never end up in a hospital with NC Liz as my doctor!

Too funny Nesi. The dynamic of NC Liz and this forum for me as a newbie is intriguing.

A Set of Twin Bulls here from our oldest dam, a red one and a black one and both were nearly the same size. It was her first set, she's doing well with them but I'm helping a lot.

Only had one set so far, twin heifers, bottled raised one. No more twins, I hope.

1982vett":vlnl2q0b said:
with day old calves bringing $300 I wish all of mine had twins.

Good point vette, pair of heifers I may keep both, depending on the breeding. Twin bulls one goes to the sale as a day old. A heifer and bull twin, which one to the sale, probably the (most likely) free martian.

The set I had this year was on a cow that has only 3 good quarters. I had good grass at the time so I left them on her for a couple weeks before pulling one off and selling it. Got $275 for it. In the past I've always kept an eye on them so if I thought the cow wasn't able to meet both calves need I'd pull one early. Only once have I had one that looked stunted at birth.

I had one cow that had 3 sets over 5 years and raised them all.

1982vett":st1o16n2 said:
with day old calves bringing $300 I wish all of mine had twins.

Kinda what we were thinking too. 2 for 1 special come sale time. So far, both are ok with minimal intervention and mom has plenty of milk. They survived their first rain storm and will get to test out the pasture in a couple of days.

One set here that are alive and well. Neighbor down the road has had three sets, two alive and well. one aborted a month early not fully developed.

i spoke to soon guys , another set of twins today, as of now the last three to calve have all had twins , this is getting old , and of course , they all have only wanted one calf ,

Latest posts