WW vs Travalong vs Etc

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hey All,

Well, I'm narrowing down my stock trailer purchase and I'm back to ask just a few more questions. I'm going to pull the trigger this Thursday and have identified 3-4 dealers. I've compared the Featherlite and Barrett - Both good aluminum trailers. However, I now see that I can get a WW Briteline Stockman or Travalong for a couple thousand cheaper than the above. Any good/bad comments on the WW or Travalong?

If I go steel it will either be the Titan or now the Travalong with galvanized sides. The Titan and Travalong steel trailers are about the same price. Any reasons to go one or the other?

This is for a 24 footer.

Thanks!!

Tom

Hi Tom

Lil Bro bought a 24' advantage travalong about a year ago with the galvenized sides like you are talking. He likes it. Has no complaints that I know of.

I just purchased a new 24' titan with rumber this summer. Same with me, I like it, no complaints but I have only hauled a few loads so far as well.

I'm not one that thinks highly of aluminum and have always been more of a steel trailer guy. I was swayed towards the Titan because of a couple reasons mainly. I wanted the full nose enclosure for hauling supplies to the 4H fair for the kids and I also wanted that steel roof. The Travalong has that Transluscent material up top. Now, it will make it cooler in there in the summer. I am leary of it's lifespan though if a guy wants to keep these trailers in use for more than 10 years and they never see a shed. Especially after the suns rays have cooked it for a good 5 or 6 years and then we get a hailstorm from hell to come down on us. This is purely from a guessing standpoint. I have no facts to base this on other than gut feeling. I do believe the Titan has a better warranty than Travalong too. They are both made in the same town in Kansas. Don't quote me but I want to say waterville. Should be on thier website.

Good Luck.

If I can get it to work the pic of mine from this summer.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=19576

Rich,

Thanks for the reply and first hand experience with Travalong and Titan. After being on the phone most of today with trailer dealers, I think it will be either a Travalong or Titan. However, after looking at the 7'6""x24 Aluminum Travalong and getting a good price of $14K, I'm having trouble NOT going with aluminum. That's an extra 24 sq/ft. :)

Heck, I found the 6'8"x24 Aluminum Travalong for just $11K out there at a dealer near the plant in KS. The 24' Advantage for $8,100 and the 24' Titan for $8,250. Man, this is a tough choice!

Oh, and on the "Travaluscent Roof". Apparently it is made with Kevlar and UPS has been using it in their trucks for the last 12 years or so. It's supposed to last and last, but if I do get one with it, I'll keep it in the shed when possible.

Any other thoughts?

Yea, I do have one last thought and this has just irked the living hell out of me ever since the steel trlr mfgs started doing this to eliminate inside fender skirting.

That last 4" makes all the difference in the world and especially with bigger cows. I don't know what breeds you run but we have been using the simme angus hereford cross for several years now with being dominant black mainly now.

That last 4" the cattle can stand crossways. Now with that new 6'8" width they stand at an angle crossways. I do not like it. They load harder now too. That last one cow or last two calves used to go in so easy and now we are hunting and pushing for the room because bossy's aren't fitting in there perpendicular like they used to.

Me, I can't pencil the extra for an aluminum no more hauling than I do and I also was against it because I cannot weld aluminum nor am I set up to weld it (proper equipment). That is my biggest holdback. I do all my own repair work as I can. Also, alot of guys that run the aluminum in my neck of the woods told us to leave them alone because the country road we bounce crack them and beat them up severe. Worse than a steel trailer.

If Money is not an option and you are going to be mainly blacktop, I would for certain not exclude an aluminum of any kind as long as it was at least 7' wide.

Trailer Mfg's just don't realize what a mess they have made for us by making the manufacturing of that trailer easier for them eliminating the inside fenders.

That is my only gripe and beech about the two steel ones we have currently.

We have owned Hillsboro and Circle D in the past. Hillsboro I have no complaints. Circle D on the other hand, mickey mouse latches and cheap hinges that always need rewelded.

BTW......Are you getting a spare wheel and tire at the price your listing? Comparing to what I could of bought a wood floor one for this summer vs. my rumber floor I have now, For what you are paying, you should be getting a spare. No matter what company you go through.

I don't think you will be regretful of whatever choice you make. We got to the dealer and I let my 8 year old daughter pick it out.........That tells you how worried I was.... LOL.

Agree with the 6'8 vs 7' issues. I've heard that from several people about loading cows. I also hate how the measurements are different based on the manufacturer. Travalong has a7'6 trailer but the inside width is basically the same as the inside width of the Barrett and Merrit 7' trailers. Geez.

Seems prices continue to go up on anything with steel or aluminum in it. The $8,100 for the advantage is much cheaper in KS than on the MO side. Cheapest I found over here is $8,500. On the Titan, I've had prices up to $8,900 and $8,250 is as low as I can find it.

No 4H trips for me so I don't need the nose cone and that takes me back to the Advantage. I'm leaning toward the advantage right now. Heck, I can always trade in a couple of years for that aluminum one. :)

Latest posts