Wrye face/neck calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TNfamilyfarm

Reaction score
Hey all
I recieved a calve approx 8months old? She stands about four and a half foot tall, aliitle thin, and has wrye face/neck. She appears inquistative! I have not heard her moo. I don't know her history so I gave her a deworming shot and a shot of nuflor(yellow snotty nose). No respiratory trouble, no labored breathing,good stool,and peeeing fine.
Now heres the deal. I cannot get her to eat grain! Her intake so far has been limited to minimal hay(her choice) and lots of water. I have had hay,grain,and water down since her arrival. She just doesnt consume much. I will post some pics in a day or so, but her size and overall appearance leads me to believe she has been eatting enough to grow. She acts like she doesnt know what grain is!

Any ideas would be great. I just want her to eat........................

I have seen a few that don't like grain but this is not common.

Putting 5 to 7% mollasses in the grain mix helps.

Pour a little grain over her hay if you think she needs it.

You "received" her? She was given to you?

"Yellow snotty nose" sets off alarm bells. Maybe your temperature is moderate enough there that she is not being heat stressed. Does she buck and run w/o coughing? Most often you cannot hear pneunomia. Yellow snot is an infection. I am glad you gave her nuflor and she is drinking lots of water. I would for sure recommend a follow up shot of that. Have you taken her temp?

What kind of grain are you trying to entice her to eat? Maybe she would be more inclined to start on a starter or grower, they are a sweeter feed than others and calves tend to prefer them. You can blend in your feed once you get her started. I will also mix in a little more molasses to entice calves that are slow to start on grain.

What is "wrye" face/neck?

I've heard of wry neck, I think it's a twisted neck.
From Mercks on rye face: Wry face is characterized by a slight (<5°) to severe (>60°) lateral deviation of the maxilla. The mandible may or may not have a similar deviation. The occlusion of the nares and lack of apposition of the incisors and dental pad usually necessitate euthanasia of the cria. The relationship of this defect, if any, to choanal atresia is unclear.
Sounds like it's a twisted face.
From the dictionary: abnormally bent or turned to one side; twisted; crooked: a wry mouth.

It is a twisted face, we have had one before, and I have seen several others. As long as they are able to figure out how to suck as babies, there is really no reason to put them down. They may not grow as well as their contemperaries, but they will grow well enough to finish out and butcher. Wouldn't suggest keeping one to breed though. It is a physical problem, it is not something that could be considered contagious or dangerous to another animal.....

Thanks for the replies. I have had her over a week now and no changes in feeding! She drinks plenty eats minimal hay. I gave her a second round of nuflor for the snotty nose. This calf must weigh around 325lbs, she does not appear ill other than the sotty nose(no coughing,droopy ears, etc). I figured if she is this big than she should be able to continue to grow. The articles I have seen on wryeneck describe it as a congenital defect from the mother ingesting toxins during pregnancy! I'm still working on the pics, so i'll describe her defect. Take your head and lightly try to touch your ear to your shoulder. I do not note any mouth deformity, appears to chew her cud. I have not heard her moo. I have put some grain in her hay, she shows not interest in apples or even calf milk replacer.
For now I turned her out with the others hoping for some like feeding to catch on. I will post some pics ASAP

Latest posts