WOW...

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks guys apparently it's heading our way...I think I have about had it with winter this year too. :roll: Hillsdown I will look into that drambuie thingy, haven't tried THAT yet!

hillsdown":1u52zjpr said:
OT CC works well as does drambuie. :cowboy:

Yep-- that Canadian antifreeze works quite well...Since I'm home for the night, I've been working on a bottle of Canadian R & R to take the chill off my office.... ;-) :lol: :drink: :drink: :cowboy: :drink: :drink: :dunce: :drink: :drink: :banana:

MistyMorning":2h5rxyzn said:
Thanks guys apparently it's heading our way...I think I have about had it with winter this year too. :roll: Hillsdown I will look into that drambuie thingy, haven't tried THAT yet!

Misty you will love it one sip and it warms the cockles of your soul.
Drambuie on the rocks after getting in from this horrid weather is just what the doctor ordered.Not too much though or you may think you're cows all had twins. :help: :drink:

Well, it is -29 C here, and still windy. I think they said -50 with the windchill. New calf in the barn, it was red, but now is black and white, black neck (hockey sock) to keep its ears from freezing and white from the shoulders back, a blanket to keep the rest of it warmer. Glad we don't calve the main herd now 8) . One is enough to deal with......

Kerosine, do not rub, just douse a rag and soak the ear taking out the frost. Takes a bit of time but can save some if not all the ear.
CORRECTION
Husband just said depends on the frost of the ear. Some times he rubs and works it in and sometimes just soaks the cloth and soaks the frozen part in to get rid of the frost.
It has worked. gotta catch it early when the ear first freezes within the first few hours...husband is caught on the weather blizzard weather forcast so any more advice will have to wait...sorry.
He's back...he says within the first hour. If the whole ear is frozen might be able to save some of it. The sooner it is caught the easier to unthaw.
Kerosine takes the frost out of the ear. We will then put the little suggies under the heat lamp or just in the barn with the momma depending on how cold it is outside.
Husband set up the barn to house 6 pens nicley 8 if necessary each with a heat lamp in case of emergency
After the kerosine if you leave them outside they re freeze.

The only nice thing about it being this cold is that I can walk though the whole feedlot and not get an ounce of sh!t on my boots,because is just about frozen before it hits the ground LOL.

Brad D":3b38y5kx said:
The only nice thing about it being this cold is that I can walk though the whole feedlot and not get an ounce of be nice on my boots,because is just about frozen before it hits the ground LOL.

Too true. :lol:

It's -27 right now with a might more bearable windchill of -32. Although they (Environment Canada) still have a continued windchill warning. Glad our feeder calves have been sold, because I really wouldn't want to be out feeding and putting straw out to them poor beggars in this nasty arctic cold snap. And hats off to you Randi and HD to deal with calving and getting the calves safe and warm as much as possible in this weather.

Oh, and cement is never a good insulator. Neither are large windows. :roll: It's colder than cold INSIDE my apartment. Time to dig out the down sleeping bag and two layers of sweaters on me to keep warm while I sit doing studying and homework. As long as I got enough to eat, I shouldn't freeze my butt off in there. :lol:

Hey randi, did you hear about those two little kids that froze to death out on that reservation just north of Saskatoon? Pretty sad to hear that last night. :(

We have warmed up here too...warn enough to snow. Almost two feet on the ground and expecting more tonight and for the next week....running out of places to put the stuff. Son is out pulling snow off the loafing sheds as the 2x6s were starting to bow.
Been reports of barns loosing roofs over in Idaho.
DMc

We had -15 this morning with snowing- blowing- drifting- 40 below wind chill--- then turned sunny with temp getting up to -5...Needed dark glasses if you were out long with the bright sun shining on the cold wind slickened snow...
But they are predicting the warm is coming- and it could be up to near 20 ABOVE tomorrow....

Its got a ways to go as its -15 right now :roll:

That minus 40 lark is far to cold, bad enough being 0 or -4 as it is here...watched a programme this afternoon about truckers on the ice roads in Canada boy that looks dangerous and mighty cold. less than 10 mins without gloves and frostbite sets in. not for me you can keep that cold. Keep well and warm everyone, stay safe.

He he he...it's gonna be WARM tomorrow!! Forecast of -5 C!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Latest posts