WOW... What a change!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Looked at local sale barns last night, and couldn't believe what I saw. Last year same week, showed 1825 head run thru and sold. Of that number 832 steer calves and yearlings, 687 heifer calves and yearlings with remainder being pairs, cows and cull bulls. This year 255 head run thru and sold. 23 steer calves, ONLY 2 heifer calves, no yearlings, 33 pairs and remainder cows and cull bulls. A 530wt steer brought $677!!! Isn't this memorial Day 2020 slaughter time?? I'd have to sit on my steer at $677 out of principal I think. We decided to hold over our fall calving calves this year to sell in the fall. Just hope things can get back on track by then...anyone else seeing this in other parts of the world?

Last week our local Sale Barn sold 738 head & today's sale only has 30 hd black fall calving cows listed as early consignment. The majority around here have spring calving so never a lot of calves this time of year but a lot are holding on to their culls because the market has been so bad.

Don't know right off how many sold this time last year, but took an open heifer to market this morning. When I pulled up noticed a lot of trailers there, evidently wasn't a big run cause they said she would sell probably within 10 or 20 minutes.

Coosh71 said:
Looked at local sale barns last night, and couldn't believe what I saw. Last year same week, showed 1825 head run thru and sold. Of that number 832 steer calves and yearlings, 687 heifer calves and yearlings with remainder being pairs, cows and cull bulls. This year 255 head run thru and sold. 23 steer calves, ONLY 2 heifer calves, no yearlings, 33 pairs and remainder cows and cull bulls. A 530wt steer brought $677!!! Isn't this memorial Day 2020 slaughter time?? I'd have to sit on my steer at $677 out of principal I think. We decided to hold over our fall calving calves this year to sell in the fall. Just hope things can get back on track by then...anyone else seeing this in other parts of the world?

$677 for a 530lb steer is $1.27/lb. takes a good one to do that here right now. Heifers are back another .20 cents. 3 weight steers in the $1.50s.

Been some big runs of cattle here the last few weeks.

JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:

$677 for a 530lb steer is $1.27/lb. takes a good one to do that here right now. Heifers are back another .20 cents. 3 weight steers in the $1.50s.

That's terrible, but I see folks are fencing in places a putting out cows instead of replanting trees. We need to get together and send a load or two out west. Should of stuck with it the last time prices went to crap.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:

That's terrible, but I see folks are fencing in places a putting out cows instead of replanting trees. We need to get together and send a load or two out west. Should of stuck with it the last time prices went to crap.

Well Vince I'm just gonna lay it out there like it is. I thoroughly enjoy my cows. I make a little money with them. BUT, in our part of the world, pine trees are a better investment than cows. It's long term. But it's way better. 10 years in CRP, then straw, then cut the wood.

The only reason I don't have pine trees is because of holding power. You've got to buy the land, pay the taxes, plant or grow the trees, etc and do most of the collecting years later. My dad has done real well and accumulated a fairly substantial amount of land doing this. But he had the money, from his "real job", to use which gave him the holding power that I don't have. He bought a tract in 2008 that he is clear cutting right now and it's gonna pay for the land, replanting, and also turn a profit. But my finances wouldn't have allowed me to service the purchase and holding costs without any income. Long gone, it seems, are the days where you could buy a tract of land and immediately cut the timber and pay for the land. If only I could take what I know now and jump back in time 20 years huh?

Those people, IN GEORGIA, that are cleaning up land, putting up fences, and buying cows are backing up from a ROI standpoint. But if a person has the money to do it, then it's that persons decision on how he/she wants to spend it. I've definitely been guilty of it myself. I tell folks that cows are a worse money pit than drug addiction. I don't lose any money. But they're more like a savings account than an investment. Again, IN MIDDLE GEORGIA.

As far as sending some out West.... I sure think it will work if done right. Buy em, get them on feed and vaccinated, do any necessary culling, and then send a pot load to OKC. Or somewhere similar. But I just never have been able to take that leap of faith. And I'd also have to do a little work on my facilities and what not to make the process a little smoother. But I haven't ruled it out. Sell me on the idea. I've thrown away money on way worse I'm sure!

The report from Toppenish listed 1,330 head last week and 1,230 a year ago. Steers in the 5 weight range sold for $1.60-1.70. The majority of the run was kill cows. Very few feeders under 600 pounds.
Vale Oregon had 781 head. They list 500-600 steers at $1.40-1.55. Again the majority of the run was kill cows.
La Grande Oregon had 700 head last week. They list 5 weight steers at $1.40-1.68 and majority was kill cows.

The vast majority of people spring calf so very few calves are sold this time of the year. Cows that lost their calves for one reason or another do go to town this time of year. And Toppenish serves an area with a number of huge dairies so nearly every week there is probably close to 1,000 cull dairy cows.

I have spoken to quite a few other ranchers around the area, and from the sound of it the new beef/not beef crap is one big thing hitting our market right now. I guess Hardee's/Carl's Jr. Announced they will be selling burgers made with this stuff. Everyone here are holding g fall calves until market comes up some. A lot of us calve in 2 seasons around here for this reason. Ya just hope if the spring market is down you can compensate in the fall market. It's been tight some the past year but these prices are tuff right now. Thank God for the rain and grass.

don't matter much boys....

haven't you heard that fake meat is gonna run you all out of business?

What I find amazing is that people are actually trying it and liking it when they have no idea what it is...

but those same folks were grossed out at the thought of pink slime....

Latest posts