WOW...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
..is it ever COLD out!! It's dropped to around -25 C with a wicked windchill of -40 C, and on top of that, fine powdery snow that cuts like a knife on any bare skin exposed to this kinda weather. And the wind and cold's seeping in through the walls, not helping things for me tryin to keep warm.

Definately NOT a day to be out!

The rest of the week's supposed to be no better, it's keeping around the -25 mark, with wind chills probably varying between -35 and -40. :x And I've got classes to walk to this week! Not fun!! :( :mad:

john250":15jezezv said:
You live in alberta freakin' Canada. Get used to it. Dang, that's cold.

Oh I'm used to it...up to -25 C. Without the windchill. Beyond that...I've got every right to beeotch and complain. ;-) :lol:

You bet that's cold!! :nod:

Try calving in this weather; one this morn, and two more ready any hour now. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

What the heck was I thinking that calving in January is sooo much better :dunce: :dunce: .

Thank goodness Mr.HD is home now as we will be doing all night baby watching.One is in the house already ;-) .

-45 tonight :frowns: .

IluvABbeef":1b3l1de2 said:
john250":1b3l1de2 said:
You live in alberta freakin' Canada. Get used to it. Dang, that's cold.

Oh I'm used to it...up to -25 C. Without the windchill. Beyond that...I've got every right to beeotch and complain. ;-) :lol:

You bet that's cold!! :nod:

Karin--that is cold on top of cold. You have my hat off. No, too cold. I'm putting the hat back on.

rest of the week's supposed to be no better, it's keeping around the -25 mark, with wind chills probably varying between -35 and -40. And I've got classes to walk to this week! Not fun!!

Iluvabeef: just to let you know what is coming got up this am blue birds were carrying material to build in the boxes. This pm 68F the ground and ponds thawed out. Just a little muddy.
By the end of the week could be 78F.

Glad you all have tough skin and can take the cold.

Last week we had those temps. We were 1 degree from schools closing -45 including the windchill. -40 without the windchill.
It was so brutal. These past couple of days we have seen a repreve, and tomorrow warm as well -1. But if Saskachewen and Alberta a blooming cold we will not be far behind. Best enjoy this weather while we have it.
Husband has been doing lost of ice fishing

rockridgecattle":25fhkfxm said:
Last week we had those temps. We were 1 degree from schools closing -45 including the windchill. -40 without the windchill.
It was so brutal. These past couple of days we have seen a repreve, and tomorrow warm as well -1. But if Saskachewen and Alberta a blooming cold we will not be far behind. Best enjoy this weather while we have it.
Husband has been doing lost of ice fishing

Thay close schools around her for -10 degrees.

That is way too cold, do you all lose alot of calves from hypothermia?

GMN

-30 C this morning with windchill averaging around -46...sometimes dropping down to -58 C....this is a real cold snap up here folks. It's like this all over Alta....

GMN":1yf73ovw said:

GMN

This is why we check calves every two hours or if it gets as cold as it is in Alberta right now live with them. Keronsine works wonders for frozen ears or tails...if they aren't real bad

rockridgecattle":2wfnzyjs said:
GMN":2wfnzyjs said:

GMN

This is why we check calves every two hours or if it gets as cold as it is in Alberta right now live with them. Keronsine works wonders for frozen ears or tails...if they aren't real bad

Keresone, do you just rub that onthe frozen parts? I never heard of that.

GMN

Yep, it is cold enough to take your breath away. -23 here, with blowing snow. Windchill is probably about -40. We have 1 heifer in the barn today. Don't know if she is going to calve for sure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Once she is done, there should be nothing till about Mar 1.

Yup, like that here too. Just got in for lunch from feeding a lot of extra to the poor animals. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't +2 what 2 days ago!!??! I went out to chop open the heifers buckets (stupid, stupid me, supposed to empty them before night) and my axe froze in the bucket as soon as it got wet. -48 with windchill.
I've got one of my cows that I AI'd due any time now. Had another calf last Thursday, she won't come out of the barn, smart girl. She's got her little cozy cap on too. We're checking this cow every few hours even in the barn, it isn't heated and don't want to lose this one. At least we have some sun, it helps a lot.
Last night I was really stupid. We have a 3 month old puppy and she still gets up once a night to go to the bathroom. So I grabbed her and my housecoat stumbled out the door and about 5 feet out of the house I woke up enough to realize that a housecoat and slippers may not have been the best apparel to got out in. :help: At least she was fast. :lol:
Just have to survive until Thursday, it warms up to -7! :banana:

Believe it or not, :shock: It's 38 degrees here right now :D No wind, NICE, shirt sleeves, {almost]
But the forecast :shock: :help: Gonna be a high of -7 low of -28 Wed. :cry: :x :cry2:

mnmtranching":12knhybt said:
But the forecast :shock: :help: Gonna be a high of -7 low of -28 Wed. :cry: :x :cry2:

Same as the temp here on Thursday except you are crying and I am going to be doing the bannana dance. :lol:
Just to be funny the guy on the local news station spent a few minutes telling us all how warm it was in holiday resorts. If he isn't reporting the weather tomorrow I'll know someone killed him.

I think you must have sent that weather my way. :shock:

A blizzard just decended upon the college campus about 20 minutes ago... looks like it's blowing about 60mph and we've got about an inch of snow already. I can't see the lights from any buildings beyond the sorority houses on the other side of the street, and I'm on the 9th floor so I usually have quite a view.

Hopefully this has moved on by morning, because I have an 8am class on the other side of campus. :p

They let the kids out of school this afternoon at 2PM-- Bitterly COLD out....I went to town today around 11 AM only because I had a doctors appointment that it took 3 months waiting to get into....Much of the 5 mile trip was at 5 mile per hour because otherwise you couldn't see the road....

After the Doc said I'd live to be 100 - I stopped at the waterhole- where all the weekend fishing tournament folks were showing up (two SIL's took the $650 1st place with a 11 1/2 pound walleye they speared :clap: )...

Headed for home about 3PM- snow had quit and the sun was trying to shine-but still quite a ground blizzard- altho the roads are blowing pretty well clear and all the snowdrifts are building in the barrow pits and coulees....When I got home I ran out to make sure the floats weren't froze on the water tanks- and plugged my vehicle in and thought my hands were going to fall off since I'd cleaned up to go to town and only had a light pair of roper gloves on...Still haven't got them warmed up..

Temp is -20-- Wind is out of the WNW at 35-40 mph and the windchill is 50 Below....

Not fit for man or beast.....Man am I glad I'm not calving for another month and half...Sitting here now in my office- having a little good old Canadian R&R to fight off the chill- and waiting for spring...

AN INTENSE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER NORTH DAKOTA CONTINUES TO BRING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TO THE CYPRESS HILLS REGION. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO IMPROVE THIS EVENING AS THE SYSTEM MOVES OFF AND THE WINDS DIMINISH. AN ARCTIC RIDGE HAS INVADED THE PROVINCE BRINGING VERY COLD AIR. FRIGID TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH BRISK NORTHWESTERLY WINDS ARE GIVING WIND CHILL VALUES BELOW MINUS 40. WINDS WILL GRADUALLY DIMINISH OVERNIGHT AS THE RIDGE SETTLES INTO ALBERTA HOWEVER TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN BITTERLY COLD INTO TUESDAY.

-43 tonight with the wind chill -52 :shock: .It hasn't been this cold in ten years.We had a high today of -32 and the wind finally died down.It's amazing how tough new babies are and the girls.

Thursday we are supposed to warm up and let's hope that is it of old man winter.My kitty cat hasn't ate since yesterday he doesn't want to go outside ;-) .

If he isn't reporting the weather tomorrow I'll know someone killed him.
by Victoria

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :nod:

Too true who can even leave their homes unattended in this weather.Our insurance policy states that the place must be checked once a day to be covered if something happens.

OT CC works well as does drambuie. :cowboy:

Latest posts