Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
WORANCH":1d77ukn5 said:
msscamp":1d77ukn5 said:
WORANCH":1d77ukn5 said:
msscamp":1d77ukn5 said:
somn":1d77ukn5 said:
Do I understand you right you harvested 5 tons per acre of mostly alfalfa in one cutting? If so could you tell me what variety it was I need to get my hands on some of that. Most varieties around here might produce that much for the entire crop year. I'm not calling you a liar but dang thats sounds to good to be true. That would be a 20 ton yield per acre for the year.

I don't know if alfalfa can be grown in other parts of the world without irrigation, but a better question might be if this field was irrigated or not. Ours is irrigated and we routinely harvest several hundred ton per cutting off approximately 125 acres. We also just finished approximately 50 acres of irrigated grass (orchard and brome) on shares that yielded right about 20 ton/acre if I heard Dad correctly. I know that we hauled 5 semi loads (4 of small squares and 1 of 3X3X8's), 1 35' trailer (small squares), 1 approximately 20' trailer (small squares), two loads on a flat bed farm truck (3X3X8's - 12 bales/load), and 1 army trailer (3X3X8's - 11 bales) off it. That is not counting the 35 round bales that the owner hauled off it.

I think you need to buy a scale. And stop guessing.

Who is guessing? True, every single bale from our field is not weighed, nor was every single bale from the shares field, but enough of them were/are weighed for each cutting to provide an average bale weight from both fields. Also, I added the statement IF I HEARD DAD CORRECTLY. Perhaps you missed that part in your haste to ridicule?

It's not ridicule,it's advice. 20 tons is a lot of hay . Think about it .

PS We also got 200 small square bales off a 4-5 acre irrigated corner that weighed in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 pounds each - figuring tonnage at the 60 pound weight, that makes the yield 6 ton, but that is a guess. However, I've bucked enough bales, feed bags, boxes of baler twine, and other things in my life that I am fairly accurate at guesstimating weight.

1.5 tons /acre is a long way from 20 .

I'm fully aware that 20 ton/acre is a lot of hay, that is exactly why I added the statement "if I heard Dad correctly".

Yes, it is but 50 acres is also a long ways from 4-5. :roll: Sorry to have to correct you, but the 1.5 came off an entirely different field! ;-)

msscamp So what your saying is the 4 to 5 acre irrigated field yeilded 1.5 tons per acre. But the 50 acre irrigated field yeilded 20 tons per acre. Why such a large yeild swing between the 2 fields. Both irrigated right? This must be like sams club. Hay always yeilds better in bulk. 50 acre fields yeild 1300 % more hay per acre then do the smaller fields. There is an old saying "when you find yourself in a hole stop digging". You should take that advice the more you reply the more obvious it becomes you can't even see ground level anymore.

Msscamp. Here is an article where you can find statistics in alberta. Not too far from Wyoming. Edmonton 2 cuts 5136 kg/ha. It's about 2.3 tons / acres. In Ontario Guelph 6 tons/acres. I wonder what are your methods of culture? How do you fertilize...

Since 1950, many improved cultivars have been bred to increase alfalfa use in Canada. The yellow-flowered M. falcata has been developed for dry-land prairie; blue-flowered M. sativa has been made disease- and insect-resistant to maintain hectarages in areas of Canada with favourable temperature, drainage and soil acidity. Yield varies greatly with temperature and moisture conditions: eg, in the Edmonton area, 2 cuts yield 5136 kg/ha; in Winnipeg, 6787 kg/ha; in Guelph, 3 cuts yield 13 619 kg/ha. Alfalfa will continue to be the most important forage for DAIRY cattle

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTA0000136

somn":3ikdkutz said:
msscamp So what your saying is the 4 to 5 acre irrigated field yeilded 1.5 tons per acre. But the 50 acre irrigated field yeilded 20 tons per acre. Why such a large yeild swing between the 2 fields. Both irrigated right? This must be like sams club. Hay always yeilds better in bulk. 50 acre fields yeild 1300 % more hay per acre then do the smaller fields. There is an old saying "when you find yourself in a hole stop digging". You should take that advice the more you reply the more obvious it becomes you can't even see ground level anymore.

Can't anybody read anymore? I clearly stated "if I heard Dad correctly" - I did not state the field yielded 20 ton/acre as fact. Are you stupid or are you simply choosing to ignore that statement? As far as the superior yield goes, I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that the 50 acre field had 'improved grass' on it (namely Orchard), was under a pivot, irrigated regularly and, as a result, was about halfway between waist and shirt pocket high, thick as thieves, and 10 times bigger! The 4-5 acre field had simple native grass (various wheatgrasses and brome), under flood irrigation, and had only been irrigated 2, maybe 3 times.

What part of the advice did you not understand does someone need to take the shovel you are digging with away before you will stop digging. Don't blame it on your dad he is not the one posting about the 20 ton per acre yeilds you are. You stated it in the begining and you still are arguing about the yeild in the last post. It is not your dad doing the argueing. You are.

somn":35kn0zea said:
What part of the advice did you not understand does someone need to take the shovel you are digging with away before you will stop digging. Don't blame it on your dad he is not the one posting about the 20 ton per acre yeilds you are. You stated it in the begining and you still are arguing about the yeild in the last post. It is not your dad doing the argueing. You are.

I would suggest you find a good tutor that can, hopefully (it's going to be a big job, though), increase your reading comprehension skills.

I can read good enough to know when someone is feeding people on this board a line of crap and you are doing just that. 20 ton per acre per cutting is a line of crap. Maybe you are the one who needs a good tutor. A tutor that can teach you not to lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.