Status
Not open for further replies.

glover36

Reaction score
we just got 97 4x5 big rounds for 10 acres we wrapped it all man it was thick

glover36":kuhnt3vf said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I got 67 rolls off of 50 acres a couple weeks ago, most of it was dust.

Do I understand you right you harvested 5 tons per acre of mostly alfalfa in one cutting? If so could you tell me what variety it was I need to get my hands on some of that. Most varieties around here might produce that much for the entire crop year. I'm not calling you a liar but dang thats sounds to good to be true. That would be a 20 ton yield per acre for the year.

somn":2d2b6c4f said:
Do I understand you right you harvested 5 tons per acre of mostly alfalfa in one cutting? If so could you tell me what variety it was I need to get my hands on some of that. Most varieties around here might produce that much for the entire crop year. I'm not calling you a liar but dang thats sounds to good to be true. That would be a 20 ton yield per acre for the year.

I don't know if alfalfa can be grown in other parts of the world without irrigation, but a better question might be if this field was irrigated or not. Ours is irrigated and we routinely harvest several hundred ton per cutting off approximately 125 acres. We also just finished approximately 50 acres of irrigated grass (orchard and brome) on shares that yielded right about 20 ton/acre if I heard Dad correctly. I know that we hauled 5 semi loads (4 of small squares and 1 of 3X3X8's), 1 35' trailer (small squares), 1 approximately 20' trailer (small squares), two loads on a flat bed farm truck (3X3X8's - 12 bales/load), and 1 army trailer (3X3X8's - 11 bales) off it. That is not counting the 35 round bales that the owner hauled off it.

msscamp":2b5ulmxm said:
somn":2b5ulmxm said:

I don't know if alfalfa can be grown in other parts of the world without irrigation, but a better question might be if this field was irrigated or not. Ours is irrigated and we routinely harvest several hundred ton per cutting off approximately 125 acres. We also just finished approximately 50 acres of irrigated grass (orchard and brome) on shares that yielded right about 20 ton/acre if I heard Dad correctly. I know that we hauled 5 semi loads (4 of small squares and 1 of 3X3X8's), 1 35' trailer (small squares), 1 approximately 20' trailer (small squares), two loads on a flat bed farm truck (3X3X8's - 12 bales/load), and 1 army trailer (3X3X8's - 11 bales) off it. That is not counting the 35 round bales that the owner hauled off it.

I think you need to buy a scale. And stop guessing.

I need to go get my 5 buckle overshoes on the crap is getting deep now. 20 ton per acre one cutting. That is 800 small squares per acre. Never seen a cutter able to get that much thru it. Imagine trying to get that to dry in a windrow. Then imagine how much material is going into the pickup of that baler I can see the shear pins busting now then imagine how fast those bales are coming out that back of that square baler. Then imagine the man power it would take to get it all loaded. Orchard grass is bringing $80.00 per ton here. Those people made $1600.00 per acre off one cutting. I'm in the wrong business. The steers are hittin the road I'm going to start raising grass. How hard can that be. Lets see I think today I will watch the grass grow and tomorrow I will get up early and watch the grass grow again. Come on sometimes we might type slow with poor spelling but we aren't complete idiots. Even if we can't add they make calculators. Those add right all the time.

glover36":1fpyag88 said:

Before to call glover36 a liar ask what kind of baler he has. He did'nt told us the density of the bale. Me I beleve him that he got 9.7 bales/ acres. That's give me no information of the quantity of hay.

Marcel

gendronf":2l4gixar said:
glover36":2l4gixar said:

Before to call glover36 a liar ask what kind of baler he has. He did'nt told us the density of the bale. Me I beleve him that he got 9.7 bales/ acres. That's give me no information of the quantity of hay.

Marcel

It's the 20 ton's. I don't think thats right .
Someone is a bad guesser

gendronf,

I could see that happening myself. The less the density of the bail the more bails you can bail per acre.

You seem to have bailed alot of hay so let me ask you a question. How do you know if you have the density of your bailer set right ?

Stepper":1wxa5l8a said:
gendronf,

I could see that happening myself. The less the density of the bail the more bails you can bail per acre.

You seem to have bailed alot of hay so let me ask you a question. How do you know if you have the density of your bailer set right ?

Depend of the baler. First refer to the operator manuel.
For me
Class 280
Dry Hay: I got 2 adjustment. The core. not too tight for the 10 first inches. I can hardly introduce my hand in the bale.
The second adjustment: the rest of the bale. I can introduce my finger in the side but not the hand.
I do'nt bale dry hay very often.

Silage: The core as hard as the side. You can hardly introduce a finger in the side.
For a farmer next to me in sillage I do a soft core 5 inches because he can't introduce the spear (a truck axle)

New Holland 644

Silage The maximum the machine can handle. 6 bales on this machine = 5 bale on the claas.
I keep this machine in case the claas broke.

Straw the core and the side , at the same density like dry hay. I can introduce my finger in the side but not the hand.

This is my way to work it's ok for me but I know that there is zillion of other methods as valuable as mine.

Marcel

WORANCH":2o9fi3yn said:
gendronf":2o9fi3yn said:
glover36":2o9fi3yn said:

Marcel

It's the 20 ton's. I don't think thats right .
Someone is a bad guesser

I agree with you

WORANCH":2a71wonr said:
msscamp":2a71wonr said:
somn":2a71wonr said:

Who is guessing? True, every single bale from our field is not weighed, nor was every single bale from the shares field, but enough of them were/are weighed for each cutting to provide an average bale weight from both fields. Also, I added the statement IF I HEARD DAD CORRECTLY. Perhaps you missed that part in your haste to ridicule?

PS We also got 200 small square bales off a 4-5 acre irrigated corner that weighed in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 pounds each - figuring tonnage at the 60 pound weight, that makes the yield 6 ton, but that is a guess. However, I've bucked enough bales, feed bags, boxes of baler twine, and other things in my life that I am fairly accurate at guesstimating weight.

4x5 baler probably put out a 1000 pound bale unless it's green. So lets assume it's dry. 97 bales at 1000 pounds each is 97,000 pounds. If we divide that by the 10 acres we get 9700 pounds per acre or almost 5 ton per acre. If we assume a 1200 pound bale which is optimistic, we almost get 6 ton per acre.

I just cut a field that I didn't get cut last year and got 5 ton per acre off of it and it was thick Bahia for my area. That's pretty much the norm for down here at 5/acre.

Just my thinking which I am not used to doing. :lol:

msscamp":1sbbihh5 said:
WORANCH":1sbbihh5 said:
msscamp":1sbbihh5 said:
somn":1sbbihh5 said:

Who is guessing? True, every single bale from our field is not weighed, nor was every single bale from the shares field, but enough of them were/are weighed for each cutting to provide an average bale weight from both fields. Also, I added the statement IF I HEARD DAD CORRECTLY. Perhaps you missed that part in your haste to ridicule?

PS We also got 200 small square bales off a 4-5 acre irrigated corner that weighed in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 pounds each - figuring tonnage at the 60 pound weight, that makes the yield 6 ton, but that is a guess. However, I've bucked enough bales, feed bags, boxes of baler twine, and other things in my life that I am fairly accurate at guesstimating weight.
You need to double check your math msscamp 200 bales X 70 pounds = 14000 pounds / 2000 pounds = 7 ton. 7 ton / 4.5 acres = 1.5 tons per acre. We get four cuttings of alfalfa per year here in Minnesota That would equal 6.2 tons yeild for the year. A bit higher than my average but it was irrigated which makes up the difference. Like I said we might type slow with bad spelling but Wal Mart is not prejudice they will sell calculators to anyone including me maybe you should buy one.

somn":2x9g1y51 said:
You need to double check your math msscamp 200 bales X 70 pounds = 14000 pounds / 2000 pounds = 7 ton. 7 ton / 4.5 acres = 1.5 tons per acre. We get four cuttings of alfalfa per year here in Minnesota That would equal 6.2 tons yeild for the year. A bit higher than my average but it was irrigated which makes up the difference. Like I said we might type slow with bad spelling but Wal Mart is not prejudice they will sell calculators to anyone including me maybe you should buy one.

somn - I am in Wisconsin, West Central.... In my experience it is a rare occassion when you can get the quantity across the board equally. I would say on average 1st crop is by far the greatest in quantity. 2nd crop being the best in quality (usually). 3rd crop being not as good quality/quantity as 2nd. We like to work on a 33 day interval, after 1st crop, with the alfalfa at about an 18 to 20% bloom.

Also, we have 4 x 5 bales and we have weighed on occassion just to get a feel, and we use a 800# average across the board for our calc's (alfalfa).

msscamp":3qn08yc6 said:
WORANCH":3qn08yc6 said:
msscamp":3qn08yc6 said:
somn":3qn08yc6 said:

It's not ridicule,it's advice. 20 tons is a lot of hay . Think about it .

1.5 tons /acre is a long way from 20 .

somn":lfxhsciy said:
msscamp":lfxhsciy said:
WORANCH":lfxhsciy said:
msscamp":lfxhsciy said:
somn":lfxhsciy said:

I do not think the majority of them weighed 70 pounds, hence using the 60 pound weight (plus I didn't want to overstate when I'm guesstimating the weight). 60 lbs X 200 bales = 12,000 lbs, divided by 2 = 6 ton. Thanks for your comments, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts