Would you sell/buy this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
Saw this ad on craigslist and wondered how many would sell a bull such as this for breeding, and how many would buy him for breeding, if they needed a budget bull.

00w0w_4ATCdvsJVPm_600x450.jpg

I have a registered balancer bull. He is 3/4 angus and 1/4 gelbvieh. He is not for a small ranch, he does not fit in with the rest of the group he is a little more heads up. Would be good for a larger group of cows. He is a good looking calving ease bull that can sure travel. Hard feet and good genetics just not a walk up and pet kind of bull.

He is not a bull that acts like he is going to take you or jump a fence just not like the rest who stand there half asleep when you walk in the herd.

he has a -0.3 on BW 72 on WW 107 on YW and 30 on milk, he is muscled up and comes from a first calf heifer. This bull is a steal at $1500 and if you throw him in a pen and feed him all winter he may calm down just fine but I am not going to guarantee it.

Looks young, but not bad. And priced right. Seller seems to be pretty upfront with what you're getting. So no complaints in my book.

Any bull that has that much written warning about his disposition is a bull I avoid. I applaud the seller for their honesty however.

I wouldn't have to think twice about buying that bull. The seller is quite honest. With that bull's disposition, I would not have him. Plus I would buy nothing off Craig's List in the first place.

angus9259":371ovfy9 said:
Any bull that has that much written warning about his disposition is a bull I avoid. I applaud the seller for their honesty however.
For us, a high headed bull doesn't fit with our herd. I wouldn't have him on a bet

Yes, he's certainly honest enough.

I'm mostly wondering the thought process on when to make a steer and when to sell as a breeder. I have but a few cows, and haven't sold bulls, but have sold some evil heifers with a warning to butcher them. They end up breeding them and come complaining later about their disposition. So I've decided if it isn't an animal I would want, I'll butcher and sell as beef.

But for bigger guys, do you sell as breeder if you can get a dollar more as a bull vs. steer, or do they need to meet some kind of standard?

I tolerate more rude behavior from a cow/bull than I should. I figure it only makes two trips a year through my chute. The other 363 it's out eating grass. I bought an 18 month old bull from a gentleman one county over. Gentlest animal I think I've ever owned. He loaded it in my trailer in the middle of his field. It followed him carrying a bucket, right in the trailer. Got him home, and he was just as gentle. A full 1/3 of his calves were bat crap crazy. You couldn't even go in the catching pen with them. They were head hunters. When I had kids, it kinda changed my way of thinking on having high headed cattle around. No need in having them kind around.

djinwa":232xbhe2 said:
Yes, he's certainly honest enough.

I'm mostly wondering the thought process on when to make a steer and when to sell as a breeder. I have but a few cows, and haven't sold bulls, but have sold some evil heifers with a warning to butcher them. They end up breeding them and come complaining later about their disposition. So I've decided if it isn't an animal I would want, I'll butcher and sell as beef.

But for bigger guys, do you sell as breeder if you can get a dollar more as a bull vs. steer, or do they need to meet some kind of standard?
We're really small now compared to some years ago. But our standards have always been the same. If I wouldn't keep him/her for a breeder the nuts come off and they go to the salebarn as feeder cattle. Heifers included, just don't nut them first. Just shipped 2 very well bred heifers Thursday. They weren't up to our standards for replacements so feeder calves they were.

Supa Dexta":f7szh9qc said:
Looks young, but not bad. And priced right. Seller seems to be pretty upfront with what you're getting. So no complaints in my book.
:nod: I agree.
And yes I would buy him, IF I were desperate for a short term bull.
And yes I would sell him, IF someone wanted to buy him and knew what they were getting.

In addition I would also be interested in doing business with this man, seems to be a straight shooter with decent cattle.
As for craigslist, the bull can't read, so where he is advertised would have no influence or carry over on to him. :)

Nothing wrong with buying or selling him but $1500 is too much. Bulls like that get bought and sold all the time around here at feeder price, not bull price. If he were a flawless specimen that price is fine, but he looks a little pinched at the heart girth.

I try to actually see something in person before buying it.

Maybe the seller is a midget and high headed looks different to him. Who knows until you actually see it?

Oh, and I'm not looking for balancer bulls of any type for any reason, so no, I'm not buying or selling this particular bull.

Had one like him couple years ago. Got a buddy that has year round calving herd, works calves once a year and sells when needs the money. Sold him a SimAngus bull out of a great cow but he was just hard to handle. $1200 I delivered him semen checked ready to go. Just sold him in August as a 5 yr old. Used 5 full years. Weighed 2250# brought close to $3000? Then he came and bought a $3000 bull. I was scared he would always buy a "cheap" bull but maybe I got a longtime customer when I was honest and upfront and he did the job.

I think he's a good buy for $1500. Bulls that start out a little hot usually calm down as they get older, and breed cows like crazy. All the bulls we've ever raised have been easy to handle...that's what we like and handle them accordingly, but we've brought home a few that were a bit high headed. Treat them right, and they usually come around.

I would go look at him and see how he acts. If he is just high headed and stand offish I would buy him. We use to have F1 Tigers and F1 Brangus so I am set up and have the experience to handle high headed animals, so I don't mind taking a chance on one like him for the right price.

If I was selling him I would put a warning with him, and wouldn't sell him to anyone green or to someone I didn't think could handle him.

He looks better then a Black Angus we had on our farm for 2 years before we went Charolais. He's not to bad of a looker and for $1500 with todays prices for bulls he would a nice bull to use for a few years or as a fill in. Plus if his calves did well he would then be a steal.