Would you buy this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
Reading all the back and forth on another thread about the importance of buying a bull (or semen) with certain EPDs made me wonder if anyone here would consider buying a bull (or semen from a bull) with the following description:

Bull never saw a halter and is very quiet (I can scratch his rump in the pasture and he won't even look up from grazing). His actual BW was 75lbs. His heaviest bull calf he's sired was 80 lbs and the average bull calf sired was <75lbs; the average heifer calf sired was <65 lbs. He's been serving cows and heifers without a single pull since his second summer (he bred a small group of females as a 15 month old bull). Never been treated for injury, ailment or parasites -- no vaccines, antibiotics or de-wormers ever. Over 75% of his daughters who are currently 3+ years old bred to calve before their 2nd birthday and again before their 3rd birthday without seeing grain.

Dam of the bull calved annually until she was 14 years old (with zero pulls), at which time she left production to produce embryos. She was never treated for illness or injury. She was never vaccinated, given antibiotics or treated for parasites. Without seeing a drop of grain, over 75% of her heifer calves calved annually starting with their 2nd birthday and over half of the bull calves she's delivered ran as breeding bulls for at least two years (the oldest of which ran for 5+ years and is still going). The dams' sire was naturally serving cows and heifers past his 12th birthday.

Sire of the bull bred cows and heifers for two years; he never was treated for injury, ailment or parasites. Over 75% of his daughters calved at 2yrs old and rebred to calve at 3 years old without seeing a drop of grain in the process. Never sired a calf that was pulled.

What else would you really want to know?

Do breeders really need EPDs to make a decision about whether or not a bull is worthwhile?

Walnut, if I was a commercial cattleman looking for good replacement females I would buy that bull, but what if I was just looking to sell calves at weaning? How do his steers weigh up at weaning? You asked what else you would really need to know, and I think that would be pertinent information.

As others have stated, sounds like a good start. Now tell me how his calves grow and his breed. If he's a Scottish Highlands, I'm going to have to pass..

Bull sounds like he would be good for a commercial operation that is looking for consistent breeding and calving. One thing that I would have to question is the breed, like others on here. The bull would have to be black for the market here. I personally am not one of the "black" only believers, but that is what our market dictates. Certain breeds don't seem to "fit" in our operation. They don't click with our cows and we don't get the desired results with the calves.

Is it purebred or mongrel? How's the steers do in feedlots? Is it horned or polled? What breed and is it marketable? How's the growth rate on the calves and what is their average WW and YW?

I'd be a little leery of buying anything from someone who doesn't vaccinate or deworm. Makes me think there's lots of things they don't do. Sounds like an outfit that is only worried about sleeping all night at calving time and ignoring them the rest of the year. That may not be the case but that's what comes to my mind.

southernultrablack said:
Walnut, if I was a commercial cattleman looking for good replacement females I would buy that bull, but what if I was just looking to sell calves at weaning? How do his steers weigh up at weaning? You asked what else you would really need to know, and I think that would be pertinent information.

Easy answer.

If his daughters are big enough to breed up at 12-15 months without grain, and rebreed at 24-27 months, how would you guess his son's might grow?

Lazy M said:
As others have stated, sounds like a good start. Now tell me how his calves grow and his breed. If he's a Scottish Highlands, I'm going to have to pass..

See my earlier response.

If, without grain, the daughters breed up at 12 - 15 months, and rebreed at 24-27 months, the calves grow fine.

Muddy said:
Is it purebred or mongrel? How's the steers do in feedlots? Is it horned or polled? What breed and is it marketable? How's the growth rate on the calves and what is their average WW and YW?

PB or Heinz 57 ... does it matter? He's what you prefer.

Steers growth ... see earlier comments regarding growth ...

Breed ... whatever breed you like ...

Same with horn / poll ... whatever floats your boat ...

Silver said:
I'd be a little leery of buying anything from someone who doesn't vaccinate or deworm. Makes me think there's lots of things they don't do. Sounds like an outfit that is only worried about sleeping all night at calving time and ignoring them the rest of the year. That may not be the case but that's what comes to my mind.

So, owning trouble free cattle is a problem?

Are you a vet?

No reason you couldn't give him grain with antibiotics after you bought him and douse all his calves daily if you'd sleep better. No reason you couldn't pull all his calves either if you felt like that was the only way to feel like you were earning your pay.

In all seriousness, if those things are the only things that bother you about this bull, pretend they're not applicable ... pretend his predecessors had been vaccinated and wormed in whatever way you like for generations leading up to his birth ... and ... those protocols continued during his life leaving up to the day you are considering buying hom.

Personally, I believe there is an argument to be made that we're breeding pour-resistant ticks when we're should be breeding tick resistant cattle. It's loads cheaper and so much easier on the ones tasked with management and the cattle.

Walnutcrest

What is the point to your first post? The answer to your questions depends on missing info. Is he homozygous black? Is he homozygous polled? Phenotype? Breed? If you are talking about Aubrac and Mashona bulls then no I would not buy that bull.

Just wanted to make a point that I am not knocking your cattle. I answered purely from commercial point of view.

WalnutCrest said:
In all seriousness, if those things are the only things that bother you about this bull, pretend they're not applicable ... pretend his predecessors had been vaccinated and wormed in whatever way you like for generations leading up to his birth ... and ... those protocols continued during his life leaving up to the day you are considering buying hom.

Personally, I believe there is an argument to be made that we're breeding pour-resistant ticks when we're should be breeding tick resistant cattle. It's loads cheaper and so much easier on the ones tasked with management and the cattle.

In a parasite/host relationship both organisms are continuously adapting to their environment. These relationships have evolved over millions of years. It is like an endless checker game - the parasite makes a move and the host responds with a move.

The current state of genetics and adaptive biology says the parasite has the upper hand because their reproductive generations are much shorter, thus, there is more opportunity for adaptive changes to be coded in the genes of the parasite.

Consider the current concerns of parasite resistance in cattle. On a biological timescale parasites adapt rapidly to whatever chemical parasiticide is thrown at them. Put your money on the parasite. For every step you make in breeding a parasite resistant cow, the parasite will make two steps in evolving a means to continue the lifestyle it has enjoyed for millions of years.

This is not to say, "give up on breeding parasite resistance in cattle". It does occur. Consider that when Africa was colonized by men on horses - they found that some horses could withstand the Trypanosome diseases of Africa. The Boers called these horses "salted" because of their resistance to deadly Trypanosome diseases.

I don't know how many on here have studied parasitology. I know Lucky_P, Ken and any vet has. Going hand in hand with parasitology is the study of Speciation and adaptive radiation. The state of those sciences tell me, the parasite wins.

Again, I am a strong advocate of breeding parasite resistance into cattle with a strong disclaimer - I want my chemical parasiticide when the parasite is winning - and bet your life, the parasite will!

WalnutCrest said:
talltimber said:
Done on high octane fescue?

Say it's done in whatever environment you live in.

Cattle do what I described in all sorts of environments ... so, pretend it's happening around the corner from you.

He sounds perfect. I am not there yet, still using wormer/vaccs and graining hfrs

Latest posts