worming problems

Help Support CattleToday:

gkkattleman

Reaction score
i am very consitent with worming and vaccinating all my cow/calves....but just recently i have had trouble with a few cows/calves get extremely ill and die just minutes after worming.........has anyone else had this problem

Not trying to be rude or a smart A but I beleive I would be a little motivated to check this out after the first one, being a few minutes after treatment. "A few" Did you just let them pile up outside the chute? :roll:

Nope. I have one that goes into a stuper after a shot every time but the pour on doesn't seem to bother her. I don't guess you are hitting a vein or something. I guess its also possible that you might have a bad batch of wormer. I'd toss it and try something different and definitely call the vet.

Gosh STOP using what ever it is you got, all call a vet for test.

blk mule

no they didn't pile up at the chute......we wormed about fifty and toward the end a seven month old bull became very anxious and then "fell out" and never got back up......and yes he is being autopsied as we speak.....we have been worming cows for almost twenty years and have never had this problem......

Is the wormer the only thing you are giving? What and how much are you giving?

Larry

You folk been deworming for 20 yrs., It`s a sure bet you will find the problem. Post the results if you don`t mind so, we can learn to. Thanks

blk mule

Did you use injectable , oral or pour on? What ingredient?
Have you contacted the company that made it? Make sure you have the lot number handy when you call.

My vet has told me that you can't OD a cow or calf on worm meds, injectable or not, that's what mine says anyway we always give a little extra to everything

Herefordcross":3ug0mw5h said:
My vet has told me that you can't OD a cow or calf on worm meds, injectable or not, that's what mine says anyway we always give a little extra to everything

Yes, but it is possible for the animal to have an allergic reaction to the medication. I have seen a cow have a reaction to ivermectin before. She went down quickly after she was treated. I know she was alive when the vet got there, but cannot remember if they were able to save her or not.

If you were vaccinating this animal could have had a reaction to the vaccine. Those ones go down and die really quickly, unless you have epinephrine around, it is pretty much impossible to save them.

Allergic reactions are uncommon, but they do happen. Any kind of medication, wormer or vaccine can cause it. Animals are no different than humans in that respect(think penicillin allergies). You can save them, but you would have to keep epineprine on hand, and the odds of you ever needing it are slim. We personally have never had one react, but every year we hear of someone in the area that lost a calf because of it.

If you're using a BZ then you CAN overdose- especially if you've calculated the dose based on the biggest animal, then the smaller ones are likely to be effected. It effects the nerves, so you could see anything to do with twitching, paralysis, tremours or spasms.

What are you using? What's the active ingredient on the bottle?

Latest posts