Worming (pour on)

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
What is acceptable protocol?
Directions say top line from withers to tail head.

Now I've seen folks just squirt em across the sides as they run by.
Does that take away from the desired results?
Or as long as ya get it on em somewhere all is good?

TCRanch is correct. Along the top of the spine all the way down. The reason is that you want it to absorb into the skin and that is where the skin is thinnest. It is the same rational as applying flea and tick medicine to a dog.
If you squirt it on the sides, you are just wasting your money because very little will be absorbed.

Bright Raven said that he talked to the mfg's and they said the pour on is just as effective as the injectible if applied correctly. Personally I prefer to inject when I am working calves because I know it goes in. If I could just walk up to them in the field I might prefer a pour on.

Some absorbs through skin of the cow. A large part is ingested orally by the other cows licking the wormer off the backs of other cows. I use a Synanthic drench with a cheap pour on in the Spring. And then use a good pour on like Dectomax or Cydectin for fall worming.

I prefer to use Eprinex if using a pour on. I usually just rotate dectomax and cydectin injectable.

I've about quit worming anything over 2 years old. I just don't see the need. The cows stay fat and should be pretty resistant at that point. If one is hard keeping or has trouble keeping body condition it goes to the sale barn.

Very nice. I was pretty sure there was a reason behind the instructions! Lol

It's been a while since mine were wormed. Some look a bit thin. I think a couple may have a holstein in the woodpile or something. Lmao! Most were raising calves up til this past weekend. About half were first calf heifers. They got plenty of grass. And free choice hay. And always loose mineral available.

So I must admit. I'm not the one I spoke about squirting it down the sides as they run by, but that explains a lot.

That being said, without a chute it is a job!
Cows all running around all nimbly bimbly and what not. A few didnt exactly get the topline like I would have preferred. Most of my cows are pretty calm. I can spray most in the field. But theres always a few...

Edit to add, I used ivermectin

Edited again.. the flies almost vanished! Really am surprised about that.

Dangit. One more edit. I have one cow that didnt get wormed since she was a heifer. The lice get her every year. Hopefully this stops that.

MurraysMutts said:
Very nice. I was pretty sure there was a reason behind the instructions! Lol

It's been a while since mine were wormed. Some look a bit thin. I think a couple may have a holstein in the woodpile or something. Lmao! Most were raising calves up til this past weekend. About half were first calf heifers. They got plenty of grass. And free choice hay. And always loose mineral available.

So I must admit. I'm not the one I spoke about squirting it down the sides as they run by, but that explains a lot.

That being said, without a chute it is a job!
Cows all running around all nimbly bimbly and what not. A few didnt exactly get the topline like I would have preferred. Most of my cows are pretty calm. I can spray most in the field. But theres always a few...

Edit to add, I used ivermectin

Edited again.. the flies almost vanished! Really am surprised about that.

Dangit. One more edit. I have one cow that didnt get wormed since she was a heifer. The lice get her every year. Hopefully this stops that.

Even in a small pen or corral they're surprisingly difficult to pour on especially with the flightier cows you just have to wait until they're all bunched up in a corner and can't run anywhere in my experience, I can't imagine doing it out in a field.

TCRanch said:
Recent thread about worming and resistance.

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=123346

Hey thanks for that link. I didnt look far enough back.
That fecal sample idea is a good one. Closest place here is 50 miles that will do a fecal. I figure by the time I fool with all that I can spend 50 on a jug of wormer and be out a lot less time.

Here's a couple pics. Lmk what u guys think. Ones a first calf heifer. The other is a 7 year old. Both just had the calves pulled off them.

Heifer. I can see a couple ribs..

Cow. Shes got those big protruding hips. Same story on the ribs.

I wouldn't waste my time and money on pour on if you can't get them up. I would just put these out
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/product/cattle/Safe-Guard-En-Pro-Al-Molasses-Block/1#:~:text=Safe%2DGuard%20(fenbendazole)%20En,the%20sole%20source%20of%20salt.&text=Total%20dose%20for%20the%20three,2.27mg%20fenbendazole%20per%20pound).

bulldog04 said:
I wouldn't waste my time and money on pour on if you can't get them up. I would just put these out
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/product/cattle/Safe-Guard-En-Pro-Al-Molasses-Block/1#:~:text=Safe%2DGuard%20(fenbendazole)%20En,the%20sole%20source%20of%20salt.&text=Total%20dose%20for%20the%20three,2.27mg%20fenbendazole%20per%20pound).

These work, but the problem with them is that with a herd, you are never sure if each animal gets a sufficent dose to be effective.

MurraysMutts said:
TCRanch said:
Recent thread about worming and resistance.

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=123346

Hey thanks for that link. I didnt look far enough back.
That fecal sample idea is a good one. Closest place here is 50 miles that will do a fecal. I figure by the time I fool with all that I can spend 50 on a jug of wormer and be out a lot less time.

Here's a couple pics. Lmk what u guys think. Ones a first calf heifer. The other is a 7 year old. Both just had the calves pulled off them.

Heifer. I can see a couple ribs..

Cow. Shes got those big protruding hips. Same story on the ribs.

A dairy look too me.

At that size I would not likely bother unless all having a prob.....

Calves as growing, yep.

Use a race.....pour on when clean and dry and no rain forecast, while your at it check short ribs and tail head etc......plenty of tail head visible there.

That's my very first cow. I raised her from a 400 pound heifer. Chased her all over the country in a vw bug.
I love her, bless her heart. Shes given me a calf every year.

She came out of an old hunchbacked cow. Traded some hay for her. I cant help but think by her build she has a lil 'stein somewhere generations back.
I cannot like seeing hip bones and tail heads.

I would not be worried about it if has dairy.

I hand Angus x Jersey, she grew fine, but always could see the pins and top line, and only when rumen was full did she look more rounded.....she alway would have a square rump.

Anyways....looks ok, you do not want her fat.

Well, the cows are definitely putting some condition back on!!
Weather it was the wormer or pulling the calves off for weaning, is anybodies guess.
Maybe a lil of both!

I know I sure feel better about it tho

Latest posts