Wormers, Safeguard?

Help Support CattleToday:

abun

Reaction score
we have been using ivomec plus for several years. thinking about starting to alternate with the Safeguard paste and the ivomec plus. Anyone used this product, does it work? Is it better to alternate wormers? I have heard some good things about it. We are in southeast Texas.

We alternate wormers, Ivomectrin pour on, then later we use safe gard in the feed.

Larry

We use the Safeguard drench. Seems to work well. One of the few wormers that won't hurt the dung beetles.

Farmgirl

abun":4pdq1rdd said:
we have been using ivomec plus for several years. thinking about starting to alternate with the Safeguard paste and the ivomec plus. Anyone used this product, does it work? Is it better to alternate wormers? I have heard some good things about it. We are in southeast Texas.

Safeguard is a good change from Ivomec. Personally I prefer Cydectin but also used Safeguard drench for a long time with good results.

If you live in southeast Texas you should make sure you use a wormer that will kill liver flukes. I know that ivomec plus will kill liver flukes but not sure about the others mentioned.

Tim":1gi6w0km said:
If you live in southeast Texas you should make sure you use a wormer that will kill liver flukes. I know that ivomec plus will kill liver flukes but not sure about the others mentioned.

Plus really doesns't have enough active ingredient to do a good job on liver flukes although they promote it for them. Get you some Curatrem for liver flukes. Works great.

Used the safeguard paste w/ applicator gun (with the curved end) this weekend. Worked really well. Just 3 squeezes for each calf and off they go.

Farmgirl":1xtbhyeh said:
We use the Safeguard drench. Seems to work well. One of the few wormers that won't hurt the dung beetles.

Farmgirl
Actually, that is not correct. Cydectic used to boast that they were the only safe one for dung beetles. They are not supposed to be advertising that anymore. It is not true. None of the dewormers kill dung beetles unless you dip the dung beetle in the dewormer :lol:
We have used just about every kind of dewormer out there, and we have a great supple of dung beetles. Had a "bug walk" this summer and the entomologist was really pleased.
We deworm cowherd 2x year, and calves 3 x. And yes, it is a good idea to switch around IMO

Jeanne,

I respect you opinion and suspect you have more information than I on the subject, so don't misunderstand my post. I would still be leary of using certain wormers. I don't remember details but there is a window of time that wormers will affect the dung beatles (a few weeks). So they could be affected and then come back.

We have used different wormers also but have been selective in what we used the last couple of years. Now the bugs are working overtime in our pats. Before we saw limited activity.

I suspect climate also has a lot to do with dung beatle activity. With our warm wet weather they have no reason to go into dormacy. If they are dormant the chemicals wouldn't affect them anyway.

My thoughts and experiences.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl - for years we thought we were killing the dung beetles with our wormers, never saw one in our paddies. Turns out we were looking for a beetle bigger than what we have out here. There are many different types of dung b. We have lots of different kinds in our fields, just not BIG ones. And, I didn't know that they could FLY!! We have NEVER used Cydectin. Ivomec, Ivomec knock-offs, Dectomax, Safeguard drench, Valbezen, etc. (used Valbezen & Safeguard about a month prior to bug walk).
Anyway, even the entomologist told the group that dewormers did NOT AFFECT dung beetles. I had heard that Cydectin had to quit claiming they were the only one that didn't kill them. The entomologist is the one that told us that Cydectin was the only company that paid the "millions" to do the testing to prove it so they could claim it. He also was the one that said if you had a bowl of dewormer & you put the dung b in it, it would kill them!

Thanks for all the replies. decided to use valbazen this time to worm open heifers. anyone used this before or have any comments about it? heard cows could abort calves if they are pregnant if given this wormer. True?

We just used Valbazen on ours. The caution on pregnant cows is only for first 45 days. If they are further along than that there should be no problem. I have read that Valbazen is effective against common liver flukes and deer liver flukes. Some of the other wormers only work on common liver flukes.

Good luck,
Farmgirl