safeguard wormer blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
do they work? im thinking about trying them instead of pouring ivermectin. im in the process of building a new catch pen/working area and i cant really get them in a headgate for the next couple months

sstterry":2n3qmlht said:
The problem with them is you do not know the animal is getting the proper dosage.
yea i was wondering about that, if i put out say 50% more than they actually need would that compensate for it or do some cows just not lick it?

Do you keep salt and loose mineral out? If so, take it up for about a week, and then put the safegaurd out. Or, get the pellets and mix in the feed. Search is your friend. It's not ideal, but alot of people have had to go through the same thing, compromised facilities, or life's pressures, so we do the best we can. Worming medication isn't always necessary, but it's some of the best money you can spend ,if it is.

snoopdog":1vwus7li said:
Do you keep salt and loose mineral out? If so, take it up for about a week, and then put the safegaurd out. Or, get the pellets and mix in the feed. Search is your friend. It's not ideal, but alot of people have had to go through the same thing, compromised facilities, or life's pressures, so we do the best we can. Worming medication isn't always necessary, but it's some of the best money you can spend ,if it is.
yea i keep loose mineral out, ill try that im sure the'll hit the blocks hard after a week without mineral.

JMJ Farms":1m8d4sxp said:
I vote for the Safeguard pellets mixed with the feed as well. Not the cheapest route but it will do in a pinch.
id like to try that but they dont get any feed. if i wean calves then im definately gonna try it on them because they do get feed

I used them one time. They sure worked but there are cheaper ways to go. I forget what the advised rate of animals per block was but I know I put out plenty of blocks. 6 or 8 for 40 bred heifers? I spread them out enough to allow lots of room between the blocks.

sstterry":3rlu86qy said:
The problem with them is you do not know the animal is getting the proper dosage.
What you have to do is put a warning sign up by the blocks,with big bold writing. so the cattle can read it,and only consume the recommended amount :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":sz9k1x4p said:
sstterry":sz9k1x4p said:
What you have to do is put a warning sign up by the blocks,with big bold writing. so the cattle can read it,and only consume the recommended amount :cowboy:
The old boss cow was on the wrong side of the sign and ate about a whole block by herself. Last try on that for me. But she was not wormy.

ALACOWMAN":38su9ajb said:
sstterry":38su9ajb said:

My cows all came from Alabama....they can't read! :lol2:

Ebenezer":3ejxazc8 said:
ALACOWMAN":3ejxazc8 said:
sstterry":3ejxazc8 said:
The old boss cow was on the wrong side of the sign and ate about a whole block by herself. Last try on that for me. But she was not wormy.
Least she ate it, my boss cow would just stand over it,and dare one to come near it...if she don't eat it,dang sure nobody else going too either ...

If your concern/goal is to work the cattle just worm them. Unless you have no working facilities, why chance a few cows not getting to the blocks and or getting enough? I'd rather build a panel alley along a barbed wire fence feed inside the alley. Block them in and spray them... 100% wormed

MtnCows93":1fzbhsun said:
JMJ Farms":1fzbhsun said:
I vote for the Safeguard pellets mixed with the feed as well. Not the cheapest route but it will do in a pinch.
id like to try that but they dont get any feed. if i wean calves then im definately gonna try it on them because they do get feed
Will you have your facilities done by weaning time? If so, use injectable or pour on.

MtnCows93":26vlz5m9 said:
sstterry":26vlz5m9 said:
yea i was wondering about that, if i put out say 50% more than they actually need would that compensate for it or do some cows just not lick it?

Unless you weigh every animal individually it's always a guess as dosage is based on weight. I've used them and yes they work.

last year i used pour on and it worked good, maybe ill sneek up behind them and pour it on while there eating hay

I like to use them when the herd is due for a working and I'm tied up doing other things. I'll put them out a few weeks before I catch and use pour on, feel it buys a little time and gets some gut worms too

It is a good product and sure helps in a pinch with no facilities. The problem is, in MOST herds, the mature cows don't really need de-worming - but they will get the most of the product. Any way to sort your cattle into "age" groups?

MtnCows93":3m9a1eb1 said:
last year i used pour on and it worked good, maybe ill sneek up behind them and pour it on while there eating hay
Good luck with that..i don't even like walking close behind them when they know I'm there...they very seldom miss, their target...