working dog

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I am considering buying a cow dog. It would be our first. What do most people use on thier farms .I was trying to decide between the heeler , border collie and the austrailan shepard . I also was wondering if I should just go ahead and buy a broke dog instead of sending it off to school or trying to train it my self .

I think a stock dog should match your management style. What size herd are we looking at and what would you like the dog to help you do? If this is your first, a broke dog would would teach you a lot about hering as well. I would ask for a trial period and a lesson or two in how to use him/her. Will the dog be around children?

A lot depends on your cattle also I use a border collie which has a softer style. You would be better off with a trained dog and you take lessons on how to work the dog.

Have any of yall used a pit bull too work cattle. My friend wants to get one. I have also seen Catahoulas, probly not spelled right. Hear they make great working dogs.

Scotty

Scotty":1e2g36md said:
Have any of yall used a pit bull too work cattle. My friend wants to get one. I have also seen Catahoulas, probly not spelled right. Hear they make great working dogs.

Scotty

I innoculate all pit bulls immediately with a 44. Catahoulas are catch dog's for rough stock and are not people friendly, except owner. I would shoot my friends dog if it were a pit bull and it made a track on my place.

Campground Cattle":ng3yi9uv said:
Scotty":ng3yi9uv said:

Scotty

I innoculate all pit bulls immediately with a 44. Catahoulas are catch dog's for rough stock and are not people friendly, except owner. I would shoot my friends dog if it were a pit bull and it made a track on my place.

Campground is right on with the bulldogs, but Catahoulas can and do make good stock dogs if properly trained and bred. They are not typically bred for herding, moreso they are bred for hunting, but I use a modified version of blackmouth yellow curs down here. We call them Florida Curs. Really nothing more than a blackmouth yellow that has been bred to work cows and catch or bay wild hogs. Collies and the like get overheated and caught up in the brush too easy beacuase of their shaggy coat in our neighborhood.

I agree with Campground and DR on the pit bulls. They rank right up there with rattlesnakes, fireants and terrorists when it comes to usefulness and how they should be dealt with.

Craig-TX

I use border collies for stock dogs. Would go with either a border collie or an australian shepherd over a heeler (very high energy dogs that generally need to be kept busy).

Take care.

I love my Aussie. I would go with a trained one and get some lessons like was suggested so you know how to communicate with the dog the way it was trained. Aussie's are not a hyper dog that needs to be kept busy - they love to have fun & please you but mine is not hyper. She is a very affectionate dog to have as a family dog that can also work.

plbcattle":35wvamsp said:
I saw a show on the cattle show about this guy and his dogs. they are awsome. I plan on buying one from him next year. he is sold outof fully trained dogs. they are real good but proud of them. $2500-$4000 for a trained dog.
http://www.ranchdogu.com/hidnhills.htm

I have seen em go for a lot more, my dogs dad is a Field Trail Champion price 10 grand.

D.R. Cattle":1novf5la said:
Campground Cattle":1novf5la said:
Scotty":1novf5la said:

Scotty

Campground is right on with the bulldogs, but Catahoulas can and do make good stock dogs if properly trained and bred. They are not typically bred for herding, moreso they are bred for hunting, but I use a modified version of blackmouth yellow curs down here. We call them Florida Curs. Really nothing more than a blackmouth yellow that has been bred to work cows and catch or bay wild hogs. Collies and the like get overheated and caught up in the brush too easy beacuase of their shaggy coat in our neighborhood.

DR I agree on the curs being good catch and hunting dogs. I was trying to explain not great herding dogs to the gentleman. There are other breeds that fill that order. If I was going after truely wild cattle I would want a Cat cur. I never seen anything better on saltgrass Tigers.

Like campground said that price isn't bad for a good dog. I work with hunting labs alot and a good one goes for a lot more than that. I was offered $2,000 for my lab at 9 months old. His father was sold for $12,000 and the current owners turned down $15,000 for him. Their not herding dogs but I am sure it is the same way with them also.

Josh

I have seen most of the breeds in action. I like Blue Heeler/ Border Collie crosses. Mainly heeler blood though. Another breed that works cows well is German Shepards. That's what I use. They are easy to train and don't tend to have the attitude of the heelers or collies.

Nothing is wrong with Pitt Bulls. AS long as they are properly handled. They do not make good cattle dogs though. You can do weight pull with them. :)

I went with the Heeler. I got 2 , 10 week old male pups today .I am amazed at the thickness and bone , and foot size in these dogs. I called around . No broke dogs to be found anywhere. The cost would be $4000.00 and up everybody said. Wish me luck . I just got into something I know nothing about.

polledbull":1dwtqwy5 said:
I went with the Heeler. I got 2 , 10 week old male pups today .I am amazed at the thickness and bone , and foot size in these dogs. I called around . No broke dogs to be found anywhere. The cost would be $4000.00 and up everybody said. Wish me luck . I just got into something I know nothing about.

polledbull,

there is a website by ben means that sells videos on how to train a dog.. i asked a few weeks ago on these boards if anyone had used his videos and to what success... but i didnt get any answers..

cant recommend them, because i dont know anything about them, but it is a lead you can chase if you choose.

http://www.theperfectstockdog.com/Videos.htm

good luck

jt

jt":2p42k61j said:
polledbull":2p42k61j said:

polledbull,

there is a website by ben means that sells videos on how to train a dog.. i asked a few weeks ago on these boards if anyone had used his videos and to what success... but i didnt get any answers..

cant recommend them, because i dont know anything about them, but it is a lead you can chase if you choose.

http://www.theperfectstockdog.com/Videos.htm

good luck

jt[/quot

Latest posts