Rate for Working Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

RunninB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have an uncle that has asked me if I would be interested in working his heard for him this year. We do some trading of services for different items that he has that I can use as he is slowing down on some of the things that he once did on his ranch. Typically he has something that I can use and he puts a value on whatever labor I may do for him. He may have an idea of what the going rate is for working cattle but I don't. I assume some people pay for this to be done but don't know if it's done per hd. or what. Can anyone give me an idea.
Thanks.

RunninB":kmbs21ou said:
Hey guys,
I have an uncle that has asked me if I would be interested in working his heard for him this year. We do some trading of services for different items that he has that I can use as he is slowing down on some of the things that he once did on his ranch. Typically he has something that I can use and he puts a value on whatever labor I may do for him. He may have an idea of what the going rate is for working cattle but I don't. I assume some people pay for this to be done but don't know if it's done per hd. or what. Can anyone give me an idea.
Thanks.
I've helped a lot of friends but never hired out. Going rate with friends is usually free beer, summer sausage and cheese. :lol2:

Ya. Normally we just barter stuff like last year he gave me a calf table that he didn't use anymore. Currently there is a elevated diesel storage tank on the table. He said working his cows could go toward that. He's not one to allow me to work for him without some kind of trade or compensation. I'm kind of leaving that up to him. Thanks.

Another question I do have as far as working them, he wants me to band all of his bull calves. I did mine during the winter so I didn't worry so much about the heat and flies. I would assume I would need to give them tetanus vac along with the rest.

cow pollinater":2zbhd3bw said:
TCRanch":2zbhd3bw said:
NolanCountyAG":2zbhd3bw said:
Going rate for day work help is $150/day. A day could be an 1 hour to 12 hours all the same pay. Lunch and beer is usually included

That's what we do. LOTS of beer.
When should I plan on being there?

Weaning early Oct. One of the guys that always helps us lives in Shidler, OK - maybe you can hitch a ride :)

TCRanch":b33283g1 said:
cow pollinater":b33283g1 said:
TCRanch":b33283g1 said:
That's what we do. LOTS of beer.

Weaning early Oct. One of the guys that always helps us lives in Shidler, OK - maybe you can hitch a ride :)

you must be a brave woman to be around a bunch of drunk cow pokes

M-5":1vsvvdpj said:
TCRanch":1vsvvdpj said:
cow pollinater":1vsvvdpj said:

you must be a brave woman to be around a bunch of drunk cow pokes

I drink wine in my to-go cup. So much less stressful :banana:

RunninB":1v6akmi8 said:
Another question I do have as far as working them, he wants me to band all of his bull calves. I did mine during the winter so I didn't worry so much about the heat and flies. I would assume I would need to give them tetanus vac along with the rest.
The tetanus shot would be a good idea.I'd use plenty of srew worm spray.Might be good just to let him set the rate-you might come out way ahead.

How big are the bulls? If several mos old, bands have to be tighter than tight. Tetanus shots a must. I've lost calves on acct of trying this. Flys really aren't an issue here---very little open wound. It's fluid in the sack---if you feel it next day and it ain't cold---you got a problem.

Latest posts