Working calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I finaly sucked it up and bought me a new squeeze chute so I can start working my own calves.. I have watched and assisted the vet hundreds of times, so I kinda know the ropes.. I'm sure I will be very slow untill I get the first couple hundred under my belt lol.. I'm wanting to know what medications I need? I will be cutting the bull calves, pinkeye vac, blackleg, tetanus "for the bull calves" , calf hood for heifers. What else will I need? What other vaccinations do you recomed for this time of year? Also the steers will be Implanted
With ralgro implants if that matters.. Any other recomendations? Where is a good place to order from? Thank you a bunch

thank you guys.. valley vet is where i have been looking also.... I've been looking at "Alpha-7/MB-1" for pinkeye and black leg since it is all in one shot. Anyone else use this? What is the tetanus shot for the steers? What is it called? Last question, What is the calf hood vac. called for the heifers? thank you again

Calf hood vaccination for heifers is bangs. Has to be done by a vet.

ok thats kinda what i figured... i have never seen the ear tags they use for sell so i was wondering.

I would check with your Vet- He might be a few pennies Higher on a dose but the Value of buying from him Could prove to be invaluable in a time of need.

i had to run to town so i decided to stop by the vet and pick up my supplies. as soon as it cools of this evening or first thing in the morning I'm gonna attempt to work my own calves for the first time completely by myself.. Only thing I'm worried about is cutting the bull calves.. i hope all goes well... thank you all for the help

Definitely use valleyvet but for a tetanus we use covexin 8 its a blackleg tetanus in one but if u want to use a pinkeye blackleg and do a separate shot for tetanus fine too

Tbrake":3ojfc453 said:
i had to run to town so i decided to stop by the vet and pick up my supplies. as soon as it cools of this evening or first thing in the morning I'm gonna attempt to work my own calves for the first time completely by myself.. Only thing I'm worried about is cutting the bull calves.. i hope all goes well... thank you all for the help

Hope the flies aren't a problem.

Tbrake":2hn6yrsr said:
Where is a good place to order from?

valley vet supply is good...but I like Leedstone better.

Leedstone has $10 off on orders of $10 or more till the end of the month with promo code 102014
I'd post the link for them...but people might think I work for them...which I don't.
They have just always gone above and beyond for me, and I believe in returning the favor by word of mouth whenever asked.

A couple of things that I like about Valley Vet is free shipping on most stuff. Also the speed of delivery, but that is probably do to location. Typically if I order something by early afternoon on one day it's delivered the next day.

One less shot to stress them out with. The injectable stings. Pour-on is easy, and does the job. We use Cydectin.

Latest posts