Woods after logging

Help Support CattleToday:

The loggers here don't use a chainsaw much...most is done with machinery...There is one guy who trims the ends once its on the trailer...BUt, when my husband was thinning the trees, he didn't have a delimber so they did use a chainsaw, but trees were already on the ground...

cowgirl8":1y12b3dr said:
The loggers here don't use a chainsaw much...most is done with machinery...There is one guy who trims the ends once its on the trailer...BUt, when my husband was thinning the trees, he didn't have a delimber so they did use a chainsaw, but trees were already on the ground...
That is were most of the injuries happen, cut a limb or top off on the ground and it rolls on you, or jumps back and hits you, etc. etc. etc. Also are we talking hardwood here or pine?

jltrent":pbwdrqua said:
cowgirl8":pbwdrqua said:
That is were most of the injuries happen, cut a limb or top off on the ground and it rolls on you, or jumps back and hits you, etc. etc. etc. Also are we talking hardwood here or pine?
They were early thinning and pines.. totally different

herofan":2xt06w6t said:
Bright Raven":2xt06w6t said:
It takes a minimum of 30 to 40 years for the big hardwood species

is it part of the process that part of the trees will die out over that thirty years, which will leave some ground space as before.

What I miss is the space that once existed where we could actually drive around in the woods. Now, aside from the mature trees that remain, there's a tree about every foot that's about 2 inches in diameter, which is what I call a thicket.

Nature is slow but like Dun mentioned you can use TSI to work with nature to speed things up. In the "thicket" you could walk through and use a streamline herbicide treatment on the undesirables to give your crop trees space. Trichlopyr 4 with diesel would do a good job and could be used to release your crop trees from the competition. By doing this the growth going into the weed trees will go to your crop trees making them grow faster. This will cost very little other than your time. May seem daunting and overwhelming at first but if you'd be surprised at how many acres you can cover in a day if you just have at it. Its also best to add dye to your mix mark what you've done.

I haven't commented here because there is a huge difference between my part of the world and the area of the OP. But a universal fact is that you don't just log and let the regrowth occur. A good healthy forest requires management. A big part of that management would be thinning the regrowth in whatever form it is in.
As a side note I would have loved a MS660. Try running up and down hills all day with an 075. The power head weighed 35 pounds dry. Add a 36 inch bar and chain and a quart of gas and it was a real joy to pack. But we were cutting trees 250 feet tall and knew exactly where it was going to fall.

Dave":3ltiszqm said:
But we were cutting trees 250 feet tall and knew exactly where it was going to fall.
Hard woods (oak/hickory) is a little harder to get where you want them but even I can drop one within 2-3 foot of the center of where I want it to fall. In washington I never really learned to wedge trees, around here you either learn or give up from causing too much damage.

dun":1c3ns784 said:
Dave":1c3ns784 said:
But we were cutting trees 250 feet tall and knew exactly where it was going to fall.
Hard woods (oak/hickory) is a little harder to get where you want them but even I can drop one within 2-3 foot of the center of where I want it to fall. In washington I never really learned to wedge trees, around here you either learn or give up from causing too much damage.

I cut lots of Big Leaf Maple. Be the same as oak and hickory. Not as hard but the same growing pattern. It sure wasn't my favorite thing to cut.

Latest posts