Wood Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":dvj3noql said:
Stepper a conventional fire place usually sucks more air out of the house than it puts into it. If you do go with the fireplace by all means put an insert in it that will blow the heat into the house and will allow you to damper it down as well and extend the length of time the wood last. We have a pellet stove and love it. Course it doesn't get as cold here as up north but it keeps the family room very toasty and cuts way back on the electric bill in the winter. A bag of pellets last us several days burning it only after we get home everyday. Don't know what part of the country you live in but where available red oak is one of the hottest burning wood. It think most folks out here in central Texas use post oak as it is readility available.

I agree, an air tight insert is the only way to go with a fireplace. Also keep a tea kettle full of water on it (with the whistle removed), keeps the humidity in the house.

Stepper":1si940au said:
From what i hear about the outside wood furnance's they eat up alot of wood and are not very efficient.

Depends on the stove if it has blower fan or just an electric damper I burn 7 cords a yr from Nov to May( temps down -40 F) .I heat an 108 yr old 2700 sq ft house and my hot water.

Anybody know of someone who makes a 2 sided or double sided stove? I found some on the net but they are all in England and France. I have a client that wants to rip out his 2 sided fireplace (no heat output) and put a 2 sided stove in the opening.