Withdrawl time

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

auctionboy

Reaction score
I am about to start up my small feed lot and want to know how long I have to keep animals I buy from auctions and have no records of? How long is the longest withdrawl time? Also would it be wrong to get the sellers name and number to call them and ask?

Oxytetracycline has a 35 day. Ralgro has 65 day. Some of those cattle rub things can be as much as 45 days. Ivomec is 35 days. Florfenicol is either 35 or 40 can't remember which. Ivomec plus is either 65 days or 56 days. Best thing to do is call your local vet and ask for a drug withdrawl chart for cattle.

Gentocin (not illegal but pretty close) has an 18 month meat withhold. Guys still use it even if it ain't right.

redcowsrule33":jx49xqhz said:
Gentocin (not illegal but pretty close) has an 18 month meat withhold. Guys still use it even if it ain't right.

Gentamycin (or gentimicin). 18 month withdrawal is the minimum, I've heard it recommended to wait 24 months.

So how does that work, if you buy feeder stock and someone uses a drug with a very long withdrawal period (like gentamycin)and when they are butchered and residuals are found who is responsible you or can you go back to the previous owner/owners ?

That might be something you also should look into Auctioin boy,,jmo.

auctionboy":1gzp1m4f said:
Also would it be wrong to get the sellers name and number to call them and ask?

I wouldn't think so. And if the sale barn you bought from has a policy of not handing out that information, you could request that they contact the former owners and give them your contact information.

Personally I would not hesitate to answer any questions about any of the animals I have sold through the auction/sale barn.

Katherine

hillsdown":1rwwg02d said:
So how does that work, if you buy feeder stock and someone uses a drug with a very long withdrawal period (like gentamycin)and when they are butchered and residuals are found who is responsible you or can you go back to the previous owner/owners ?

I am most conserned with selling it to someone I know and killing them. I would guess most of this long lasting stuff is only used on dairy cattle?

auctionboy":2tysittu said:
hillsdown":2tysittu said:

I am most conserned with selling it to someone I know and killing them. I would guess most of this long lasting stuff is only used on dairy cattle?
If I were you I would not be guessing with someone elses life. But so far you have been able to get by doing it. Luckily for you nothing you have sold under inspection has come back positive.

somn":lp1ym8xk said:
auctionboy":lp1ym8xk said:
hillsdown":lp1ym8xk said:

If I were you I would not be guessing with someone elses life. But so far you have been able to get by doing it. Luckily for you nothing you have sold under inspection has come back positive.

Somm where is that coming from, so far it sounds like it is a work in progress.

As for dairy's I doubt it since the ultimate goal is milk and the longer the withdrawal period the longer they cannot go in the tank, we always liked to use if possible a short withdrawal period drug to get them back in the tank as soon as possible. Also dairies usually keep meticulous records regarding animal health. And after reading some of the posts on this board who knows what people may use.

I have to agree with Katherine if you are unsure definitely call the previous owners up , if they have nothing to hide they will be honest with you. I know I would be, in fact I usually send a list of what animals have been given a long with the dates. Especially if we worm yearling steers before we sell them to let the buyers know just in case someone was thinking of butchering them right away.

hillsdown":1bgyu63d said:
Auctionboy has a past history of buying questionable cattle at auctions and sale barns then selling them thru non USDA inspected slaughter facilities to unsuspecting consumers. If and when he ever owns enough cattle that they are sold thru public auction for slaughter thru a USDA inspected facility I'm certain the FSIS will be visiting his farm.

hillsdown":3vvoq64l said:
So how does that work, if you buy feeder stock and someone uses a drug with a very long withdrawal period (like gentamycin)and when they are butchered and residuals are found who is responsible you or can you go back to the previous owner/owners?
Federal court in more than one state has made the decision that the final owner before slaughter is responsible to insure that no medications were administered and if medicated that all withdrawl times have been met.

somn":28raw17z said:
hillsdown":28raw17z said:
Auctionboy has a past history of buying questionable cattle at auctions and sale barns then selling them thru non USDA inspected slaughter facilities to unsuspecting consumers. If and when he ever owns enough cattle that they are sold thru public auction for slaughter thru a USDA inspected facility I'm certain the FSIS will be visiting his farm.

Please do not slander my future business anymore. Here in NY all slaughter houses are USDA! Every anaimal I have slaughtered was USDA inspected and were in great health. Do you want to start this again? How about the antibiotics and growth hormones you feed all of your cattle? You knowingly put people at risk! I am trying to ask questions and learn a few things. Leave my posts alone because I am trying to do something constructive, you just want to fight.

Can I take samples of blood or feeces and get them tested at the vet?

Why would gentamycin not be totally banned for use in food animals if the withdrawl time is so long? Thats a crazy withdrawl time! Is there anywhere on the net that I can find withdrawl times for drugs commonly used in livestock? If a cow is given gentamycin @ say 8 months pregnant....will the calf not be contaminated also? hmmmmm

Withdrawl time is always a concern. Over the summer I was feeding minerals with fly control (Rabon) and noticed that the packaging stated that "no withdrawal time has been established". So.... they just don't know. Not a good thing.

The bulls we have been feeding off for butchering did not get any of that particular mineral.

You should be able to find a withdrawl time chart online, or call your vet and they can probably get you one.
even though it happens (medicated cattle going to auction) it isn't supposed to, No medicated cattle are supposed to go to auction, (until proper withdrawl times are met) if the animal has residue then the previous owner can be fined, because they offered them for sale to potentially go into the food supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts