Winter Is Here

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
We finally got our first taste of winter, and boy did it blow in with a bang! All day today the wind blew 50 to 90 miles a hour with wind gusts at 120 miles a hour. It caused lots of damage, Calf shelters tipped, trees on fences and much more. Right when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it snowed. It was only a inch but it still is upsetting. :cry2: I guess it is time to wave good bye to warm weather :wave: and say hello to cold and miserable weather. :welcome:

jka300":2sovh772 said:
We finally got our first taste of winter, and boy did it blow in with a bang! All day today the wind blew 50 to 90 miles a hour with wind gusts at 120 miles a hour. It caused lots of damage, Calf shelters tipped, trees on fences and much more. Right when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it snowed. It was only a inch but it still is upsetting. :cry2: I guess it is time to wave good bye to warm weather :wave: and say hello to cold and miserable weather. :welcome:

jka300 not many day for the grass to continue to grow here and we think it is stressful that the leaves on the tree will be gone for 6 month. I will say to you in the north I am glad you are there and not me. Cold winds and short days never have learned to enjoy. I was on this board last winter you in the north would tell the temps. made me enjoy every day that I thought it was cold.

I saw a little patch of frost on a roof a couple of days ago. Buy 11:00 am I was down to a tee shirt. That is about all of winter I care to see. When the temps drop below 70 I am ready to curl up under a blanket and not get back up until March. I don't see how you guys handle it up north.

jka300":25ycpbik said:

You got snow up there? Wow, around here (and I'm not too far from you btw) only got a skiff and it didn't even last long enough to stay on the ground, just melted as soon as it touched the ground. Blew like heII around here too, surprised our largest swamp spruces standin' alone in the yard didn't blow over in them 100 kph winds. :shock:

Yep, winter's almost here...but surprising it's supposed to go up to 16 C on tuesday :? Kinda weird, don't you think?

I am with Nova... dont see how in the world you Canadians handle that cold weather. It was 33 degrees on my thermometer this morning, and expecting below freezing temps tonight (Monday). Time to get the rest of my apples off the trees, and tomatoes off the vines.

jka300":1ix0lapn said:
dang!! what was the wind chill at that speed.. ? if something like that happened down here it would shut the whole south down, animals would die in their track's

ALACOWMAN":20u3fcjf said:
jka300":20u3fcjf said:
dang!! what was the wind chill at that speed.. ? if something like that happened down here it would shut the whole south down, animals would die in their track's

Idk, probably -5, -10 C maybe...there was reports that somebody got killed from a big branch slamming into the windshield of a car when they were driving in that nasty wind. Passenger that had just survived from bone-marrow cancer (or something like that) was the victim, killed instantly, but the driver just recieved a minor bump to the head. Pretty scary.

Supposed to get down to 34 here tonight then in the mid 60's tomorrow. I hope we don't get a frost cause that will do my garden in before I've had time to strip it. Cows are frisky though. :nod:

Its 37 now with full sun. Not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Don't know if we had any frost as I didn't make it out in time this morning.

Worked on larry's brain teaser to long last night. :lol:

We definitely had a heavy frost last night... 27 this morning at 7AM. Good thing we got all of our garden and apples picked; covered up the spinach and lettuce.. hope it survived.

Angus Cowman":3vit4msp said:
was 24 here at the house and 21 down in the creek bottoms this morning ready for spring already

24 here too. Didn;t go off the ridge to see what it was lower and don;t really care what it was. Come on spring!

Dun I put my order into mother nature for the weather for the next 20 yrs
High Temp: 72 -80
Low Temp :45-50
Sky: partly cloudy to sunny
Rain: 1" every 7 days
Snow : leave it out
Tornadoes: No thanks

I haven't heard back yet but when I do want me to put in an order for you also

left the house before daylight this morning so don't know if we had frost or not. Temp. in my truck showed 33 so should have had some frost. Humidity was only about 15% tho. Hi today around 70.

It was 22 at the house this morning. We usually get our first hard freeze about now. So much for the Bermuda, hopefully the cool weather grasses will start performing.

IluvABbeef":1otvmnmz said:
ALACOWMAN":1otvmnmz said:
jka300":1otvmnmz said:

Idk, probably -5, -10 C maybe...there was reports that somebody got killed from a big branch slamming into the windshield of a car when they were driving in that nasty wind. Passenger that had just survived from bone-marrow cancer (or something like that) was the victim, killed instantly, but the driver just recieved a minor bump to the head. Pretty scary.

Ya I sort of know that guy that got killed. He was the superintendent for our school division. Its kind of ironic though that he survived cancer just to get killed by a tree!

Latest posts