Winter grass planting

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Over seeded some pasture today with some weat. I spread some fertilizer on it last week so hopefully the cows will have some good eatting this fall and early winter. Never planted weat before usually plant rye so it will see how it goes.

I no tilled 12 acres Friday in wheat. I had cut the hay on this field a couple weeks ago. Also spread the fertilizer Friday. I use wheat instead of rye because I feel it does not winter kill as bad. Not sure that is true but I think so.

Kenny when do u start grazing the wheat? Do u just turn them in and let them graze it down then take them off of it or just leave them on it?

pricefarm":3sffruho said:
Kenny when do u start grazing the wheat? Do u just turn them in and let them graze it down then take them off of it or just leave them on it?
I try to wait till at least December but it is usually just whenever I need it. I like to just graze sections of it and take them off. I really like to graze small calves on it but this year they are so high I am not sure I will. I only do hayfields and the wheat helps the hay quality in the spring cutting.

Yea well I ain't even fueling the tractor cuz I don't think it's going to rain which really sucks a lot of fun out of being a " grass farmer" ....:(

Another advantaged is that wheat seed is a lot cheaper than rye the wheat was 12$ for a 50lb bag. The man at the co op said the same as Kenny about the winter kill.

No-tilled 25 acres in wheat this past weekend. Wondering if I grazed the pasure low enough though?

shaz":1s5m8ize said:
No-tilled 25 acres in wheat this past weekend. Wondering if I grazed the pasure low enough though?

Ya I had the same thoughts most of what I seeded was ate down pretty close but places where still kinda tall. We are suppose to get some rain on Thursday so I guess I will wait and see how it comes up.

Dogs and Cows":gkstd5fy said:
Interesting info...I over seeded cereal rye on Aug 31. We have had good rain since. I am just south of you guys...and here they say it should be ready to graze mid Nov. I am hoping it will really cut down on my hay feeding...as long as this winter is not like the last. I am interested in your comment Kenny about the winter kill...I was told that Rye was better. Of course I have no personal data or experience but if Wheat is better I would switch over to it in the future. Do you see a big difference? Have you been able to graze through most of the winter in the past? Thanks!!

Tim
I have not used rye so I really am not sure about the winter kill, its just what I have always been told. I usually graze some small calves on it all winter and then it comes out and is in the hay with the fescue, orchard grass, bluegrass and whatever else happens to be there. Just a fairly cheap addition to the fields. I dont do but 15 acres or so.

Are you confusing rye and ryegrass? Cereal rye is the most cold tolerant of all the small grains. I have seen ryegrass freeze out here in East Texas. Cereal rye works well on real sandy soils and it plays out earlier so it transitions to warm season grasses here in East Texas better if you are not trying to cut for hay.

Cereal rye here. Or maybe still something different. The only thing rye is usually used for here is as a cover crop to hold the soil. I have no sandy soils so that is not an issue. I think I may try some rye just to see. The cost of the seed is a big difference. Wheat is $12 and Rye is $18 here.

I am planting barley now just on price....it is half the price of Cereal Rye....

am discovering that the paddocks I sowed in late july were too early though....the grass crowded out the overseeded stuff...some of the legumes may show up later though.....the grass has done well because we have had good rains lately....

the covers I broadcast last week are already doing well....

I learned this year that in the future I am going to use more hairy vetch and wooly pod vetch....not much for winter grazing but if you let it grow in the spring.....very good forage and awesome soil builder...

farming will always be a crap shoot...

kenny thomas":zftatk21 said:
Dogs and Cows":zftatk21 said:
Interesting info...I over seeded cereal rye on Aug 31. We have had good rain since. I am just south of you guys...and here they say it should be ready to graze mid Nov. I am hoping it will really cut down on my hay feeding...as long as this winter is not like the last. I am interested in your comment Kenny about the winter kill...I was told that Rye was better. Of course I have no personal data or experience but if Wheat is better I would switch over to it in the future. Do you see a big difference? Have you been able to graze through most of the winter in the past? Thanks!!

Tim
I have not used rye so I really am not sure about the winter kill, its just what I have always been told. I usually graze some small calves on it all winter and then it comes out and is in the hay with the fescue, orchard grass, bluegrass and whatever else happens to be there. Just a fairly cheap addition to the fields. I dont do but 15 acres or so.

Dogs and Cows one thing you need to think about is the freeze and winter differences from where kenny is to where we are. The winters in our region are much more mild than his. I plant both and do not see a major difference here because of the mild winters. I have never planted wheat in a pasture just on crop land but have planted the rye in pastures. I am planting rye this weekend for the pasture I am putting it in.

i hope yall are notilling 100lbs of wheat to the ac.remember to put your cows on HImag miners 3wks before you start grazing the wheat.or you could have bloat probs and loose some cows.

bigbull338":1javyl8d said:
i hope yall are notilling 100lbs of wheat to the ac.remember to put your cows on HImag miners 3wks before you start grazing the wheat.or you could have bloat probs and loose some cows.

Ya that's what I drilled 100# per acre. Ya I thought about the big mag mineral I will diffently do that before turning in. Thanks

Dogs and Cows":sxszdafa said:
That is just for wheat right...not cereal rye too? I have never read anything about rye. PDF...are you sowing the barley for winter grazing...or for spring? Down here I was told that I could graze my rye come Thanksgiving time...I am hoping that this will cut down on my hay expenses. I simply broadcast and then lightly disced 100#s to the acre. Do you have any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Tim
Cereal rye is planted at the rate of 90 to 100 lbs/acre. Ryegrass is planted at the rate of 25 to 30 lbs per acre. Most people drill in small grains. I have seen small grains broadcast on land that had been well disked, broadcast the seed and then harrowed to put the seed in contact with the soil.

I just purchased a great Plains Drill I sure hope we like it as it was a major investment and this is the first time we will be using it. I ordered our seed yesterday and I am planting the following

On a prepared seed bed
75lbs Horizon 201 Oats
25lbs Florida 401 Rye
15lbs Prine Rye Grass

Drilled into Bahia grass Pasture
30lbs Prine Rye Grass

Latest posts