Winter Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

No, but I'm going to plant some turnips and mustard in the next few days. What did you plant in yours?

I've put most of mine out but I doubt I'll have good results for another month. My idea of succesion planting is to plant to early and then spend the rest of the season reseeding enything that didn't take. :roll:

The only thing that grows here in the winter is moss. I already have a good crop of that going.

But really I just ate my first sweet corn of the year earlier this week. The summer garden is just now getting ripe.

ga.prime":3aqff066 said:
No, but I'm going to plant some turnips and mustard in the next few days. What did you plant in yours?

I planted curly Kale curly Mustard turnips beets broccoli cauliflower brussel sprouts cabbage and collard greens.

thanks ga.prime I lost my summer garden the only thing that I got out of that was tomatoes somewhat.. but my sweet potatoes are still alive not sure how big or how many I will have. My white potatoes didnt make it.

I've been stagger planiting mine. Planted peas at end of August with the rain and am picking them now. Have cabbage, lettuce, onions, garlic, brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts in ground but haven't planted the greens yet. It just keeps raining on me.

Jogeephus":164daahl said:
Planted peas at end of August with the rain and am picking them now.
That's pretty good! Twenty days since the end of August. What kind of peas are those?

ga.prime":3dfmz3i2 said:
Jogeephus":3dfmz3i2 said:
That's pretty good! Twenty days since the end of August. What kind of peas are those?
Wow! They must be on steroids :mrgreen:, it must be that 'stuff' Jo works into his ground . I know sugar snap and snow peas are quick to mature, usually around 55-60 days. It always amazes me to see new varieties coming out with the 'days to harvest' getting less and less, some day we will be able to grow a pumpkin in a month.

Same here.. we havent planted our greens yet, or our fall lettuce.. plan to soon though.

ga.prime":21yu4kzy said:
Jogeephus":21yu4kzy said:

I found a seed bill so it was the 18th of August when I planted after we got that cooler spell and I got the notion from some volunteer pea sprouts that I could go ahead and plant. I jumped the gun a bit on the timing but with all the rain we had everything grew like crazy and didn't burn up. On the right are zipper peas, the staggered planting where Eli is standing has brussel sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower in it. Eli is standing on the brussel sprouts and he knows better but he loves to have his picture took. To the left of that is Mississippi Red Butterpeas which I highly recommend. Then there is cream 40 peas (already about played out), green crop beans (white flies did a number on them though), Mississippi purple hull peas, speckled butterbeans, Blue lake green beans (white flies tore them up too) and red zipper peas.

Garden001_zps4f56ddb0.jpg

Not pictured is a portion of a row of summer squash but ya'll seen dead plants before I'm sure so no need showing such a brilliant failure. White flies again. In the gap on the far right is where I'll plant the turnips and mustard and maybe some rutabegas. I really need to spend some time in the garden but I'm sortof taxed at the moment. Picked four bushels of peas this week and have given away a lot but there is still a lot of stuff going to waste.

Jogeephus, you do realize that there's is a line between gardening and flat out farming, right? I tend to overproduce my produce but you've got me beat by miles. :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: CP, I can't help myself. I guess its my many failures that force me to want to plant "a little extra". Then there are those seed books they send you in the mail with the pretty pictures. It ain't fair. :nod:

skyhightree1":2mmb3osg said:
my little winter garden ... i guess i should have hooked to the cultivator and layed my rows instead of using the hoe to make my rows lol ... o well crooked rows hold more seed lol

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z44 ... 2db724.jpg

Straight rows are boring! :lol:
Pretty garden though. I can't do a winter garden, but I do plant for fall harvest. Beets, peas, dwarf bok choi, carrots, turnips, watermelon radishes and rapini. All varieties that can be harvested in about 60 days. Looks like I might still have to protect some of it with row cover this year. I think we may see an early frost.

That is a nice garden. The color is really nice and healthy looking. A lot of mine is off colored due to the heat but hopefully it will be cooling down shortly and they won't be under so much stress.

Thanks cottage and jogeephus I appreciate that. I am wondering when our first frost here will be.You are right Jogeephus my spring/summer garden was horrible I planted 105 sweet potato slips and got maybe 20 sweet potatoes my regular white potatoes I got none lol cucumbers squash cantaloupe watermelon beans peas all dried up it was horrible. I am glad to see my stuff coming up. I plan on getting about 200 onion bulbs and plant this weekend with some lettuce and spinach. On the far right is my turnips and i always drop and barely cover them this year i sewed them and used a disc and covered them about inch -inch half and there better than i ever had before. The beets didnt come up guess they really only like a lil bit of dirt.

I don't grow beets, but I do have trouble with rutabegas. They seem to be finicky on the depth thing. Usually, I just lightly harrow the garden and mix turnip seed with grits and broadcast them with a seeder.

The other day I found a push planter that turned into a cultivator at a hardware store. This contraption is built for small seeds like turnip and drops one seed at a time at the correct spacing. Its hand made by the amish and I gotta say I am very impressed with the craftmanship. Its pretty expensive but the handles are made from wood (ash I think) and its just like one my grandfather had less the planter option. I'm really thinking about buying the thing. I know it won't pay for itself but just to have something of this quality is very tempting. It would definitely help with things like carrots, onions, brocolli or other small seeded plants that you grow from seed.

Jogeephus":14426zqf said:
I don't grow beets, but I do have trouble with rutabegas. They seem to be finicky on the depth thing. Usually, I just lightly harrow the garden and mix turnip seed with grits and broadcast them with a seeder.

The other day I found a push planter that turned into a cultivator at a hardware store. This contraption is built for small seeds like turnip and drops one seed at a time at the correct spacing. Its hand made by the amish and I gotta say I am very impressed with the craftmanship. Its pretty expensive but the handles are made from wood (ash I think) and its just like one my grandfather had less the planter option. I'm really thinking about buying the thing. I know it won't pay for itself but just to have something of this quality is very tempting. It would definitely help with things like carrots, onions, brocolli or other small seeded plants that you grow from seed.

That thing sounds nice... I will just tontinue to do mine the old school way lol.... Yes they are very funny about the depth and I just dont understand why. I have never raised broccoli from a seed I always buy the plants from local farm supply shop. Do you hand set your bulbs in the dirt or do you just toss them in and let them grow?