Wine Was Good Last Night

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I confess, sometimes the anxiety of a lonely cowboy causes me to fall on my wine as a crutch. :D

I had two calves born yesterday. I posted early yesterday on the Upgrade.

Late yesterday my Hudson Pine Rocking P cow, Bartlet was alone down in the holler. I went down and saw the tail flagging telling me she was in early labor. Went back to HQ and mowed around the homestead. Went back and she was pushing. I left. Went to the house and ate. Went back at dusk. Watched her at a distanced. Getting dark. Walked down and felt for feet and head. Big calf. Good presentation. Watched. She was not making progress. Went back, got chains and handle. I use a separate chain for each foot and the metal handle to pull with. It only took a light pull. Bull. Big. Put calf guard down his throat. Went back to HQ.

Decided to go back. Dark. About 9:30. Calf and cow in distress mode. Calf fell into a pushed up pile of logs remaining from when I dozed off my land.
2zgs1m8.jpg

In the dark, I climbed into the logs. Calf must have fell in. The more he struggled the deeper he got. He was still soaking wet. Took me 20 minutes in briers, poison ivy and logs to get him out. I thought he had to weight a 120 pounds. Mom was nervous. Got him up to her. I am sure he has not nursed. Must have fell in almost immediately after delivery. I help him get a couple teats going. Mom was happy. She stood patiently while I worked in the pitch dark with her baby.

Went I got back to HQ, I got my soaking wet clothes off. The up close and personal embrace soaked my clothes with his fluids.

I have to say. My wine might have been a crutch last night.

Calf:
284 days post AI.
94 pounds.
Sire: Grandmaster.
Dam: HP/RP Sure Bet
Bull

2ccmjop.jpg

ropinranger":3a9lb92w said:
Can't see the images. But, sounds like a job well done!! And, wine, well deserved!!

Thank you. I had to fix the pictures. Hope they are coming through.

BTW: his Dam is the cow on the right with the HP/RP brand.

Since you pretty much know the due dates on all these AI'd cows why don't you have a calving pasture up close to the barn free of obstacles and obstructions? That's what I'd do in your situation.

Glad this had a happy ending.

Good save! Amazing the predicaments those cows/calfs get in. I once dropped trou & took a swim in the lake when it was 40 degrees to save a calf that fell in & made it half way across before she started struggling. Had no clue they could swim when they're only a few hours old. Still have her, she had her 5th calf this year :)

Nice save, Margo. Nice calf, too. What kind of wine? I prefer the local cabs from this region myself.

Glad you saved your calf. They can really get in some dangerous places. You deserved some wine after that!

TennesseeTuxedo":2khgdfog said:
Since you pretty much know the due dates on all these AI'd cows why don't you have a calving pasture up close to the barn free of obstacles and obstructions? That's what I'd do in your situation.

Moving Socks and Tatum up to bull pen this evening.

Margonme":2mvbjblh said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2mvbjblh said:

Moving Socks and Tatum up to bull pen this evening.

Good deal.

They sure can get into some bad places. I'm happy it all turned out well but glad it was you and not I, especially now that I'm limited to 1 hand. Don't figure I could have got it out with just 1. It's a nice handsome calf!

J&D Cattle":2a05vtmo said:
Not sure what part of Idaho you are in but we visited Terra Blanc Winery when we were in Washington and enjoyed their wines. My MIL mails us several bottles a year as she's in one of their clubs or something like that.

We are in the Boise are. The wine scene is growing here which is really nice. The two links I posted are about the only wineries I get wine from. The others are OK, but more expensive making it not worth it. Wine in the mail is the best!

Latest posts