Windmill/cow question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Xynituia

Reaction score
https://pestkill.org/rodents/chipmunks/best-traps/
Our neighbor has some guys leasing his land for cattle and about 20 head of cows got out onto our land, which was fine he came and got them, but it happened again and this time they broke the sucker rod on our windmill, by leaning up against it, you can see there prints and crap all around the windmill. The guy that is leasing said he is not going to fix our windmill... he said cows don't lean up against them. My question is that true? I know the guy who use to lease our land has the windmills fenced off so that his cattle couldn't get in there. Shouldn't he be held responsible?

I'm on your side. He should pay for fixing it and buy you enough Preifert Premier panels to enclose the windmill to avoid future damage.

If your windmill wasn't broken before the cows got out onto your land, and now it's broken, it's kind of a no-brainer. He better pony up, or I'd be bringing the legal heat (which is probably minimal).

Bestoutwest said:
If your windmill wasn't broken before the cows got out onto your land, and now it's broken, it's kind of a no-brainer. He better pony up, or I'd be bringing the legal heat (which is probably minimal).

You say that, what are the stock laws in his county.
In Texas you have both fence in and out counties. If your in a fence out(open range) so sad for you.

Xynituia said:
Our neighbor has some guys leasing his land for cattle and about 20 head of cows got out onto our land, which was fine he came and got them, but it happened again and this time they broke the sucker rod on our windmill, by leaning up against it, you can see there prints and crap all around the windmill. The guy that is leasing said he is not going to fix our windmill... he said cows don't lean up against them. My question is that true? I know the guy who use to lease our land has the windmills fenced off so that his cattle couldn't get in there. Shouldn't he be held responsible?

Cows dont lean up against them is hilarious haha. I cant think of a single thing i can put in the field that my cows wont mess with or scratch their butts on.

"Xynituia wrote: ↑Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:02 am
"The guy that is leasing said he is not going to fix our windmill... he said cows don't lean up against them. My question is that true?"

Not true, not hilarious. He'd have gotten an instantaneous dose of cuss words out of me with that statement.

Caustic Burno said:
Bestoutwest said:

In Texas you have both fence in and out counties. If your in a fence out(open range) so sad for you.

This is a good point. It's asinine that you'd have to fence stuff out, but a lot of laws are idiotic.

Maybe call the sheriff and explain the problem. I would bet he could talk him into fixing the problem. If not he will tell you what to do if they get over on your land again. And yes Cowgal is right, they were using the sucker rod to scratch.

bird dog said:
Maybe call the sheriff and explain the problem. I would bet he could talk him into fixing the problem. If not he will tell you what to do if they get over on your land again. And yes Cowgal is right, they were using the sucker rod to scratch.

Thank the lord for cowgirl, our savior. Maybe she let you stay at her Palm Springs home in the off season.

Well, "technically" the guy is correct. Cattle don't really spend time LEANING on things. They rub their body, their heads, their backs, their butts, etc. on EVERYTHING they can reach to satisfy an itch. And they are extremely powerful.
We put up a hunting blind in the woods on 10' 6x6 posts, cross boards on all 4 sides to stabilize the structure. We decided to let the cattle into the woods to clear out some "paths" for the deer. We put 2 strands of fence around the hunting blind so that the cattle did not knock it down. They definitely would have.

Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:
Bestoutwest said:

This is a good point. It's asinine that you'd have to fence stuff out, but a lot of laws are idiotic.

Just head a short ways west. Baker, Malheur, and Harney counties in Oregon which border Idaho are all open range. In fact the vast majority or eastern Oregon is that way. I would bet money that huge parts of Idaho are too.

We have both fence in and fence out counties here. But, our rules on the fence out - free range - counties is that if the animals do damage we are responsible for it. This is "interpretable" but it is mostly for cattle doing serious damage to stuff, not just eating grass or some simple damage to plants. Therefore, it makes more sense to just fence everything in. But then again, if you are in a fence out - free range - county, then you should know the rules and the person whose cows got out and did damage to the windmill, may have some responsibility. If it is a fence in county, then they are definitely responsible for the damage. It would be in your best interest to find out what the "FENCING LAWS" are. Calling the sheriff's office is probably a good thing too. If this person is going to not take reasonable care to make sure the animals are contained, there may be some recourse for you. And if it becomes a regular occurrence, there are steps that a sheriff or other person of authority can take.
In the meantime, put up some sort of a fence, around the windmill, preferably a 2 strand HOT WIRE that will fry their a$$ if they touch it.

Dave said:
Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:

Just head a short ways west. Baker, Malheur, and Harney counties in Oregon which border Idaho are all open range. In fact the vast majority or eastern Oregon is that way. I would bet money that huge parts of Idaho are too.
I'm not really sure, to be honest. We have a bit, but we also have a lot of BLM grazing which is fenced on the borders, and a lot of wilderness that is inaccessible to anything. Around me there isn't any.

Bestoutwest said:
Dave said:
Bestoutwest said:

I'm not really sure, to be honest. We have a bit, but we also have a lot of BLM grazing which is fenced on the borders, and a lot of wilderness that is inaccessible to anything. Around me there isn't any.

We have fences too. Open range doesn't mean what it meant a hundred years ago with critters roaming every where and anywhere. It means if you don't want livestock wandering on to your property you have to fence them out. If they keep coming on you need to build a better fence. If they eat the flowers in your flower bed or crops in the field it is all the same. It means if you hit a cow on the road with your car, you pay for the cow and your own repair bill. The owner of the cow is not on the hook for anything including medical bills.

Yep..what Dave said above.
No more Open Range in my county but I can remember when it was open.
On the road leading to town (7 miles away) there was a big cattle guard at the county line and everyone between here and that line had cattle guards at their driveway...some are still there.

Anyone that says cattle won't/don't rub against anything they can is either a bald faced liar trying to cover their ass or they don't know anything about cows.

I've seen some that just liked to push on things too..sometimes, immovable things.

Who here hasn't had a truck side mirror knocked off or at least knocked askew from where it was when you got out of the truck?
If you value your spray nozzles, don't ever leave your spray unit unattended in a pasture cows are in....you can guess how I learned that

Latest posts